Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching Job in Cairo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
izzi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Teaching Job in Cairo Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

I am an English teacher currently teaching my first year in Saudi Arabia. I have a Bachelor's degree in History with a teaching certificate (no experience other than student teaching) and a Master of TESOL. I just recently got married to an Egyptian. I am trying to find a job in Egypt for the next school year, except I have no idea where to look or what avenues to use to find a job. I would really like to continue teaching EFL, preferably to students who are 17 or older, but I have no problem teaching in a high school. To be with my husband I would even take a job teaching history (8-12) at this point, even as much as I hate it.

If anyone here has any advice on how to job search online and in Cairo, as I am there about every two months, please let me know. Your advice and guidance is desperately needed. I miss my husband! And, I am tired of this Abaya. Oh..and Im from the US.

Izzi
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully Justcollen will arrive here and have some more specific advice - though she is in Alexandria, but I just wanted to say that you shouldn't have much trouble finding something quickly. At this time in Cairo employers are certainly having problems finding native speaker teachers. Even with your limited experience, your teaching cert and an MA should mean little problem finding a job. Not to mention that one can live quite well from private lessons there.

Even if the first job isn't stellar, once you are there, you should be able to find something better quite soon. You might want to check out the AMIDEAST website and see what they have going in Cairo right now.

I'm not sure of what issues you might encounter getting a work visa. First off, there seems to be crowds in front of the Mogamma these days Shocked, and the government has become very particular about visas these days. I know nothing about spousal visas.

And yeah... no abayas required. Cool

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And salaries are miniscule in comparison to KSA !
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not true if you have the credentials to get a job at AUC or CAC. They will match or exceed what you were paid at KFUPM.

But those are the plum jobs... AUC requires an MA plus plenty of related experience and CAC requires a current teaching license and plenty of experience. (if you have a few years of experience teaching history, izzi, check their website for openings)

VS
justcolleen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree; Cairo American College should be number one on the list - and it pays really, really well.

OP, here's my two piesters:

Apply in person and when you do, DO NOT tell them your husband is Egyptian until you have to as this will change the package you are offered. Don't lie if they ask you, but don't offer the information, even if someone mentions it in passing. Why? Because if you have an Egyptian husband you won't require as much money or benefits because it's his job to take care of you blah, blah, blah.

Your husband will be able to secure a residence permit for you with no problems, however it will be stamped into your passport (in bold, red letters) that you are not permitted to work. Your future employer will have to get a work permit for you and with your education and credentials, that should not be a problem. Well, as of today anyway, but who knows what will happen tomorrow.

Even if you are not hired at CAC, don't fret. There are a kajillion other schools in Cairo, only a hand full of foreign teachers, and fewer qualified foreign teachers. There are also language academies throughout the city, which may be more of what you're looking for if you prefer teaching adults.

Anything else? Just ask.
PierogiMonster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Izzi

Have you thought about the British Council? They're in Cairo, Heliopolis and, I believe, a couple of other places. I started with them three months ago and am pretty satisified. They teach a whole range of classes: YL, General English, IELTS, Business, Corporate Classes.

(Yes, most of the teachers there are British, but there are also Ozzies and Canadians, not to mention plenty of Egyptian English teachers).

PM
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pierogi... did you find out what the Arabic word for "pierogi" is? Cool

VS
PierogiMonster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi VS

Yes, I believe it's something called 'Inshallah'. I know Egypt is famous for its Polish-style pierogi and every time somebody promises something here they finish with the word 'Inshallah'. What a great country!

PM
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing

VS
izzi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the prompt replies. Here is what Im running into:

I dont think I have the experience for the higher up international schools. This is my first year teaching in Saudi and my first job ever. I am qualified to teach ESL with an MA in TESOL. So, thats what I want to focus on finding a job doing.

I went to the Amideast website and they dont have anything listed from the office in Cairo. The same thing at the British Council. Maybe Im not going to the correct places on the websites.

I will be going to Cairo for 7 days in January and 7 days in March to visit my husband. Any info on where I might go to get a job would be great. I wont mention anything about my husband to anybody unless they ask. Thanks for that advice.
izzi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, are there language schools for people entering university? I like teaching this age group a lot. Thanks

Last edited by izzi on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
PierogiMonster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Izzy

Try this: it should get you there:

https://jobs.britishcouncil.org/login.aspx

If not, send me a PM.
justcolleen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

izzi wrote:
I dont think I have the experience for the higher up international schools. This is my first year teaching in Saudi and my first job ever. I am qualified to teach ESL with an MA in TESOL. So, thats what I want to focus on finding a job doing.

I wouldn't rule out teaching ESL (not "English") at a top or, if you had to, middle tier international school. The new trend in the competitive world of private schools is to offer an ESL program.

(How do I know this? Because I just bagged one. Mabrookalations to me!)

Your qualifications are top of the line so don't dismiss what you have to offer or doubt yourself.

izzi wrote:
I went to the Amideast website and they dont have anything listed from the office in Cairo. The same thing at the British Council. Maybe Im not going to the correct places on the websites.

Job searching in Egypt is a walk-in venture. You won't find much on the internet.

izzi wrote:
I will be going to Cairo for 7 days in January and 7 days in March to visit my husband. Any info on where I might go to get a job would be great. I wont mention anything about my husband to anybody unless they ask. Thanks for that advice.

Call Not Courses while you're here.

http://www.notcourses.com/

I don't know about now, but last year they were offering 12,000 LE/month and a work permit. That's not a shabby salary.

izzi wrote:
Also, are there language schools for people entering university? I like teaching this age group a lot. Thanks

There are language schools and academies for every age group you can imagine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: