Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amount of free time
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmatt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always worked 1-9 shifts or evenings and valued the time in the mornings to go running or to the gym before work (granted, I had a 5 minute walk to work), as well as the time to go out and drink and eat after work knowing I didn't have to be up at the crack, again, this was in Tokyo.

Had plenty of free time to do what I wanted, but that said, working a full-time eikaiwa job can be draining and leave little time to study Japanese unless motivated to do so.
southofreality

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having your free time be either only in the mornings or at night on workdays will get old... Make the most of your weekends.
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

southofreality wrote:
Having your free time be either only in the mornings or at night on workdays will get old.
That's what most people in the world have anyway, isn't it?

Quote:
Make the most of your weekends.
Eikaiwa workers early on may have "weekends" with split days, like Sunday and Tuesday, so it's hard on newbies to get used to that and plan any extended fun, but yes, make the most of it.
Vince

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At both of the eikaiwa where I worked, the lessons followed a format that was easy to plug into on the spot. That was all you could do, because you had no way of knowing what mix of students you'd get in your non-regular lessons. Kids lessons and regularly scheduled lessons required a little more planning, but I was easily able to plan those lessons during my train commute. It comes down to how long and how intensive the classes are, and how much experience you have.

I too am deep into my interests, and I get frustrated if they start slipping away from me. Hopefully, I'll be able to keep up with them if I return to TEFL. It just takes some flexibility. Astronomy is a good example. When I can't work on observing projects as much as I'd like, I can read more about what I'm observing or do quick binocular observations (which I can keep in a backpack and use anywhere).

Last edited by Vince on Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
southofreality

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
southofreality wrote:
Having your free time be either only in the mornings or at night on workdays will get old.
That's what most people in the world have anyway, isn't it?

I meant 'night' being from 9:00 or later. Plenty of people get off work early enough to have evenings free, Glenski.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: