Site Search:
 
Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching around the world with just a TEFL certificate?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ShaneInSpace



Joined: 13 Nov 2012
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Teaching around the world with just a TEFL certificate? Reply with quote

So, I just have a TEFL certificate and I see a lot of job oppurtunities for it. I am curious to hear stories of people who have experience teaching for schools/companys who hired you with just a TEFL certificate. I understand the pay and benefits and quality of school isn't going to be anything like if you had a bachelors degree and license. But, I'm interested in what it will be like and want to hear your positive and negative experiences for working with just the certificate.

Thanks in advance, this will be really helpful. Cool

EDIT: Also, can you help me out. The qualifications for this job I'm looking at...do you think they mean a degree holder OR just a TEFL certificate holder? Or a degree holder is a must but tefl is prefferred? Thanks. http://www.teachergig.com/7023/hong-kong-sheung-shui-native-english-teacher


Last edited by ShaneInSpace on Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nomad soul



Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 11453
Location: The real world

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching around the world with just a TEFL certificate? Reply with quote

ShaneInSpace wrote:
So, I just have a TEFL certificate and I see a lot of job oppurtunities for it.

Really? I'm curious as to where those many job opportunities are. By the way, you should read the recent thread, "Teaching WITHOUT a degree" (http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=99379&sid=e9c491e7fed3521354e524188d5a1695).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShaneInSpace



Joined: 13 Nov 2012
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching around the world with just a TEFL certificate? Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
ShaneInSpace wrote:
So, I just have a TEFL certificate and I see a lot of job oppurtunities for it.

Really? I'm curious as to where those many job opportunities are. By the way, you should read the recent thread, "Teaching WITHOUT a degree" (http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=99379&sid=e9c491e7fed3521354e524188d5a1695).


Thanks. But can you help me out with the question I edited in?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nomad soul



Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 11453
Location: The real world

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might post that link and your question on the Hong Kong discussion forum; the ad seems rather sketchy.

But I'd still like to know where those job opportunities are for teachers who only have a TEFL cert. Were you told this by the company you got your TEFL cert from?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShaneInSpace



Joined: 13 Nov 2012
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
You might post that link and your question on the Hong Kong discussion forum; the ad seems rather sketchy.

But I'd still like to know where those job opportunities are for teachers who only have a TEFL cert. Were you told this by the company you got your TEFL cert from?


Yes. They told me there were so many job oppurtunities for just certificate. They said there were more oppurtunities for someone with just a TEFL certificate than a degree and I shouldn't need a degree. I'm so excited. It only took 4 weeks to get it, too. And it was so cheap. Best decision I ever made. A bachelors degree takes *4* years! Plus, about 20,000 dollars per year. It was only 400 dollars for me!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spiral78



Joined: 05 Apr 2004
Posts: 11531
Location: On a Short Leash

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

400 dollars...I'm guessing yours was an online course??
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Xie Lin



Joined: 21 Oct 2011
Posts: 731

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Shane,

It's called "marketing," at least that's the polite term. I, myself, might use another term that would be more descriptive, but not quite so polite. It is not entirely clear to me whether you're actually serious, or playing a little joke.

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spiral78



Joined: 05 Apr 2004
Posts: 11531
Location: On a Short Leash

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xie Lin, surely you're not implying that a person who's shelled out 400 bucks for an online cert hasn't got the whole world as his/her oyster??
C'mon....the above-average-local-salary, the live-in maid, the awed and respectful students vying for just a half-minute of time with Teacher??? Rolling Eyes

By the way, shane, now that we know more about your quals, we can more accurately answer your earlier question:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?p=1060380&highlight=#1060380

Terribly sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's unfortunately unlikely that you're going to find a potential employer who's going to pay to fly you to an interview. Not even economy class. Not sure what your course provider may have said on this point..... Very Happy Smile


Last edited by spiral78 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nomad soul



Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 11453
Location: The real world

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShaneInSpace wrote:
Yes. They told me there were so many job oppurtunities for just certificate. They said there were more oppurtunities for someone with just a TEFL certificate than a degree and I shouldn't need a degree. I'm so excited. It only took 4 weeks to get it, too. And it was so cheap. Best decision I ever made. A bachelors degree takes *4* years! Plus, about 20,000 dollars per year. It was only 400 dollars for me!

I'd say you overpaid for that TEFL cert by $399.99 and that the TEFL course provider is also saying it was the best decision you ever made. I assume they don't offer uh... job placement s