Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any chance for a non native ESL teacher in Oman
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nenna-978

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Any chance for a non native ESL teacher in Oman Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have been reading this forum for a while and I am glad to see how professional you all are. Best regards to VS, becuse she's really kind in her replies.
The point is that I am from a Europen country, mostly known by the civil wars during the last twenty years, so please ignore some of my typos and incorrect use of the phrasals. I would like to teach ESL for a while in Oman, because I am quite sure that there are no chances of landing an ESL teaching job in other ME countries.
I was wondering if there are any chances in Oman and where, when and how to start looking for them. Are there any tips which could help me find something decent in the ESL industry .Rolling Eyes
And sorry if this is a repeated topic.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The minimum requirement for a job in Oman is a related BA (English/Education/EFL) + CELTA (or another recognized 120 hr Cert with supervised classroom teaching) + 2-3 years of related experience after the Cert. As a non-native speaker, they will expect good credentials and experience.

Without those 3 bits, you have little or no chance in the Gulf - even if you were a native speaker.

So... do you have these?

VS
Turbster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must really hurt that your home country has been so badly marked by the violence and atrocities of the past. Good on you for wanting to improve yourself, your lot, and your prospects.

I am unsure whether this is of any use to you, but recent hires at the University of Nizwa include Polish, Turkmenistani, Uzbek, Mexican, Ugandan, Chinese, Nigerian, and Philipinos.

So yes, while VS is spot on about the educational and linguistic requirements, you should not let your ethnicity or nationality prevent you from applying to the ME, and Oman in particular. Good Luck.

Oh, and by the way, you have expressed yourself as well as, and better than some boardies Wink
nenna-978

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all
thanks for your replies
Well there haven't been wars for the last 11 years, but the consequences are still here. Crying or Very sad
I do have a BA with honors in English language and literature, with professional title Teacher of English language and literature, more than 10 years of primary teaching experience which include 4 years od being Head of the foreign language council, and official state license for Teaching ESL to the young and adults, but when it's about university level experience Sad
I have 2 years experience as an ESL instructor in a private language school , which actually I own Wink
I have a decent job and decent salary but I would like to travel and to challenge myself in the countries of the Middle East, and to be honest , to spend some time surrounded by truly ESL professionlas.
Do you think I have any chances, because I have tried many times and applied to a lot of ads but still nothing Confused
nenna-978

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I forgot to mention, I have enrolled a Master program recently and I have already got an offer to teach English at one private college in here, I'll probarly start teaching next week.( part-time position )
I think that I am not that good at CV writing, because you know how it goes in the small countries and specially in small towns, you don't need full CV, it goes from mouth to mouth and people are being interested in your work without any CV-s, so do you think it could be a problem for me Wink
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... you have good credentials... except for the related experience part.

How long do you think it would take you to complete the MA? If you could complete it while getting a couple of years of - even part-time - experience at this small college, you would be in much better shape as far as a job. Is that a possibility?

Have you applied through the recruiters in Oman? With no response?

VS
nenna-978

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi VS
thank you for your time and patience with me. Yes I tried TATI, but there were no responses at all. I do believe that I could complete MA within the next year, because it only lasts for one year, and I have the aim in front of me, a hope that one day I could join ESL team within some of the ME countries, and that would push me to study harder, which I don't find hard because I really enjoy English Very Happy
I've heard that some people are exeggarating about their experience but I am not that type of the person, came on, you will confront students and colleaques soon and the truth will show up.

Best regards
Nenna
balqis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also try Nizwa University/UoN.
They have been advertising recently and they recruit at regular intervals teachers for their Foundation Institute.

At the UoN website, go to Foundation Institute, and then to ''contact'' and the first email address under the ''contact'' is the FI Director's email.
Send your file therein.
Who knows. There is a number of teachers at UoN with B.A. degrees, and you are right now starting your M.A. programme, which is a credit a trifle beyond B.A, as it were.

As well as, Saudi Arabia also needs teachers, females in myriads, so you may try and send your resume there too.
However, KSA, as the Holy Land of the Muslims, is a hard environment and not everyone, women in particular, can handle the country.

Best,

balqis
nenna-978

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Balqis
I have recently tried to complete their online job application but it wasn't working so I ignored it, now I have just sent my resume to the address you have directed me to, and we'll see what's happenining.
I would be greatful for any other information.
Regards Nenna
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to do a search on here for University of Nizwa so that you are aware of the issues there. There has been lots of turmoil for the last few years and you need to be tolerant and adaptable to survive things. There are a number of really good teachers there trying to get things back on track, but it isn't easy when student intake keeps expanding quicker than they can get new teachers in...

VS
balqis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned earlier, you may also try KSA, if you are courageous and strong. They need women there in large numbers, as the tertiary female sector is only being born in KSA now.

If you are not lucky this semester, start doing your M.A degree asap and start teaching in the college asap.
After one semester you will be able to honestly put it on your CV that your M.A. degree is under way and that you have some tertiary experience, and these will add desirable airs to your CV.

In the meantime, try KSA, not only the recruiters, and they advertise almost daily, but Saudi university websites too. I met a number of young teachers in Oman who started their Arabian story in KSA and Oman was their second destination, so it looks like it might be a pattern.

Best,

Balqis

ps. from my own experience I would say that little reason and even less rationale seem to govern university employment in the Middle East; not that my comment in any manner relates to your CV, which is very nice from your own descritpion, but to a general unpredictability of employment decision - many a time whimsical - in this part of the world; so do not give up and keep trying;
nenna-978

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear VS,
We are both quite aware that it would be hard for me to land a decent ESL job, but I have decided to try even those not so good ones, but it seems that either I am not qualified enough or just not lucky enough, because there are no responses even from them Crying or Very sad

Balqis, you are very nice and you've really encouraged me to continue looking for a position. However, I have tried to land a job in KSA, but with no luck at all, and there are moments when I think that my CV isn't good enough because they are advertising ESL positions all the time, probably becuase they haven't filled all the the places, but still nothing
Crying or Very sad
Regards
Nenna
balqis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, nenna, this is the meaning of ''to persevere'' and not to give up.

You are just starting your search, you are facing difficulties and it is psychologically difficult. So all is as it should be, nothing surprising. Just practice the virtue of patience.

It would be quite a miracle to be offered a job in Oman at your wish now, today, which country, though seemingly with rather low reputation in khaleeje ESL, in fact is a jewel, rough, but a jewel, and not only for tourists, though wealthy Europeans, who wouldn't give a farthing for the heady glamour of Dubai, pay a lot of money to experience Oman's rough rural bedouine souq scents. But it is not impossible to work in Oman, but certainly new efforts of yours are needed.

Keep trying, both Saudi and Oman, and in the meantime work in the college and on your Master's.

Future is open and miracles happen every now and then

balqis
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nenna-978 wrote:
I have tried to land a job in KSA, but with no luck at all, and there are moments when I think that my CV isn't good enough because they are advertising ESL positions all the time, probably becuase they haven't filled all the the places, but still nothing.

Your nationality could be the issue. Most ads for Saudi TEFL jobs indicate specific nationalities because employers can only get visas issued for passport holders from those countries.
balqis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet, and sorry for cutting in, I have met East-European teachers in all Khaleeje countries I have worked for, also from the Balkans [ Macedonia and Serbia], Russia and Russian ex-republics, Poles, Cheks [?], Romanians, women from Baku and Latvia.

balqis

ps. and since nomad soul is writing from al mamlaka, there I met women from Baku, Latvia, Romania and Poland;

Last edited by balqis on Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: