Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not everyone is willing to come here, so why all the hassle?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teechagimme

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Not everyone is willing to come here, so why all the hassle? Reply with quote

It seems like it has been a hassle every step of the way. First the consulate made me resubmit the visa application about thirty times, then the airline had the worst customer service ever, and now as I am clearly growing into my new job and doing a bit better every week, I'm getting hassled over every little mistake...things like a hash mark in the wrong place on a form seem to throw these people over the edge. I don't understand it. Why, if they bleeding need us, must they go on power trips and treat us so poorly?
[/code]
cairanya

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Not everyone is willing to come here, so why all the has Reply with quote

teechagimme wrote:
It seems like it has been a hassle every step of the way. First the consulate made me resubmit the visa application about thirty times, then the airline had the worst customer service ever, and now as I am clearly growing into my new job and doing a bit better every week, I'm getting hassled over every little mistake...things like a hash mark in the wrong place on a form seem to throw these people over the edge. I don't understand it. Why, if they bleeding need us, must they go on power trips and treat us so poorly?
[/code]

They don't see it this way. They see us less as necessary employees and more as slaves. What I read via Google Translate makes me very, very nervous.

I will say that I'll be gloating a bit when the Arctic opens up and their oil's gone. Whatever power they have will be gone in about fifteen or twenty years.
nickelgoat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by nickelgoat on Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:57 am; edited 1 time in total
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, they definitely don't think you are something special just for being willing to teach in KSA. You should be grateful that they've employed you Laughing Cool
And, frankly, there are lots of people willing to serve some time in the sand in return for tax-free salaries, especially in the current economy.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
And, frankly, there are lots of people willing to serve some time in the sand in return for tax-free salaries, especially in the current economy.

Plus, not all of us experienced a similar hassle with the visa process nor work in such a dysfunctional environment.
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Not everyone is willing to come here, so why all the has Reply with quote

cairanya wrote:
teechagimme wrote:
[/code]

They don't see it this way. They see us less as necessary employees and more as slaves. What I read via Google Translate makes me very, very nervous.

I will say that I'll be gloating a bit when the Arctic opens up and their oil's gone. Whatever power they have will be gone in about fifteen or twenty years.

What is it you've read and where do you read it? I'm curious...
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Not everyone is willing to come here, so why all the has Reply with quote

teechagimme wrote:
[/code]

The online visa process seemed to be permanently broken, at least when I applied. I needed to use a visa agency to do my application, as did the 50+ people I worked with.

I found everything in Saudi to be a constant hassle, so you're not alone.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: admonition Reply with quote

I will repeat an admonition I have posted here before

CHOOSE YOUR MASTER WITH SOME CARE.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: