Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How much time between classes at your university?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rioux

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: How much time between classes at your university? Reply with quote

I ask because where I teach once a day there is a 15 minute break. The problem is that when a teacher is on the top floor of a building (5th floor) and then has to walk across the entire campus (they call it "the other campus" here) to teach at the top floor (5th floor) of another building it doesn't leave much if any time. Furthermore, when the first class finishes very often there will be a student or students that want come up after class either for help or just to talk. Finding time to even use the bathroom is another matter.
By the time I reach the second class (close to 15 minutes later) I'm ready for a break!
Shroob

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does sound like bad organisation. Perhaps you could mention it to someone in administration or your F.A.O.? Though, sometimes it's better to let things like this slide, it's up to how strongly you feel.

I have 20 minutes between lessons, all in the same building, usually the same room, so I kill time by talking to students or other teachers.
Ariadne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you will be at the same school next term, ask the person who schedules the classes to assign your classes in the same building or 1st/1st instead of 5th/5th. It shouldn't hurt to ask. You could ask your academic advisor (contact) to make the request for you. Give all the reasons you gave here. If that doesn't work, scout out a different classroom yourself or ask the monitor to find one for you.

You need time to answer questions after class and time to prepare before the next class. It's not too much to ask.

johntpartee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twenty minutes between morning classes, ten minutes in the afternoon is what I have. It was like that at another school I was at, too.
rioux

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the classes close by?
johntpartee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're asking me, rioux, at my present position they are in the same building; no problem in the morning, but in the afternoon they are several floors apart so I have just enough time to go to the restroom and get some coffee. At the other school the afternoon classes were across campus, so if I made a beeline, I was fine. Barely.
MisterButtkins

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, there are a full 30 minutes between each of my classes.

Another option to deal with the time problem: Start the first class 5-10 minutes early and finish 5-10 minutes early
roadwalker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 in am; 10 in pm. Yeah, talk to the class scheduler, who is probably the same one who gives you books and class rosters, etc. Bring a student to interpret. If not, I agree, just find an empty class if possible and apologize later.

One danger is that you'll then end up in a situation like I have currently where in one double size listening class, half the students finish their early class on the other side of the campus and have to high-tail it to my class and are often late. Ask your second class if they have an earlier class that day and whether they are able to get across campus to somewhere near where your first class is, for their class with you.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johntpartee wrote:
Twenty minutes between morning classes, ten minutes in the afternoon is what I have. It was like that at another school I was at, too.

Same for me and most days the second afternoon class is/was in another building.
I bought a bike and even then with student after class chat and the inevitable stair climb 10 mins is too short.
fat_chris

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shroob wrote:
I have 20 minutes between lessons, all in the same building, usually the same room, so I kill time by talking to students or other teachers.

I have the same set-up. It's pretty convenient. I like it.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I'd take my time, stroll to the other class, use the bathroom etc.

If you start ten minutes late, that's not your fault, that's the universities fault.

Luckily I got my three hours of uni work a week scheduled one after another, so I give class, play ipad or whatever for 20 minutes then begin round two, done and dusted in 3 hours twenty.
Miajiayou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They always have me changing buildings during a 20min break in the mornings and a 15min break in the afternoon. I really enjoy the walk, as it makes a small amount of time seem like a actual break. I don't enjoy worrying about time so, as Larsson suggested, I just don't anymore. I talk to any students after class who have questions, I walk to my other class, and possibly go to the restroom/stop to buy a bottle of water. I get there when I get there. I almost always end up being on time, so no biggie.

When I am walking from one building to another, I hardly ever see another teacher. When I do, it is usually a foreign teacher. I suspect it is a dig of some kind, a "let's make the puppet dance" sort of thing. But, maybe it isn't and I don't really care either way.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be quite a mission getting used to class times.
At my last school, besides different time gaps between classes morning and afternoon, different classes had additional complications in the class immediately before lunch.
This wasn't shown on the schedule and only revealed itself when the buzzer sounded.
It took me a couple of weeks to suss that it was to stagger pressure on the dining halls.
Bit of a pisser though when you think I've got another 5 mins to complete an activity and that evaporates.
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar a long time ago.

I made sure the first of the two classes were aware of the schedule and as a result we would 'end' this class 5 minutes early, using that time for questions / feedback and anything else so that when the bell rang I was on my toes and out of there. The feedback and questions are a valid part of the class so there is no reason why it cant become part of the class hour.

The second class knew I had to trek across campus and as that lesson was the last one of the day they were quite happy to make up a few minutes at the end. Does suck when you get that kind of schedule mind. I used to hate it, but it was just once a week in the easiest job I ever had!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: