Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you teach school subjects or test prep?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which option most closely resembles your job?
I teach mainly oral English at a university
26%
 26%  [ 8 ]
I teach mainly oral English at a high school
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I teach N A, British or Australian curric. at an intl. school
16%
 16%  [ 5 ]
I teach many English subjects at a uni or high school
23%
 23%  [ 7 ]
I teach children at a language mill
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
I teach adults at a language mill
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
I mainly teach IELTS TOEFL or other foreign school test prep through a private company
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
I mainly teach test prep at a middle school or university
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
I teach at a kindergarten or primary school
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
I mainly teach private lessons
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 30

roadwalker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Do you teach school subjects or test prep? Reply with quote

I thought it would be interesting to find out what kind of work respondents are doing these days. In writing the questions, I realized how many variations are possible. The poll would be too long, so if I missed your niche, please give a few details. Sorry if I'm stepping on any earlier polls, I didn't check. On the other hand, it would be good to see the current situation. For example, I think test prep has really grown.

This being my first poll, I didn't realize that there are limits on entries... so...if you have your own school or somehow don't fit into the above, please count yourself in a response and give some details.
GeminiTiger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, speaking for the disgruntled University faction I would just like to throw a caveat into your poll. While most of us "usually" teach Oral English or have a majority of Oral English classes, I think those of us who have been here for a while have also taught a number of other courses.

It sometimes annoys me because of the attitude that oral English is either inferior to other courses or that people assume foreigners only teach this one course.

Judging by the title of your post though I'm not really sure it matters much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadwalker, your subject question doesn't seem to match the poll. I teach a writing class but have also done the "western culture" class in the past.
roadwalker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I put up the poll without having it thought out and organized. Next time I'll sketch up a rough draft first. Points taken. Oh, and I mainly teach oral English (and I'm one of the ones that thinks it's an important and worthwhile class) but I've sometimes taught culture and writing classes as well in universities.
GreatApe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for #3 in the poll, but I'm actually doing a combination of #3 and #7. I work for an International School with an IGCSE based curriculum, but I also teach IELTS, TOEFL, & SAT/ACT exam prep. (according to student needs).

For my really low level classes I'm basically an Oral English teacher, and for my higher level classes I teach EAP style college-level writing classes.

--GA
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised the 'teach many English subjects' response is so high.
kev7161

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ticked off:

A little more detail: I teach many American primary school courses in a Chinese school that considers itself "international". That's stretching it a bit in my opinion as a majority of students are mainland Chinese, but what can you do?
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have indicated that I teach adults at a training centre.

Ive completed two contracts in that working environment, and will be heading back for a third contract there early next year (not actually in China at the moment). Small classes, no weekend or evening classes, low working hours so its perfect for me.

When Im not in China, I also teach young adults /teenagers in the same type of environment.
kungfuman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach college prep to high school students who will go to the USA. My educated guess is that 99% of them will crash and burn within their first 90 days there.

Of them boys they ALL will fail miserably as they are the Devil Spawn of rich parents - who obviously buy them expensive toys in lieu of giving them life advice or love.

Of the girls I believe only 1 out of the bunch will keep her head above water. The rest will - most likely - become potheads until someone introduces them to crack and prostitution.

They are also all evil useless beings who have no clue of reality as their rich families just heap unto them the latest expensive gadgets and shower them with everything except love and common sense.

I used to love my job and even like my students. Something happened.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kev7161 wrote:
I ticked off:

A little more detail: I teach many American primary school courses in a Chinese school that considers itself "international". That's stretching it a bit in my opinion as a majority of students are mainland Chinese, but what can you do?

Hope you are paid 'international school' rates kev
Babala

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do corporate training at companies so none of the options really applied.
fat_chris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kungfuman wrote:
They are also all evil useless beings who have no clue of reality as their rich families just heap unto them the latest expensive gadgets and shower them with everything except love and common sense.

I used to love my job and even like my students. Something happened.

Shocked

Hope you are all right these days, kfm.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
dean_a_jones

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach a bit of a mixed bag, your typical 2+3 programme (what used to be 2+2). As these guys are going abroad, we get to teach them a few more interesting subjects, but with a heavier bias on speaking. We have a two semester calendar, and each semester we teach the following:

Semester one: First year students: English Speaking 1 (general speaking); Second year students: Business English listening and speaking (a bit of a misnomer, as they also have reading homework each class).

Semester two: First year students: English Speaking 2 (IELTS test focused), Public Speaking and Presenting; Second year students: History and Culture (of the country they are going to)

The first year courses are generally in smaller groups--a class of 30 is split into two groups of 15, for example, and each group gets a two hour lesson. The second year courses are lecture and small seminar groups--a one hour lecture with all students (again, around 30) and three 45 minute seminar groups of 10 students each.

We are in a transition year, as next year our current first years will take English Speaking 3 (more IELTS focus) as they have pushed back the IELTS test taking date from end of year one to middle of year two. We also teach a General Study Skills course, but that is switching from the first to second year, so we are not teaching it this year for that reason.

I also teach Academic Study Skills course to MA 1+1 students this year, again in the lecture/seminar format.

So as I said a mixed bag, but I quite enjoy that.
kungfuman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I am sad now - my school gave me business cards and the title is ESL TEACHER!!!!!

I am NOT a gd ESL teacher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I teach pre-college preparatory courses! Not esl. I'm fuming.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: