Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you do a ESL lesson plan?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greatteacherlipinski

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: How do you do a ESL lesson plan? Reply with quote

I'm taking my TEFL right now and am very nervous about teaching in China. How do you know what to teach? Does the school give you a rubric of what they want taught? My grammar is ok and my spelling is awful, what age should I teach?

PS I'm taking a extra grammar course with the TEFL & reading Grammar for Dummies which has helped. My big vocabulary has helped me in the past avoid words I can't spell but with teaching, I'm unsure if my spelling will be a issue.
Glenski

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wrote:

a ESL lesson plan
a extra grammar course
a issue

I'm sorry, but I think you should be more careful about saying your grammar is ok. Those mistakes can't all be the result of typos.

How one makes a lesson plan varies with the type of students and the goal of the course. You could go with the tried and true PPP method.
http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/forum-topic/ppp-presentation-practice-production

It may also depend on what resources you have vs. what you need (e.g., any realia objects, computer & screen, etc.).

As for knowing what to teach, your course may already have it spelled out for you. If you are intent on teaching in China, I suggest asking this in that forum.
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/a wrote:
WORD CHOICE:
a, an

Before a word beginning with a vowel sound, use an
� an elephant � an umbrella � an obvious mistake

!! Use an before an 'h' that is not pronounced
� an hour later � an honest explanation

!! Use a before a 'u' that is pronounced like 'you'
� a university � a unique opportunity

!! Use an before an abbreviation that is pronounced with a vowel sound at the start
� an SOS call � an MP3 file
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Great Teacher:

What TEFL course are you taking, if I may ask?
Most solid basic courses address clearly the issues you raise here....

Best,
spiral
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Course book, page one, 'Contents'. Nothing wrong with following that the first time out. Assuming that you end up in a place which uses course books.

Good luck!
kpjf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you do a ESL lesson plan? Reply with quote

greatteacherlipinski wrote:
My big vocabulary has helped me in the past avoid words I can't spell but with teaching, I'm unsure if my spelling will be a issue.

With all due respect I would not want to be taught a language by someone who couldn't spell in their own. I'm not saying I've never made a spelling mistake of course, but in general I think my spelling is very good and if I make a mistake I make it a priority to remember the correct way for future reference.

What happens if a student in class says "teacher, how do you spell '...'" and you don't know? I'd say you'd lose face, especially if the word wasn't that hard to spell. I think it's a problem; however, like many problems there are solutions and you can solve this. Do you read novels? No? If you don't, start reading them. This is a very good way to improve your grammar and spelling.

Start writing down words that you find hard to spell on a page and afterwards check with the dictionary and learn that spelling. Keep doing that and your spelling will improve. Good luck!
Glenski

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading novels takes a lot of fluency. For beginning readers, I suggest the graded readers instead. Some come with audio narration, too, so pronunciation and reading speed and shadowing can all be a part of the experience.

As for a teacher who is a poor speller, I can easily see the point in a student's POV. I used to work with a good teacher in a conversation school, and he admitted to being a poor speller. Whenever students asked him a word, or questioned his own spelling on the board, he used that as an opportunity to get students used to looking things up. Too many students can't use dictionaries properly, so in a sense, that has merit.
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The scene: a JFL rather than an EFL class. The Japanese teacher is often unsure of kanji, or even of short versus long vowels. It goes down an absolute treat when students have to look up every word thanks to the teacher's uncertainty. But hey, it's all practice, right? Laughing

Granted, it's easier to look up English words than kanji, but then, the spelling (writing) should be easier too, all things considered.
kpjf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
Reading novels takes a lot of fluency. For beginning readers, I suggest the graded readers instead. Some come with audio narration, too, so pronunciation and reading speed and shadowing can all be a part of the experience.

I'm actually reading graded readers in French/German because they're very useful for sentence construction, grammar, basic verbs, adjectives etc., but I'm talking about the OP reading novels in his own language to improve grammar/spelling.

Quote:
As for a teacher who is a poor speller, I can easily see the point in a student's POV. I used to work with a good teacher in a conversation school, and he admitted to being a poor speller. Whenever students asked him a word, or questioned his own spelling on the board, he used that as an opportunity to get students used to looking things up. Too many students can't use dictionaries properly, so in a sense, that has merit.

Yes, in France many students seem to think an online translator is better than a dictionary, or, say wordreference etc. and don't seem to understand one word may have multiple translations in another language and will not fit that context. The result is that they often choose the wrong word.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: