Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

teaching 8-10 year olds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtGuy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: teaching 8-10 year olds Reply with quote

My boss at my 2nd job has just taken on some new students. They are all boys in the 8-10 year range and will be moving overseas (Korea, I think) soon. They'll be attending international schools. The problem is their spoken English skills are very low. Vocabulary seems good but a conversation of any sort is beyond their abilities at this time.

My job is to simply "talk" with them and get them used to speaking English. That's it. I have no clue what to do or even what to talk about. Conversations with my college students are hard enough but at least we can find common interests. What am I supposed to do with students decades my junior?

Any info from anyone, and soon, is really appreciated.

DirtGuy
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I have done in the past is to take the activities I used with my older students and adapt them to the age and abilities of my younger students.
Many of the university students seem somewhat childish anyway, so what works with them often also works with younger students.

In my experience boys that are aged 8 to 10 seem more outspoken about their likes and dislikes. So, after you have spent a little time with them they will probably let you know which activities they prefer.

Just ask them about friends, family, hobbies, food, etc.
kev7161

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video games, action heroes, comic books, kung fu, KFC, sports, computers, latest tech gadgets, movies, cartoons/anime . . . .
zactherat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My job is to simply "talk" with them and get them used to speaking English. That's it.

Personally I would insist on following a book. Unstructured speaking depends too much on rapport, which may or may not swing in your favor, and a little reading and writing goes a long way to cement accuracy. People that request oral-only classes invariably have very little idea about the full range of factors which contribute to successful SLA.

Anyway..

One thing to try: make board games where students roll the dice to get to the end of a sequence of squares. Prepare a template and have students write in a question onto each square, like a "have you ever...?" questions, and introduce penalty/bonus squares like snakes and ladders/miss a turn, etc. This works well if you introduce a theme, e.g. a particular place, and have students write up rules for playing (like landing on a player means shunting them back a space, roll again for doubles and stuff like that).

A million different directions you could take that in..

Another thing to do is use movies, but choose specific segments carefully, e.g. I used The Jonny Depp Charlie and the Chocolate factory before, and did one lesson on character descriptions (each child is introduced in their own segment), then predictions about what would happen to them (pausing it as Augustus Gloop starts eating the grass).

Stories (video and/or books a/o pictures) are a good way to create semi-structured speaking practice, because you can do vocab, predictions, comprehension and re-tells at the end. Good value.
Songbird

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get yourself a Jenga set or make one with wood pieces (you know, the rectangular pieces you build into a tower, then have to pull them out slowly without letting it topple)- write a simple question on each block e.g. How old are you?'' 'What are you wearing?'. When they play they must answer the question.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: