Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Forgotten Colonial War
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geaaronson

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sasha

You�ve to to learn the difference between slander and libel. Slander is oral, libel written. You may know your grammar but you must work on the vocab. While you�re on the latter, check into a rehab. And before you accuse me of libel, first delete all the "hics" from your posts.
artemisia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only heard of the grammar torture camps. There's a vocabulary rehab?

Libel or slander? It's an interesting point and perhaps a matter of perception. Like a lot of posters, I often use words such as 'say', 'hear' and 'speak', and also refer to 'conversations' on this site. Therefore using words or phrases that would be commonly used in spoken English, as though you were really talking and not writing, would be part of the 'norm' here, would it not?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geaaronson wrote:
Sasha

You�ve to to learn the difference between slander and libel. Slander is oral, libel written. You may know your grammar but you must work on the vocab. While you�re on the latter, check into a rehab. And before you accuse me of libel, first delete all the "hics" from your posts.

I'll wager that you do not know the difference as well as you seem to think. The written/oral difference does not come close to covering it.

Now, let's look at some other words: stalk/troll. What exactly is the difference there?
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:

Now, let's look at some other words: stalk/troll. What exactly is the difference there?

Stalk: "The girl I was in love with rejected me, so I stalked her on Facebook and hired a private detective to follow her every move." *

Troll: "The girl I was in love with already had this jerk of a boyfriend, so in a move worthy of a romantic comedy, I trolled him hard by planting explosives in his suitcase, cocaine in his car, and phoning in a terrorist tip to several government agencies." �

Regards,
~Q

* Obviously this is a joke. I don't use Facebook. ;o)
�by "jerk" I of course mean he was taller, richer, funnier, and arguably handsomer than I.
geaaronson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slan�der
[slan-der] Show IPA
noun
defamation; calumny: rumors full of slander.
a malicious, false, and defamatory statement or report: a slander against his good name.
Law. defamation by oral utterance rather than by writing, pictures, etc.

and NOW, DRUMS ARE ROLLING, RUSSI OR WHATEVER YOUR NAME IS, FOR LIBEL.

li�bel
[lahy-buh l] Show IPA noun, verb, li�beled, li�bel�ing or ( especially British ) li�belled, li�bel�ling.
noun
Law.
a.
defamation by written or printed words, pictures, or in any form other than by spoken words or gestures.
b.
the act or crime of publishing it.
c.
a formal written declaration or statement, as one containing the allegations of a plaintiff or the grounds of a charge.
anything that is defamatory or that maliciously or damagingly misrepresents.

IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THIS, DON�T ARGUE WITH ME, ARGUE WITH THE DICTIONARY.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem with any of that information, apart from the fact it was from an uncited dictionary. Like this one:

SLANDER, torts. The defaming a man in his reputation by speaking or writing words which affect his life, office, or trade, or which tend to his loss of preferment in marriage or service, or in his inheritance, or which occasion any other particular damage.

Please bear in mind that the information you gave sounds very much like the definitions accepted under American law. However, American law does run the world over, despite what some may think. But in any case I am not a lawyer, so more expert posters may have more interesting things to say about this. The end result is, though, that you are in no position to insult me or others and tell them to 'work on the vocab', and I'd kindly request you to refrain from such comments in future.
geaaronson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sasha
It was from googles own. So now the ball is in your court. Where is yours from?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't remember. A random definition that popped up on a Google search too.

However, the point is that your original comment on me not knowing the difference is shown to be based on a flawed premise.
Mikalina

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pfff... Please state if you mean verbs or nouns, cus......

A stalk holds the head of a flower up and a troll lives under the bridge by the hills where I live......
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The distinction is one made in certain jurisdictions. In Scottish Law it is defamation, regardless of whether it is spoken or written.

Those persons living south of the Solway and Tweed have a different legal system, in which there is a distinction between slander and libel. All US styates (except Lousiana) based their legal systems on English Common Law.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do those folk living to the south recognise the significance of question marks? As in "Slander even, perhaps?" What impact would not perceiving punctuation have on discourse, or even just reading abilities?
geaaronson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sasha

So now you are trying to deny your supposition that it was indeed slander by raising an irrelevant question about grammar? Disingenous. Just admit for once you are wrong. Before you tried to claim that the word did indeed mean libel.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geaaronson

No, I am happy to stick to my guns and argue that it could, narrowly, be called slander. This is so because some, admittedly few, definitions include written comments as slander. I've supplied you with one of them. In addition, as others have pointed out, posting comments on forums, typing in chat-rooms etc., can be perceived as being conversations. We'd hardly say that we were publishing ( another term with specific legal meanings ) our comments here, would we? True, many jurisdiction do indeed consider anything on the Internet as bound by the same laws as in any other traditional print media, but not all jurisdictions do.

So to call me 'wrong' is mistaken, and insulting me seems to be much more the issue than any use or possible misuse of words. But that seems to be much more your aim, anyway. Why not go after the poster who referred to Russia Today as a newspaper, when it is clearly a TV station? Why not declare that that person needs to work on vocab?

Perhaps you'd care to explain this crusade against me, on more than one thread? Use the PM function, if you wish.
rawera

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Perhaps you'd care to explain this crusade against me, on more than one thread? Use the PM function, if you wish.

Considering his location, perhaps he is Trotsky's ghost?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know. The location didn't escape me - anymore than the original Trotsky escaped Stalinist justice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: