Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching Adults in Taiwan...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulJam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Teaching Adults in Taiwan... Reply with quote

I have four years experience with Shane, teaching mainly kids but now, having come back to the UK to get my CELTA, I am thinking about returning to Taiwan to teach adults exclusively.

Does anyone know of any reputable institutions that will help me with my ARC and hire me with the above qualification and experience?

Any help much appreciated.

Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
creztor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much none. Don't come to Taiwan to teach adults.
ncaraway

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted by author

Last edited by ncaraway on Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:59 am; edited 1 time in total
PaulJam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses.

A little surprised though, as I have a few friends working at an IELTS school making good money...and I'd be very surprised if there weren't similar companies helping with IELTS or TOIEC preparation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ncaraway

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted by author

PaulJam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's ok, thanks.

Again, though, if anyone knows if decent schools that tutor adults then I'd be much obliged.

Thanks again.
creztor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like your IELTS friends would be the best bet. He is already in the business of teaching adults.

Last edited by creztor on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
kurtz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are there so few adults learning English?
ncaraway

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted by author

teacher4life

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adults in Taiwan are still learning English. They used to do so in schools like Gjun or Kojen or whatever, but increasingly there is a flight to quality- for genuinely qualified teachers, there is a strong market for adults in private lessons 1 to 1 or in class sizes of 4 at most. If you don't know what you are doing though, forget it. You will have to know your stuff.

Arranging lessons directly at companies is very lucrative. In my best case scenario I charge 1500 per hour to teach a group of salespeople. I do that twice a week at the same company. However, when they need to cancel, I tell them it is no problem and charge them zero. This is for them a much better deal than what they used to do, which is go through a chain company and get stiffed by not being allowed to cancel or worse yet by having the chain school send them a worthless "teacher" like a 25 year old kid who just read a text to them.

Needless to say the hardest part is finding the company in the first place! Right now that situation is a one of a kind for me though I sure hope to get more. I do know of other people doing the same, so it isn't impossible!
atreyue

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - amazed at these responses.

To the OP: If you want to teach adults you can try Global (low pay) or David's (scattered hours) or KJun (unknown).

I have a bud teaching TOEFL and TOEIC in addition to his low hours he gets on his ARC.

So, it can be done.
creztor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I wouldn't recommend people think about solely teaching adults in Taiwan:

atreyue wrote:

To the OP: If you want to teach adults you can try Global (low pay) or David's (scattered hours) or KJun (unknown).

So you either get paid a lower than usual rate, less than what cram schools offer, have scattered hours or have to teach both adults and children (Kojen). It's not uncommon for GVO to give you hours on days that no-one wants to teach, and the hours won't be in block. Meaning you may have a class Saturday morning and then Saturday evening.

atreyue wrote:

I have a bud teaching TOEFL and TOEIC in addition to his low hours he gets on his ARC.

Again, to make it doable you are possibly working at two or three different places just to get your ARC and extra hours to live on. If people enjoy teaching adults, that's fine, but why do it in Taiwan? I believe you'd be much better off in China due to its size and demand for adult English classes.
atreyue

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I wasn't so clear in that last post. So, and again, I have a friend who teaches a few hours at David's (his choice) and spends the rest on private TOEFL and TOEIC tutoring gigs, on his own time.

I myself work for David's part time (I teach high school full time) with no sponsorship, APRC. For a fact, David's offers lots of hours, decent rate and flexibility.

My issue with these replies is that you make it sound like its a near impossibility to come to Taiwan and only teach adults. Other than high school that is all I've ever taught in all the years I've been here.

Another fact - David's is in a constant hiring mode because the hours are there and available. The applicants don't come in because of the naysayers who decry that you'll never make a living as an adult teacher. Ridiculous.
romanworld

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atreyue wrote:
I myself work for David's part time (I teach high school full time) with no sponsorship, APRC. For a fact, David's offers lots of hours, decent rate and flexibility.

What is the "decent rate" you talk about getting at David's?
atreyue

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would depend on a myriad of factors - experience, degree, and length of stay in Taiwan. If you believe you'll make "say $750/hr" as a wide eyed, no experience 24-year old - walk in - forget it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: