Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volunteering

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MurdochP1983

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Volunteering Reply with quote

Hi there,

First of all, I'm sorry if this topic has been done to death.

I have obtained 100 hours of TEFL training so far, I'd like to complete at least 20 more in the coming months.

I am strongly considering doing TEFL in 2/3 years time once my current job ends.

I have thought about doing some volunteer work to get a feel for it and get some teaching experience also.

Does volunteering work carry any weight with potential employers or do they prefer solid teaching experiance and/or a CELTA?

Thanks
Paul
tttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Volunteering Reply with quote

MurdochP1983 wrote:
Hi there,

First of all, I'm sorry if this topic has been done to death.

I have obtained 100 hours of TEFL training so far, I'd like to complete at least 20 more in the coming months.

I am strongly considering doing TEFL in 2/3 years time once my current job ends.

I have thought about doing some volunteer work to get a feel for it and get some teaching experience also.

Does volunteering work carry any weight with potential employers or do they prefer solid teaching experiance and/or a CELTA?

Thanks
Paul

Here's the ultimate answer... it depends and maybe.

It depends on:

i) Your qualifications (do you have a legitimate Bachelors degree)?
ii) Are you a native speaker (hold a passport from one of: UK, USA, Canada, Australia, NZ (sometimes Ireland and South Africa are also included in the list)?
iii) How old are you?
iv) Did your 120 hours of TEFL instruction include observed practicum with real students?
v) What part of the planet do you want to work in?

As to your experience... again, it depends...
How many hours?
What type of teaching?
What ages?
Can you document it (from the organization or by photos)?

CELTA is but one of many brands of TESOL/TEFL course/certificate.
There ARE other that are just as good, just as reputable and just about as widely recognized (Trinity cert TESOL (from the UK) and SIT cert TESOL (from the US) are 2 of the more notable.

MurdochP1983

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Thanks for your response.

I hold a legitimate Batchelors Degree and a UK passport.

I am 29 years old.

The TEFL qualifications I have did not involve any interaction with real students, so I'm keen to do this before I venture abroad long term.

I would like to teach in Thailand.

I have looked into a few companies that do volunteer work, they tend to be with younger students and are approx 4 45 minute classes per day (plus lesson planning), 5 days a week.

Most will offer a certificate of completion once the volunteer project has been completed.

Kind Regards
Paul
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MurdochP1983 wrote:
Does volunteering work carry any weight with potential employers...?

Not really, if you're just starting out in TEFL. For entry-level spots, mentioning volunteer work on your CV simply indicates you have an interest in the field. On the other hand, it does give you a taste of teaching, especially if you want to "try out" TESL/TEFL before jumping into it as a career. It's also a good way to network. Moreover, depending on the role, volunteer teaching offers the opportunity to develop basic teaching skills and be mentored.
coledavis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I did before taking the full-time plunge was part-time employment, teaching Polish beginners two evenings a week at a local language school. Good experience and makes a heavier workload less daunting because at least you've got the hang of things, especially if you occasionally respond to requests to provide extra cover.
MurdochP1983

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses, it's appreciated.

I definitely want to do some hands on teaching abroad before taking the plunge and starting a TEFL career.

This will give me a chance to live and work abroad and also as mentioned on a previous post, develop basic teaching methods and hopefully have a mentor along the way.

Cheers
Paul
Ariadne

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it is necessary to point out that volunteer teaching experience was volunteer work. Just put the information on your resume.. where, when, what you taught, and for whom you worked.

My opinion, yours may be different.

coledavis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is a sensible suggestion.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You qualify for work in Thailand.
You have the required paperwork and visa for a job in Thailand.
You have the documentation for a proper visa and work permit in Thailand.

All you have to do is get on a plane and get to BKK.

Best time to arrive in Thailand is April.
A LARGE number of schools and language academies will be looking for new staff to begin the new school year on May 16.

Get a double entry, 60-day tourist visa.
Go to BKK.
Find a job.
Change your status from tourist to non-b (you will need a job, original degree, transcripts and a police background check).
Get your work permit.
Enjoy your sojourn for as long as you want to stay in the tropics.

Chances of finding a job are 100%.

Entry level salaries for "fresh-off-the-plane" newbies is in the 32-36k THB range.
After you get settled into the LOS and prove yourself in the classroom you will soon find opportunities for upward mobility and/or increased income will find you. It is not what you know as much as who you know and more importantly, who knows you.

Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're interested in volunteering, the Georgian government has a program where they set you up in a homestay with room and board provided and a $300 dollar stipend. I considered it when I first started out, but the homestay bit was a deal-breaker for me, and would have been even if it had been substantially less than the year minimum of the time. However now they offer terms of less than a year (3, 4, or 5 months).

For some reason the Georgian government seems to staff this program exclusively through two recruiters: Greenheart Travel, who advertize on this site, and Footprints, rather than do it professionally themselves, like Japan, Korea, and Hong Kong (plus the JET, EPIK, and NET programs actually pay decently and put you up in proper housing or let you find your own accommodation).

But if you're interested, like kids, and can tolerate a home stay, I imagine it's got to be pretty easy to get into, and Georgia is a beautiful country with very friendly people (though chain smoking seems to be an even bigger pasttime than in Turkey, with the added factor of Georgians having a horrible tendency to smoke indoors).

Regards,
~Q
MurdochP1983

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for taking the time to respond.

I definitely want to do some volunteer work, I have done training before, so I'm ok with standing up in front of people, but would like to do some hands on teaching.

I'll look into the Georgia option, could provide some good experience.

Many thanks guys
Paul
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ariadne wrote:
I don't think it is necessary to point out that volunteer teaching experience was volunteer work. Just put the information on your resume.. where, when, what you taught, and for whom you worked.

My opinion, yours may be different.

If it's known that the prospective employer values volunteer teaching experience, then yes, no need to make a distinction between paid and volunteer time. (Personally, I'd still label it as volunteerism.) However, if the employer is expecting to see paid/professional relevant experience and is basing their hiring and/or salary decision on it, then no, don't include your volunteerism as work experience---keep it separate. Best to be transparent about your qualifications; otherwise, it might come back to bite you.
Ariadne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you are right Nomad. However, volunteering is not very well understood in some parts of the world. Many employers, in China certainly, would be unfamiliar with it and might discount its value. I'm not suggesting that people should lie about their experience. As an example, while I did a university TESOL course I worked with foreign students for many hours each week, in addition to my coursework. I listed it on my resume. It was, indeed, relevant work experience. I did not suggest that I had been paid for the work, I just indicated what I did, how many hours I worked each week, and over what period of time. Pointing it out as (only) volunteer work would have served no purpose that I can see. I also put in more than double the required hours at my practicum. I listed that on my resume as well.

golsa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MurdochP1983 wrote:
Thanks guys for taking the time to respond.

I definitely want to do some volunteer work, I have done training before, so I'm ok with standing up in front of people, but would like to do some hands on teaching.

I'll look into the Georgia option, could provide some good experience.

Many thanks guys
Paul

This might be a bit late, but due to a change in government, the Georgian government program isn't accepting new volunteers until July or August. However, with your qualifications, it's possible for you to find work that pays in the ballpark of $900-$1,200 per month in the capitol city. The catch is that you must be here in the flesh and knock on doors to find a job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: