Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa Question from Nervous Nelly Gringo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Visa Question from Nervous Nelly Gringo Reply with quote

Yes, I only start a thread when I'm worried. lol

European friends have told me that the Chinese government is cracking down on visas for U.S. citizens (which I am). Is this true?

I work at a public vocational college and I am due to renew my contract in early December (March to March contract). I guess everything is OK, but what about the future? No kidding- I do have a very open mind on getting married in China. Long story on that, but nothing strange about it. I'd like to settle in Yunnan teaching and studying languages there.

Under current visa regulations, I am amply qualified to teach English in colleges or universities. I am hoping that if there is a crackdown, I'd be one of the later Yankee Hegemonists to feel it. Or should I get that 'Panama or bust' suitcase open?
johntpartee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did the European friends get their info? Why would they know anything about US-China relations in the first place?
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johntpartee wrote:
Where did the European friends get their info? Why would they know anything about US-China relations in the first place?

They said they heard it from American friends/colleagues. That their American friends had said so. That immigration was making it tougher for Americans. So this is just another rumor then?

I'm just checking on this forum to see if anybody else heard similar information. Maybe they were just unprepared for the new visa rules that went into effect this year.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/aug/20/news/la-trb-china-new-visa-rules-20120817

If switching schools, I would need to satisfy all those requirements anyway. As I said, I'm a knee-jerk nervous nelly tending toward catastrophising before getting the facts. Sorry.
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johntpartee wrote:

They said they heard it from American friends/colleagues. That their American friends had said so. That immigration was making it tougher for Americans. So this is just another rumor then?

I'm just checking on this forum to see if anybody else heard similar information. Maybe they were just unprepared for the new visa rules that went into effect this year.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/aug/20/news/la-trb-china-new-visa-rules-20120817

If switching schools, I would need to satisfy all those requirements anyway. As I said, I'm a knee-jerk nervous nelly tending toward catastrophising before getting the facts. Sorry.
Guerciotti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the article the new travel requirements are quite strict. Pay for flights and hotel rooms before the visa is approved? That''s draconian.

I have also heard this rumor. I have a side job that I can live without. When I asked anyone about finding a replacement the answer was that American visas are now more difficult to get.

So you're not the only one to hear this rumor.

The article does not discuss Z visas. I might see if I can find anything with respect to Z visas on the websites mentioned in the article.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: