Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Millionaire Teachers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaffa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Millionaire Teachers Reply with quote

Wow, those HK streets can be paved with gold.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20085558
HungGarTiger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the epitome of everything wrong with todays society, I don't doubt that a lot of teachers have gotten (fairly) rich off of over privileged self-entitled students - but to call them millionare tutors is a stretch.

If this report is true then it makes me sick, and I will be losing more faith in society than I already have. Basing a career off of how you look rather than how you teach is the corner stone of todays youth and society.

Apart from anything, is this materialistic approach to marketing teaching young kids anything right? Besides, getting high grades and looking great all the time? I would question a lot of the things learned from guy who is purely "on special ring-binders and folders". Why is it that many international universities dis-regard students from Chinese educational backgrounds? Even though their scores are "through the roof"?? I ask myself that question every day...
RiverMystic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's simply pathetic, anf unfortunately reflects the worst of HK and Confucian culture: face over substance. Education has completely lost its soul, is completely commoditised, and has become a race for status and money - much more so than most.
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RiverMystic wrote:
It's simply pathetic, anf unfortunately reflects the worst of HK and Confucian culture: face over substance. Education has completely lost its soul, is completely commoditised, and has become a race for status and money - much more so than most.

But locals are dumb enough to buy into all that?

Amazing, if so.
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solar Strength wrote:

But locals are dumb enough to buy into all that?

Amazing, if so.
If they have enough money to buy into anything, they'll believe it...and it isn't just a Hong Kong thing either....it is certainly true of Koreans as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: