Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

School location help - I need to burn my Beijing blanket.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chinatimes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: School location help - I need to burn my Beijing blanket. Reply with quote

I like Beijing, you may not. It has become a security blanket for me and I have a low paying offer with a school I connect with. If I don't take it, then where in China do you recommend?

I hate these types of posts because I feel we should decide on our own. I like Korean culture, so I would like to look into Qingdao or Dalian. However, if I found a good alternative, maybe another area in China is what I need. Any suggestions?
GreatApe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that these kinds of questions always come down to WHY you choose to work where you do. Every ESL teacher that I've ever met in China has fallen into one of two camps: either they're the type of people who choose the LOCATION first, or they're the type of people who choose the JOB first.

As for me, I do my traveling during the holidays and I did my job experimentation during my first two years in China. I now work in a city that many people here think is horrible, but the job is EXCELLENT, so I have no complaints.

I've never worked in Beijing or Shanghai or Hong Kong, but I grew up in a big city and I've had enough of the Rat Race. Just my .02 RMB.

--GA
Simon in Suzhou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't really give enough information for people to give you much of a recommendation. If you like Beijing, why don't you look for ANOTHER job in Beijing? What other people like or dislike is pretty irrelevant to your happiness. Chances are if you like the big city life, you won't like life in the 2nd or 3rd tier cities. I find there are generally 2 kinds of expats...those who enjoy living in the megacities of the world and those who don't.

As far as Korean culture, I don't really know how much authentic Korean culture there is to be found in China aside from the Korean restaurants which are found in EVERY metropolitan area and are pretty much identical. All the ethnically Korean students I've had were indiscernible from the other Chinese students and I wouldn't even know they were Korean unless they told me...and I lived in South Korea for 5 years.
chinatimes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wouldn't even know they were Korean unless they told me...and I lived in South Korea for 5 years.

Chinese students I have had are like Americans, completely oblivious to the outer world. Korean students are vocal when I ask about Korea. Their behavior is also very different in the classroom.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalian and Qingdao both good with QD probably ahead ie nicer seaside ambiance.
5h09un

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you like korean culture, why not go to korea instead?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: