Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Minimum age to work in Saudi?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaronsevilla

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Minimum age to work in Saudi? Reply with quote

Hello chaps,

I have searched all over the internet and I am yet to find an answer to this question: What is the minimum age requirement to work in Saudi Arabia? I have seen different recruiters advertise different ages (24-30) so I was hoping someone here could be able to tell me for certain

I was hoping I could use this opportunity to see if anyone could give me an honest answer to my job prospects in Saudi next year. I am 24 years old with a MA (and BA, both in English from a UK university) and I am currently working in Spain (teaching English, first year of experience). So by June I will have MA and 1 year of experience. Is this enough to begin working there? I have seen adverts from recruiters that it would be. But with such little experience, will they consider me as a serious candidate?
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My impression, from one interview with a somewhat shady company last March followed by a lot of googling at the same time, is that you need to be at least 28 to get a work permit and/or iqama.

This company instead offered to bring me in on a business permit, for which either there is no minimum age, or the minimum was under my then-age of 23 (and by the transitive property, under your and my current age of 24). Working on a business visa is, of course illegal, common among shady employers, and highly discouraged by posters on this forum.

Regards,
~Q
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Minimum age to work in Saudi? Reply with quote

aaronsevilla wrote:
I am 24 years old with a MA (and BA, both in English from a UK university) and I am currently working in Spain (teaching English, first year of experience). So by June I will have MA and 1 year of experience. Is this enough to begin working there? I have seen adverts from recruiters that it would be. But with such little experience, will they consider me as a serious candidate?

What's your rush? At your young age, you should focus on building experience at your first teaching job; you don't want to come across as flighty by subsequent potential employers.

You didn't mention if you had a CELTA or equivalent TEFL cert, but a relevant MA + a valid TEFL cert + several years of teaching experience at the tertiary level will improve your chances for the better jobs in Saudi Arabia and the Gulf in general.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never met anyone as young as 24 teaching in KSA. Employers - and students - expect a bit more maturity !
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine a place more inappropriate for a young, inexperienced teacher than Saudi Arabia. Personally I think that having the age being 28 or more is one of their more sensible rules. (nothing personal aaronsevilla)

VS
fledex

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I worked with you know who in Qassim, a teacher, about age 19, was hired. That he was younger than most of the students didn't go over well with the university. They were pretty scared to put him in any classes. I remember him sitting in one of my classes observing (an idea one of the administrators had that he might learn to teach that way). He was texting on his phone the whole time. Needless to say, he lasted about three months and then pulled a fledex one night.
Jessiemiles

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a list of requirements for employment visas from a visa agent that was recommended to me.

http://www.amrotravel.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=95&Itemid=81

According to #11, the minimum age is 22.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: