Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Desire to teach in Japan, but 'criminal' history - advice?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenski

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DUI is a crime.

Apparently we are getting hung up on terminology beyond that.

Felony = major crime, apparently with a dubious name of criminal offense in Japan and NZ. Pardon me but that just sounds strange.

Misdemeanor = minor offense, what is apparently called an infraction, I guess, in Japan and NZ. My dictionary shows them as synonyms. This page says NZ uses summary offense vs indictable offense, not infraction. Whatever. It is still a crime.

Is that clearer why I wrote like I did?

Can't help with the gold license thing, although I have that type. I'll never have to use it for a drinking offense
Alex_Ander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Desire to teach in Japan, but 'criminal' history - advic Reply with quote

captainbob wrote:
in September of 2010 I got caught very slightly over the limit while driving, but enough to result in getting convicted and put on my record.

So that said, with a criminal record (especially DUI (DIC here), which I heard Japan doesn't take to kindly to), what are my options for working in Japan teaching English,or the like?

I'll list some other points if that also helps
-Majoring in Japanese and Chinese, should be finished mostly by the end of next year., if not definitely the year after Good grades too
-Long musical history, Violin, Piano, theory
-Turning 24 this month, if age matters in some cases
-Possibly heading on a volunteer trip to Japan regarding relations between NZ and Japan, also post disaster assistance, this December, but still waiting on outcome

I realize I'm out of the Jet program, so I'm wondering where that leaves me.

Any advice would be great, thanks in advance.

You have choices: you can either say you don't have a record and hope that they don't check or you can sugar-coat it so that if they do check, you can maybe go through. Also, have you tried getting your record expunged?
Headshoulderskneesn'thobe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Jouchi daigaku/Sophia uni elt instructor...... Reply with quote

Naaaaaaaaaaah, don't worry....trust me....I'm a TEFL teacher... Very Happy
I've been working at a good Tokyo university for the past three years - doing a wonderful job, having built a great reputation/having PUBLISHED nothing !! - not a requirement as some here may insist
My background;
only 21 arrests -
non alcohol related 0 v 21 alcohol related
(the alcohol related are the WINNERS..!!) all in the past though... Wink
4 of them, coincidentally, WERE in Japan
2 of them were EVEN assault/battery - impressive being a 4th dan shotokan/shoden ryu karate
all exaggerrated by the magistrate and the amazingly hospitable and caring Japanese police - never been arrested by such kind police officers...
too tight/handcuffs hurt - no no officer... fine... Razz
They let me in and out the country all the time and I do tell immigrations the truth - do the same at the airport on entry - they'll let you in....

Best of luck....it's great here/enjoying life immensely

Do miss the Japanese 'boys in blue'
Iwai Shi, Ibaraki Very Happy
Sakai Machi, Ibaraki Laughing
Suginami, Tokyo Wink
Ashikaga Shi, Tochigi Razz

..happy not to be located too far from Suginami/easy to keep in touch there........... Wink
timothypfox

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headshoulderskneesn'thobe, the point of these posts was not to celebrate our exploits with the police, but to see whether if getting on the wrong side of the law could jeopardize your employment prospects in Japan. If you are a 4th dan shotokan/shoden ryu karate as you claim to be, you should be setting an example of restraint and non-violence. Shame on you!
Headshoulderskneesn'thobe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Claim to be....? Hmmmm.....nothing to prove... Reply with quote

Errrrr....Possible self defence maybe..?
Glad you weren't the magistrate......

Just giving assurance that entry to Japan won't be an issue.....for such a minor offence - hopefully my experience/input here will cement that assurance....

Trust me being as 'humble' as I am, I haven't started bragging yet....
Hmmmmmm.... Where to start..?

Very Happy Laughing Wink
esl4everever

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: criminal history... Reply with quote

Hi -

I noticed your question and thought I would respond...

I have made it my business to know these things.
Partly because I have a web site on teaching abroad which includes a great deal of info about criminal background.

Let me start by saying its never a good idea to seek criminal background info on forums.
This is because criminal issues are complex and most individuals on forums are not familiar with what all countries require for what criminal issue.

First,
you should have a long conversation with the Japan consulate.
I have spoken to them about different criminal issues for research and have spent several hours all together on the phone with them.
So, make that call!

Second,
not knowing all the details of your situation...
Find out if you have an offense that is considered one of moral turpitude.
If you do have an offense which is considered one of moral turpitude then most countries wont let you in - period.
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: criminal history... Reply with quote

esl4everever wrote:

not knowing all the details of your situation...
Find out if you have an offense that is considered one of moral turpitude.
If you do have an offense which is considered one of moral turpitude then most countries wont let you in - period.

Did you even bother to read the OP's post?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: