Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

thinking of making the move to Morocco
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
basbas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: thinking of making the move to Morocco Reply with quote

I am currently living in Shanghai China and I am getting a little sick of Asia in general. It's not that I haven't enjoyed myself, I have it's just that economic conditions are working against me I feel, rents are sky high and salaries are pretty stagnant...plus my girlfriend is kind of hating China these days and wants to leave...

I am wondering If I can maybe do better in Morocco?

A little bit about me:

I have a masters in philosophy and two tesl certifications (one is kinda junk from oxford seminars 60 hours and the other is a tefl-c online course that a company I worked for had me do which was through colombia university) I have about 5 years experience with both kids and adults...

I speak very good french (my mom is from quebec)

What are peoples opinions of Morocco? Do you like it, what are my prospects? Where is the best place to look for positions because I don't see many postings...What are salaries like and what about cost of living?

thanks

the basman...
Barbaros

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Casablanca, I think there are some English schools like the American Language Centre, BPEC and American Academy. Also Rabat has some opportunities as well. A Google search will help you find more information about English teaching in Morocco.
Since you speak good French, I think it will be an added bonus for you.

Je pense que les Marocains sont genereux et hospitables.

Bonne Chance.
mitsui

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is interesting. I knew a man from England who worked in both Morocco and China.
He tried China but left after a year.

I think you would prefer Morocco. The downside is the pay.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also AMIDEAST in Morocco, but as mentioned, the salaries are lukewarm. But if N. Africa interests you, why not look at other countries in the region instead of limiting yourself to Morocco? Wherever you go, you'd need to check if the laws and culture are liberal enough in order to have your girlfriend stay with you. Also, would you be supporting her or is she TEFL qualified as well?
mitsui

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew a man from England. He lived with a Canadian woman, but they were engaged, so there was no hassle for them to live together in Casablanca.

They got married in Canada after their contracts ended.

But just living with a girlfriend might be frowned on.

Morocco can be conservative. For example when I went to my girlfriend`s house in Rabat, I was only able to meet her brother, but not her mother or sister.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out how restrictive life is there for females ! And..........I suspect that if you are not married to your partner you may have hassle - or worse.
bythesea

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Morocco would be a beautiful place to work but how will you survive in terms of money?
mitsui

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that is why I left.
I used to know teachers who had no debts and were teaching in Rabat.
For them, it was fine.

Yes, the pay wasn't good, and I had to work six days a week.
On the plus side, I walked a lot, and ate healthy food and was in good shape.
Hod

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Check out how restrictive life is there for females !

I'm not being flippant here, but all my female colleagues in Morocco couldn't have been happier.

This won't sound very PC, but there's no other way to say this. These colleagues weren't unattractive by any means, but then again they wouldn't turn heads walking down a high street in Europe. But every one of them soon had a Moroccan boyfriend. I�ll admit these Moroccan guys were quite good looking and seemed decent enough educated respectable types. In that respect, the females I knew in Morocco had a great time.
revilo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Al Akhawayn University Reply with quote

I sent an informal inquiry to AU. Last time I checked, they were looking for someone to teach English Composition/Rhetoric. I guess they have all the ESL instructors they need, but you never know.

From what I've gathered, it's a nice, quiet, temperate area with none of the "attitude" one gets in the Gulf. The downside is pay, but I'm willing to make the adustment if I can stay there a good 5 or 6 years.

In terms of salary, what are we talking here? 1500 to 1800 Euros per month? I taught 6 months in Kuwait and it almost killed me. Peoople jumped ship in spite of fantastic pay. Confused
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1000 Euros would be a high salary in this area. And you cannot just go with your partner. If you are married, maybe.
revilo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: China beats Morocco Reply with quote

1000 Euros?!?!? I'm making more than that in China and it's secondary school. That explains why this elderly gent I met in Qassim was clinging onto his job. Poor guy looked like he was at death's door. He spent some time in Casablanca and said it's nothing like the movies.

Life never is...... Neutral
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morocco is becoming very, very expensive these days...this is due primarily to European and North American investors who are investing a lot of money into the local economy. As an EFL instructor it is very difficult to save any money in Morocco...consider it a tourist destination and if you come bring a lot of money cause you will need it!!! Shocked Shocked
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Morocco is becoming very, very expensive these days...this is due primarily to European and North American investors who are investing a lot of money into the local economy. As an EFL instructor it is very difficult to save any money in Morocco...consider it a tourist destination and if you come bring a lot of money cause you will need it!!! Shocked Shocked

From another thread in this forum (and posted within a week or two of the one above):

EFL Educator wrote:
Country warnings regarding traveling and carryng any money with you at all in person should actually be out for ALL countries in North Africa..that is Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya and Egypt. Again your best bet is to carry only a credit or debit card with you when traveling...or as an ESL teacher you might end up with NOTHING at all! Shocked Shocked Shocked

So, which one is it? Bring loads of cash, or nothing but a credit card hidden in the heel of our boot? Confused
water rat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mysterytrain wrote:
EFL Educator wrote:

From another thread in this forum (and posted within a week or two of the one above):
EFL Educator wrote:
Country warnings regarding traveling and carryng any money with you at all in person should actually be out for ALL countries in North Africa..that is Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya and Egypt. Again your best bet is to carry only a credit or debit card with you when traveling...or as an ESL teacher you might end up with NOTHING at all! Shocked Shocked Shocked

So, which one is it? Bring loads of cash, or nothing but a credit card hidden in the heel of our boot? Confused
The obvious solution to this Gordian naught is ---Stay out of North Africa.
btw - while you're here in the Forum d'Afrique - I recommend another look at http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=108381
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: