Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interviewing with Interac
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haruka

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the interview part, just smile and be genuine. The recruiters see enough people to be able to tell when you're faking it.
ssjup81

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting down to it, I'm more nervous about the demo lesson than the actual interview. lol
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ZennoSaji

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah based on what Haruka said, that will be the most challenging part. I did everything that was suggested, except the props and creative take on the lesson. So, apparently doing the demo right is crucial! XD
ssjup81

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finally decided on the subject and what to do for the scenario working with third-year elementary-school students, and I've decided on which subject I want to tackle for the mock highschool class, but...I don't have much experience with highschool kids at all. The highschoolers I deal with at the eikaiwa are only there for conversation, no assignments, work, etc. Even when doing ALT work, I was mostly with elementary and JHS kids, and even then, I rarely did anything with the rising highschool students (sannensei) outside of the speech contest stuff. I was mostly with the inchinensei.

What types of activities have you all done with highschool students? My worry is that what I decide to do will come across as being too kiddy and how I'd come across as more so patronizing.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kah5217

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my demo on the 1st. I hope my lesson is creative enough. My only worry is that they might think my "hide and seek" direction game is too silly.
ZennoSaji

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kah: Is there any way you can change it to "Where is the fashion store?" and "Where did you buy that video game?" or anything like that? That would keep with directions and make it more interesting to high schoolers.
Haruka

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an excellent idea! And it's a creative take in the directions format.

Don't worry too much about the activity seeming "too young." My session's demos were all for little ones and we had a great time participating in each others' lessons.
ssjup81

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, I'm by myself. I'm not with other people. I have to tape my demo and send it in as opposed to going to a recruitment center (or however you'd refer to it as) and mingle with other candidates for the position because of my work schedule and being too far from Tokyo to do everything in person (in a way I prefer this). I have to do everything online. ^^
OneJoelFifty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssjup81 wrote:
What types of activities have you all done with highschool students? My worry is that what I decide to do will come across as being too kiddy and how I'd come across as more so patronizing.

This morning I reviewed comparatives and superlatives with my 1st grade highschool class. They were in teams, and had a series of competitions. Spelling (cleverer, cleverest), arm wrestling (stronger, strongest), etc. For the warm-up I had them all stand and we did higher, lower with a pack of cards. They had to guess whether the next card was going to be higher or lower, and sit down when they guessed incorrectly. The last student standing was the winner. They loved that.

For a normal class I actually do similar things with my 1st grade highschool students to what I do with my 1st and 2nd grade junior highschool students, minus most of the fun.

They are generally noisier, less enthusiastic, and although the level of their grammar studies has risen dramatically, their speaking ability has somehow decreased. They put in less effort and so find it less rewarding. It's impossible to force them to speak English, and during the speaking exercises they are likely to chat away in Japanese. The one thing I can do is check whether they have completed their worksheets, and anyone who hasn't gets to come to the teachers' room after school and complete it with me.

That's not to say that I don't enjoy teaching them, because I generally do. I've just come to consider a class in which no one is sleeping, everyone completes or makes a good attempt at completing the worksheet, and most students practice a bit of English as a success.
kah5217

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZennoSaji wrote:
kah: Is there any way you can change it to "Where is the fashion store?" and "Where did you buy that video game?" or anything like that? That would keep with directions and make it more interesting to high schoolers.

It's not really hide and seek, I was just being vague so people don't steal my ideas. Razz
Pitarou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kah5217 wrote:
ZennoSaji wrote:

It's not really hide and seek, I was just being vague so people don't steal my ideas. Razz

You're new at this game, aren't you.
kah5217

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I am a little cynical, but it wouldn't be the first time I got bitten for sharing information before an interview.
Pitarou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kah5217 wrote:
Perhaps I am a little cynical, but it wouldn't be the first time I got bitten for sharing information before an interview.
Fair enough.

For what it's worth, lesson ideas are ten-a-penny. Have a look here, if you haven't already: http://www.eslcafe.com/ideas/. There are hundreds more lists like this all over the Internet. A lesson is 1% inspiration, 99% implementation.
kah5217

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three days left to go before my interview. Any last minute hints? I have my demo plan, I have a nice outfit, and I have some questions already in mind for the recruiter.
ZennoSaji

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be too serious. :3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: