Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Forgotten Colonial War
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regard to the complexities of libel and slander, consider that TV stations in breach of whatever defamation laws are applicable are normally sued for libel, not slander. This is so even though the offending comments were spoken on air. Not such a simple written/oral distinction as it may seem at first, eh?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More excellent reportage on Western colonial wars, brought to you by Russia Today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf-4X5WToVw

How long till this too is forgotten?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More home-grown colonial wars:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeNMzeXIhlE
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iran. The continuing colonial war:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd00tVEKAD0
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised we have not had an intervention suggesting that colonial wars are a GOOD THING.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give it time...
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geaaronson, your comments erroneously posted on the Ivan Denisovich thread are answered here.

You said I needed to learn the difference between libel and slander. I wagered that your own understanding of the difference may not be as solid as you thought, with your oral/written distinction not being enough to cover such a thorny legal area. I think I have shown that that is so. I have shown you definitions of slander which include the written word, though you have ignored that. Also, you have not really taken into account the difference between the permanent or transitory nature of defamation - which legal experts make a great deal out of, such as here:

Since the emergence of social networking sites, forums and chat rooms consideration has had to be given to whether the comments fall in to the definition of a permanent (libel) or transient (slander) category. Traditionally speaking defamatory comments in a written form are actionable in libel however in Smith v ADVFN PLC Mr Justice Eady ruled that defamatory comments, posted on bulletin boards are more akin to slander than libel due to their conversational nature.

http://www.healys.com/site/library/commercialclient/commerciallitigation/defamation_litigation_and_social_networking

Now, what more do you want? A ruling from a judge isn't good enough for you to show that I can indeed use the word slander to describe written comments on a forum?

I have no more interest in tedious arguments about the intricacies of legal systems, especially as thread derailment seems to be the only outcome. Feel free to post a riposte, but do not expect too many answers from me.

The Defence rests.
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
I am surprised we have not had an intervention suggesting that colonial wars are a GOOD THING.

I'll tell you what we need man. We need to conquer all the GCC states (except maybe Oman) and turn the area into one big colony governed under the US Constitution. Not only can we introduce shiny new concepts like "freedom of religion," "women's rights," and "not treating South Asian migrant workers like slaves" but if we incorporate those "countries" into our customs area as the "Territory of American Arabia" it will ensure that we never have to worry about oil again. [/modest proposal]

There ya go. Twisted Evil

~Q
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After your success in Iraq and Afghanistran ?
geaaronson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The distinction is one made in certain jurisdictions. In Scottish Law it is defamation, regardless of whether it is spoken or written.

Those persons living south of the Solway and Tweed have a different legal system, in which there is a distinction between slander and libel. All US styates (except Lousiana) based their legal systems on English Common Law.
Scot

There is no difference between Scottish law and American in regards to the first statement.

As for the second, true enough. Louisiana is based on the Napoleonic code. For example, in inheritance matters, if you live in Louisiana, the first born can`t be struck from any inheritance, whereas in the other states he can be. This is information told to me by a Georgia lawyer born in New Orleans, Louisiana.

But you never say what English Common law is so the meaning of the second paragraph is unclear.
geaaronson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
With regard to the complexities of libel and slander, consider that TV stations in breach of whatever defamation laws are applicable are normally sued for libel, not slander. This is so even though the offending comments were spoken on air. Not such a simple written/oral distinction as it may seem at first, eh?
Sasha

TV stations are oral communicators. Yes,`when they defame someone orally on TV it is not only slander but libelous. But we are not talking about oral communication.

We are talking about written communication. And written communication is always libelous, not slanderous as you claimed. And yes, it is defamatory.

Below is an example of the illogic of your thinking.

A cat is a mammal.
A dog is a mammal.
A cat is not a dog.

Yet that is exactly how you are thinking through this issue of defamation, libel and slander.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geaaronson, tell it to the judge.

Traditionally speaking defamatory comments in a written form are actionable in libel however in Smith v ADVFN PLC Mr Justice Eady ruled that defamatory comments, posted on bulletin boards are more akin to slander than libel due to their conversational nature.

The Defence rests.
geaaronson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Sasha, I am telling it to you. You be the judge, jury and executioner.

Here it is in a nutshell.

Slander is libelous. Libel is libelous. Both are defamation.

When we see something in writing it is libel. When it is spoken it is slander. Yes, slander is libel.

To give you another example from linguistics.

A gerund is a noun, but a noun is not a gerund. The word "nation" is a noun, not a gerund. When we apply that to the topic at hand, a slanderous remark is libelous/a libel. But remember, only an oral statement can be a slander. You have mistakenly identified both as reciprocal synomyms. They are not.

Is it so hard to admit one is wrong?

And yes, I did put the post on the wrong message thread. After teaching online and in class 33 contact hours for the past few weeks, doing 2 art commissions and writing an academic article, I am exhausted, made more frustrated by your intrangience. Strike one up for the enduring power of the Communist empire.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: C'mon, buddy and give it a rest... Reply with quote

Is it so hard to admit one is wrong? It seems to be so for you: here you are arguing with the ruling of a judge in order to shore up your simplistic understanding of a notorious legal area. No wonder you are beat!

If you are exhausted, I am sorry for you - you do seem to have a busy life. But please do not put responsibility for your flagging energy or frustration on me. That is none of my concern.

If you are indeed tired, then I recommend that you do as the Defence has done and ... rest.
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
After your success in Iraq and Afghanistran ?

You'll notice that the biggest FUBARs there happened in Afghanistan and central Iraq, i.e. the places without oil. Where there's oil money to bribe people, there's a placid population to be bought, no matter how awful the leadership is, as the current GCC rulers (the godawful House of Saud in particular) and Iranians have clearly found.

Actually, we should probably annex the Arab parts of Iraq to American Arabia too, since I can't imagine Maliki growing any less petty or sectarian, let alone an more competent, inclusive, and/or friendly to American interests. Wink

~Q
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: