Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Osaka-Which area to stay?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
im_not_a_violentdrunk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Karuka, thanks for the replies. I think I'll take your advice on the bullet trains and maybe leave the night bus for another trip! I did a bit of research on the ticket and you were right, it's roughly �350 for a week long pass!

@OneJoelfifty- As you've suggested, the night bus is probably something for me to keep in mind once I have reached Japan. Do you know if the capsule hotels are likely to have any significan luggage storage (I'm thinking one large suitcase -roughly 20-30kg)?

@KPJF I hadn't considered airbnb, but I will now! I have lugged suitcases allover the world, I almost consider it a rite of passage when I visit a new city! Yes, I would like to avoid it however!
Razz
@Cool Teacher
I'll check Asakusa out, thanks for taking the time to provide a link! It wasn't really clear on their website, how did you find it, in terms of luggage storage?
kpjf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im_not_a_violentdrunk wrote:
@Karuka, thanks for the replies. I think I'll take your advice on the bullet trains and maybe leave the night bus for another trip! I did a bit of research on the ticket and you were right, it's roughly �350 for a week long pass!

You should double check that bullet trains don't have a surcharge for the weekly tourist ticket.

Quote:
@OneJoelfifty- As you've suggested, the night bus is probably something for me to keep in mind once I have reached Japan. Do you know if the capsule hotels are likely to have any significan luggage storage (I'm thinking one large suitcase -roughly 20-30kg)?

Maybe you should read reviews on booking.com for these capsule hotels etc to see what people say; however, doing a quick google it seems luggage is stored in lockers (no idea if this is free of charge or extra).

Quote:
@KPJF I hadn't considered airbnb, but I will now! I have lugged suitcases allover the world, I almost consider it a rite of passage when I visit a new city! Yes, I would like to avoid it however!
Razz

It seems cheaper than a hotel, but of course you won't have that "professional" service that can be sometimes pleasant when you stay in a hotel; yet, on the other hand you have locals who can maybe give you some pointers or where the best cheap restaurants are etc. Won't do any harm checking out prices!

Finally, not sure if you're into it but there's always Couchsurfing!
OneJoelFifty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stayed in an awesome crappy area called Shinimamiya two winters ago. It was riddled with dilapidated shopping arcades, where no one shopped but the shop owners milled about drinking, smoking and nibbling on yakitori. One guy was selling meat and batteries from his patch on the pavement. The only busy places were the pachinko parlours, where smoking unshaven men drifted from door to door. Not a foreigner in sight. I imagine it must have been quite a happening place in the 80s, but has fallen on hard times. It was also home to the most amazingly-lit supermarket I've ever seen.

I think I stayed in a place called the Sunshine hotel. It was about 3,000 Yen a night for a private room, if I recall. Toilets were cold and crappy but the room was fine. And it's within a few stops on the metro of Namba. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm sure it must be cheap as hell to live there.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneJoelFifty wrote:
I stayed in an awesome crappy area called Shinimamiya two winters ago. It was riddled with dilapidated shopping arcades, where no one shopped but the shop owners milled about drinking, smoking and nibbling on yakitori. One guy was selling meat and batteries from his patch on the pavement. The only busy places were the pachinko parlours, where smoking unshaven men drifted from door to door. Not a foreigner in sight. I imagine it must have been quite a happening place in the 80s, but has fallen on hard times. It was also home to the most amazingly-lit supermarket I've ever seen.

I think I stayed in a place called the Sunshine hotel. It was about 3,000 Yen a night for a private room, if I recall. Toilets were cold and crappy but the room was fine. And it's within a few stops on the metro of Namba. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm sure it must be cheap as hell to live there.

That's a huge backpacker area. Dozens and dozens of hotels all around that price in that area.
jim_brava

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't commit to anything. Stay at a Shin-Imamiya place (next to Tennoji Zoo) for a few weeks, while you get your bearings, and then decide where is best for you once you have a better idea of your commute etc.

At the bottom end, you can get a foreigner/backpacker-friendly room for less than 2K/night. Raizan-South and (especially) Hotel Mikado are the easiest options I've stayed at, but I've heard Hotel Chuo is OK also.

Hotel Toyo is a shithole. It's more famous for reasons I can't comprehend (slightly cheaper, I think), but it's getting cold now, and the (horrible) shower rooms and corridors are not heated.

In the first few nights, get over to Cinqo Cento/Kama Sutra, or any of the other foreigner bars, and get some advice there. The manager of CC actually has a place where you can pay monthly (no deposit IIRC) for around 65K, including bills. It's a ten minute walk from Namba/Shinsaibashi (which is 90% of Osaka's nightscene).

I was down near Tsuruhashi, which is close to the Osaka Loop line. This line is a god-send, as it connects to Umeda (for Hanshin connections), Kyobashi (for Kyoto connections), Tsuruhashi (for Nara connections) and Namba (sort of). You can usually do half the loop in 15-20 mins, and connect out from there.
im_not_a_violentdrunk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@jim_brava
Thanks for the advice, I don't need the cheapest place possible for the first week,I'd rather pay a little bit more , at least until I've gotten over my Jet Lag.
The foreigner bar info will be invaluable no doubt, so thanks for that as well.

Quote:
Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:41 pm Post subject:
Don't commit to anything. Stay at a Shin-Imamiya place (next to Tennoji Zoo) for a few weeks, while you get your bearings, and then decide where is best for you once you have a better idea of your commute etc.

So you would recommend staying near the Osaka loop line, do you have an opinon on Amagasaki, is it close enough/well connected? It was suggested by somebody else as a good initial base.

@onejoelfifty-If I don't get a job within the first month of being in Osaka, I'm sure I'll end up staying there for a bit. I don't mind a bit of dilapidation, if you're struggling- it can add to the character (provided you have the requisite rose-tinted glasses!)

Again, thanks everyone. I see my options as the following
1.)Stay in Umeda
2.)Stay in Shin-imamiya
3.)Stay in Amagasaki.
im_not_a_violentdrunk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any advice on the Chuo-ku area, 5 min to walk from Subway Nipponbashi station(According to real estate website)?
I've found places to rent their from 45,000-65-000 , so any advice would be welcome.

Also, has anybody used www.realestate.co.jp before, as I'm looking to rent from them? Thanks in advance Smile
Inflames

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The area isn't that bad, although real estate agents will ask you if you want to be shown properties there first before showing you them. The area has a ton of Koreans, Chinese and other foreigners living there and cops tend to hang out there and check for ID. Note that they don't ask the prostitutes or hostesses for ID, but rather respectable people as if they found some foreign prostitute didn't have ID (or even a visa, or discovered that they were prostitutes) it would be a lot of paperwork for the keystones. It's certainly better than Nishinari ward.

I will note that very few places will let you sign a contract without a job or visa and you can't just walk away from a rental contract.
im_not_a_violentdrunk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@inflames Thanks for the colourful reply Laughing So in your opinion
Quote:
I will note that very few places will let you sign a contract without a job or visa

I won't be able to secure an apartment until I first have a permanent job?
OneJoelFifty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im_not_a_violentdrunk wrote:
@inflames Thanks for the colourful reply Laughing So in your opinion
Quote:
I will note that very few places will let you sign a contract without a job or visa

I won't be able to secure an apartment until I first have a permanent job?

For the two apartments I've rented, both agencies needed some proof of employment and monthly salary. You might be able to get by if you have a large bank balance you can show them, but I wouldn't count on it.

I suggest you get in touch with the agents (they should be listed on the individual property pages of the listing websites) and explain your situation.
im_not_a_violentdrunk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@onejoelfifty
Thanks for the heads up, looks like I'll be staying with http://www.guesthouseosaka.com/en/lemon/index.html
they seem to cater for people in my position!

@Anyone-I'm arriving in Osaka next Tuesday, so if anybody wants to meet for a drink- or can spare 5 minutes for me to buy you a coffee and ask some basic questions please let me know! Smile

Also, thanks to everyone that's replied to any posts I've made, I'll pay back the favour to other new people once I gain the requisite knowledge! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
deadzenpoet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck keep us posted on the job search!
deadzenpoet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck keep us posted on the job search!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: