Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contract Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Englishpal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Contract Question Reply with quote

I was hoping for some opinions about a university contract I am being presented with.

Background information- I am supposed to be getting 2 months off during the up coming summer with one of the months being paid. The contract however does not mention anything about this. I asked the recruiter (I know, but they actually have been ok) to see about getting this put in. I was informed later that the uni was unwilling to put it in the contract because of blah, blah and something.

Question- Is it normal for a university to not mention the holiday time off and accompanying holiday pay in their contracts?
roadwalker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An oral promise in tandem with a written contract in China is as good as it is anywhere else in the world. In other words, I wouldn't spend that money just yet. Perhaps you could post the relevant clauses mentioning salary? It's possible that by not mentioning it, the contract is actually stronger in your favor, although if it was you probably wouldn't be posting here. What is the exact language? Also, I'm assuming this is a contract beginning in February and ending Dec 2012 or Jan 2013. Correct?
chinatimes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was informed later that the uni was unwilling to put it in the contract because of blah, blah and something.

If you don't want to know what it is and just write it off as "blah" is it really that important?

PM sent.
Englishpal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blah stuff consisted of ideas that sounded off to me. The main thought was that the contract was the same one that is used for all the teachers and the school could not adjust it, though they already had by allowing me 500 RMB a month for housing.

Contract specified compensation in a nutshell- 4500 RMB a month, 500 housing allowance, roundtrip ticket cost, and 2200 vacation bonus.

18 hours to teach specified start date 3-01-13

I know this is not a great deal, but it is my first job and I do not want to work at private.

Thoughts appreciated.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Contract Question Reply with quote

Englishpal wrote:
I was informed later that the uni was unwilling to put it in the contract because of blah, blah and something.

that means two months in summer is unpaid.
Englishpal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update- So, after some minor delay tactics on my end they put the summer holiday stuff in the contract while mentioning one month was payed.

Bottom line is that the contract is not that great, but for a first crack at univ. teaching I think it is bearable. I also asked to be provided with a meal card to use for lunch, but don't see it in the contract. Don't think it is worth pushing for. Any final thoughts?
choudoufu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your university will not provide an apartment......but will give you a
500 RMB housing allowance?

if you expect to rent a place (and pay utilities) on your own, i hope
that's 500 per week!

where is this university located?
chinatimes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Any final thoughts?

Make sure and sign the meal card. Store noodles can be brutal.
Englishpal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uni. offered an apartment but I passed on it as it is too small. Thought the 500, considering that they do not have to offer it was ok. I have a little reserve and am planning on putting some cash into this to offset. Not too concerned about that, provided i can get a decent place for 1500-2000RMB, which does seem doable.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah..............one of your other threads says your spouse will
also be employed in shenyang. that makes a huge difference.
two incomes (will spouse get any housing allowance?)

.......................maybe shoulda included that info here.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question of paid summer holiday is running on another current thread.
In my exp it is unlikely you would be paid for summer (2m) unless you had signed for the following academic year.
This situation reflects (a) the ongoing employment relationship and (b) an incentive to a teacher they want to retain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: