Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EU passport holder moving to DE

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: EU passport holder moving to DE Reply with quote

I'm about to make the jump from Japan to Europe. I wondered if anybody has had recent comparable experience.

A bit about me - BA in English literature, Diploma TESOL from Vancouver, Canada, some graduate work TESOL and I have a Canadian and an EU country passport.

I'm a dormant German speaker (how long it would take to recover, I don't know).

I've got 16 years teaching experience in public and private K-12 schools and adult education.

Is it possible to land there and get a job on those qualifications? Could I earn a living wage? Which cities are the best bets for job hunting? When's the best time to go?

Any advice appreciated.
JN

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you've got experience in K-12, then I'd try for a job in that area. Starting in January, or maybe even now, schools here start looking for teachers for the fall, if they have openings.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All (or most) countries in EU require teacher certification if you want to teach in a K-12 school (that is by the way US, not EU terminology).

Language School is probably only option for OP. Are you ready for subsistence-level salary ?
JN

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had just assumed that with all that experience there would be a teaching qualification. Yes, a teaching qualification is required for k-12. Otherwise it's difficult, not impossible, but difficult.
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a K-12 teaching qualification. I'm considering doing a distance middle school qualification through Australia or an MA in Distance Ed through Canada. I've also considered doing DELTA. Any advice on which one would make me more employable in the German or wider European job market?

I'm not too worried about salary in the short term. I'll be there with my partner who may be stationed in Germany (DOD).
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all 16 of your years are in Japan, be sure to get whatever future quals you get in Germany or in Europe. The differences between teaching Asian students as versus German ones are profound, and many employers may be concerned about whether you'll be able to make the transition effectively.

When I was on a hiring committee in the Netherlands, on the German border, we were very wary of applicants with experience 'only' in Asia.
That is NOT to say you won't be absolutely fine; but it can help you in the job application process if you show some awareness of the differences (they may be only 'perceived' differences to some extent, but they do come into play in the hiring process in many cases).

Here's a thread that discusses this notion from the perspective of several teachers who've done both. The second page continues to give current info regarding the relevant differences (it doesn't actually shift focus to other parts of the world as suggested):

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=95456&start=0

On the other topic, in your case I'd go for a DELTA in Germany. It would give you supervised experience teaching German students and you can have it done in a relatively short time. An MA in distance learning...I'm not sure of the relevance of that to most employers. And as others have mentioned, the K-12 positions are very limited; usually filled by well-qualified locals.
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the intel on Germany.

The first five years of my career was spent teaching English to new Canadians and international students in Vancouver - writing prep, business English, TOEFL prep. The schools and the learners expected results.

I'm well aware of teacher-culture shock. In Vancouver ESL schools we saw ESL teachers returning from Japan get overwhelmed in our general and business English programs.

DELTA is attractive, but is it useful in other job markets? Certainly a great way to get oriented to Germany and build connections. But beyond that?
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELTA, being the step up from CELTA, but shorter than an MA, is often required for people moving into DOS positions, or teacher training. Like a CELTA, it's recognized in the whole region, not just in Germany.

I suggested it because it would give you supervised teaching practice with European students (this will look good on your CV after the Asian and Canadian experience), it's higher than an entry-level thing, and it's relatively short.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a citizen of an EU State, investigate possibily of getting an EHIC which will get you access to basic Healthcare as a visitor in Germany.
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Health_Insurance_Card
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: