Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Applying before I have degree certificate?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arguss

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Applying before I have degree certificate? Reply with quote

Here's the situation: want to teach in China, have read up on it, know they typically require a college degree and whatnot. Problem is this: I'm still in college and don't graduate until December. My school says it'll take 6-8 weeks to do all the paperwork before giving me my certificate, which puts them giving it to me the week of Chinese New Year, when I'm told a lot of Chinese foreign offices for schools close down. I want to start on the Feb/Mar hiring season, which means either I have to somehow convince my school to do my diploma early, or apply to jobs while I don't actually have my degree yet.

Advice? Could I reasonably apply to jobs, given I have a resume, passport, photo, and all of that, but not my degree certificate yet, and promise to get it to them in January? As I understand it, it's part of the requirements for the proper Z visa to teach in the country, so I don't know what kind of time they need before the teaching semester starts.

EDIT: Also, I'm looking to apply for a University position, one of those low-paying jobs that are 12-20 hours a week, if that helps clarify things.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

problem is, you want to work on a legal z-visa. the degree is only
one of the requirements. you're still missing the "and whatnot."
chinatimes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, I'm looking to apply for a University position, one of those low-paying jobs that are 12-20 hours a week, if that helps clarify things.

Why are you so specific on the kind of job you want?
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking for one of those "low paying" gigs, you do not need a uni degree at all.

Just find a recruiter and he/she will get you slid in.

The higher paying ones, at least on entry-level, will need qualifications coming out of your ying-yang.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why won't the head of the department where you completed your major, write a letter stating that you have completed the requirements of the degree and that a formal certificate will be issued on (date)?
This situation would not be rarity.
Arguss

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

choudoufu wrote:
problem is, you want to work on a legal z-visa. the degree is only
one of the requirements. you're still missing the "and whatnot."

Do you mean the two years experience? I was planning on claiming experience as a Teacher's Assistant/Tutor that I was doing while I was in University.

chinatimes wrote:
Quote:
Also, I'm looking to apply for a University position, one of those low-paying jobs that are 12-20 hours a week, if that helps clarify things.

Why are you so specific on the kind of job you want?

On other threads, the OP was berated for not being specific enough when asking newbie questions about China, so I thought to add specific details to avoid that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: