Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job seeker ramble
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janiny

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again. I hope you all enjoyed my semi-fictitious, half-remembered Shane dialog. Razz

Looking over the thread, I think this deserves a bit of support
vikeologist wrote:
Vocab Police alert. I don't know. I think 'baldly' is ok as an adverb. I'm not saying it's common, but the meaning is clear. As a Brit, I have to put up with much worse transgressions from colonists almost daily.

Anyway, I'm not sure that every single Shane is going to be bad. I don't doubt that as an organisation they may have faults, but there probably are good branches out there.

However, almost certainly most of them should be avoided.
(my emboldening, sorry for the American language, mate)

I'm a DOS at a Uni, and we take on newly qualified teachers, though the standard of applicants is currently very god [sic], and experience is increasingly an advantage.

I'd say where you're going wrong is by using recruiters. (I would go out on a limb and say that every single recruiter of non-China based teachers is bad). Apply to Unis direct. The best Unis to work for will probably recruit their own teachers. I would never agree to the use of recruiters for my Uni.(My emboldening again)

So if vikeologist is right, and I suppose he is - nine-tenths, or even 19/20ths of the ads on Dave's ESL China Job Board are suspect. Think about that, oh Original Poster! And I apologize for hijacking your thread to get back at Shane English Schools for making me work 80% of my days off, and (sigh) so much else...

Bye now. Smile
choudoufu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janiny wrote:
Yes friends, I said 'baldly' and I meant 'baldly'.

bald means without hair, or tread if a tire. doing something baldly is
self-explanatory.

you could, for example, use the word when discussing that picard guy
(the fake captain) on the (fake) star trek program....

"Her on-going mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life
forms and new civilizations, to baldly go where no man has gone before."
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard negatives about this place 20+years ago !
Janiny

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

choudoufu wrote:
"Her on-going mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life
forms and new civilizations, to baldly go where no man has gone before."

You're very funny, choudoufu. I also liked your Norwegian troll bit in the 'I Need Some Advice' thread on the main China forum. Laughing

You're right about Jean-Luc Picard. His mission fits definitions three and four of Dictionary.com's take:
Quote:
bald/baldly: adjective, adverb
1. having little or no hair on the scalp: a bald head; a bald person.
2. destitute of some natural growth or covering: a bald mountain.
3. lacking detail; bare; plain; unadorned: a bald prose style.
4. open; undisguised: a bald lie.
5. Zoology . having white on the head: the bald eagle.
6. Automotive. (of a tire) having the tread completely worn away.

The Enterprise's mission was indeed undisguised; they just wanted to explore but never to exploit.

And it was certainly a mission lacking in detail, like how the heck can a vessel travel at six times the speed of light, and then return to Earth in the crew's families' own lifetime. Wouldn't their siblings and children have died centuries ago after the Enterprise's relative five-year jaunt through the stars? (You don't need to answer that!)

And you nailed definition six as well [bald means...tread if a tire] but I stand by my original use of the word:
Quote:
The eccentric founder writes the materials, and the last unit of one of the intermediate books features a dialog that exists quite baldly in order for the male teacher to set up a date with the hapless, soon-to-depart female student.
...which is also definitions three and four.

Three, because it's quite bare, plain, and unadorned to ask a young lady if she has a boyfriend, and what her phone number is without the least attempt at sweet talk.

Four, because the dialog in question is so undisguisedly a plea for a night out and possibly a sleep over.

P.S. I've always preferred old Jean Luc to Captain Kirk, and not just because Patrick Stewart could actually act, and not because he made a vocation of anthropology, or because of his finely honed diplomatic skills, but because he had better solutions to problems than punching them. Do you suppose The Q Continuum would have wasted five minutes with William Shatner? Not I!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: