Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does turning down a contract =not able to reapply next year?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tashabee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Does turning down a contract =not able to reapply next year? Reply with quote

Hi all!

My first post on here Smile

I'm trying to decide where to start my venture into teaching and went and applied to a number of different places - including a conversation school in Indonesia, EPIK and to an ALT dispatch agency in Japan. I've had successful interviews for each, and hopefully will be getting contracts through soon - which is GREAT but I'm worried that some / all of these places will not let me apply again.

I'm most worried about Indonesia as they've got a really great deal that would sponsor my CELTA, but I'm tempted by Seoul as I could save loads in my first year then maybe do my CELTA sponsorship in Indo next year.

Just wondering if anyone's had experience of how places react to you turning down offers? I am worried about burning bridges before I've even begun! So might just go for the option that is now or never!

Any advice very much appreciated Smile x
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just thinking about this. My viewpoint is that if the director has changed, then you might be ok. Also, if your situation has changed, ie, you wanted to study, or follow your partner, then it might be ok.

Every place is different. Some places won't offer you a job again, some will.
Tudor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recognise your username from another forum tashabee, so if I may...

At the moment, you're hot property in Indoneisa because you have an English degree and (theoretically) that's what's required to get a work permit. If the situation is still the same in a year's time, then you'll still be hot property. However, if the situation changes (which I doubt but you never know) then schools can afford to be more choosy and won't need to dangle carrots in front of prospective employers such as a sponsered CELTA.

I think the offer will still be there in a year's time, but obviously no-one can guarantee that. Oh, and by the way, the school in Jakarta is a language school, not a 'conversation school' whatever one of those is Cool
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Does turning down a contract =not able to reapply next y Reply with quote

tashabee wrote:
Just wondering if anyone's had experience of how places react to you turning down offers? I am worried about burning bridges before I've even begun!

I can't speak for specific countries, but I'd argue that it generally depends on 1) whether you possess the qualifications the employer desires, and 2) how tactful/professional you were in turning down that initial job offer. Of course, it also helps if the employer has a strong need for instructors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: