Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ras Al Khaima ???? American Academy for Girls

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaharaDesert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Ras Al Khaima ???? American Academy for Girls Reply with quote

I know that this forum is for those who teach at the university level but
I was wondering if anyone had any information about this school ?

Also what is it like to live in Ras Al Khaima ? Is it like Al Ain ?
iggyb

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only been in RAK and the country/region for 2 months, but it is fine for me.

If you are younger, you might find there isn't much of a nightlight compared to bigger cities, but several coworkers go to Dubai regularly. It is a relatively short drive.

The sea and beach are the biggest selling point.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAK is more commercial/industrial where Al-Ain is more agricultural. Al-Ain is a bit warmer, but way less humid. RAK has the sea and Al-Ain has the mountains. RAK used to be smaller, but not sure if that is true anymore.

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"for those who teach at the university level"

I thought the forum was for everyone teaching English !
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I think SaharaD has confused the fact that this is an ESL/EFL board and not a board targeted to K-12 teachers. Thus there is little info here for someone who is interested in teaching regular Elementary School for instance.

VS
iggyb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is construction all over RAK. Some of the locals at our school say it is going the way of Abu Dhabi and Dubai as the government pumps in lots of developmental money...
Kally Wally

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
RAK is more commercial/industrial where Al-Ain is more agricultural. Al-Ain is a bit warmer, but way less humid. RAK has the sea and Al-Ain has the mountains. RAK used to be smaller, but not sure if that is true anymore.

VS

eh, the last time I was in Al Ain, admittedly quite a while ago, there was only one 'mountain', heck maybe I'm wrong, maybe the shiekhs have built a couple more since my last visit.......

RAK has the beach and the mountains, Al Ain has one mountain and a huge beach, it must be, what, 120 clicks to the sea. Shocked
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably one would have a car and could actually drive around a whole range of mountains on the border between Oman and the UAE. I didn't restrict the definition to the city limits. I always enjoyed the drive through the mountains from Al-Ain to Sohar.

As I recall, one would have to drive a ways to reach the mountains near RAK... but one can see them off in the distance. Laughing

To me the biggest advantage of Al-Ain is the lack of the horrendous humidity of the cities along the sea. But then I am not a beach person. I lived in Abu Dhabi for nearly 4 years and never went to the beach once. (lived 6.5 years in Oman and never went to a beach there either)

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: