Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm 64, will I be able to work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PsuDadd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: I'm 64, will I be able to work? Reply with quote

I noticed that many job postings say you have to be under the age of 55. Some even say 50. I am 64 now and want to get certified when I'm 65. I am in great health. Why is there this age restriction. Will I be able to find work.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can work in China and Mexico and probably India. Some places in China will tell you they can't (they'll say it's the LAW), but that's pretty much the individual school's call. I have been offered two five year contracts in China (one was last year, the other was the day before yesterday) and I'm 59. There was a married couple here last term, he was 67, she was 64, they were offered renewals.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PsuDadd wrote:
Why is there this age restriction. Will I be able to find work.

Age limitations can vary based on the country---what employers want as well as employment laws specifying age restrictions. (The latter seems to be flexible, ignored or plain nonexistent in many countries throughout the world.) But why the restrictions on ages as low as 50 for some jobs? Visa regs and employment laws aside, consider that some employers harbor a personal or cultural bias against older teachers for whatever reason. Others are likely looking at health and medical needs as issues, despite hearing from older applicants who state they're physically fit for the job.

On the other hand, you'll see posts throughout these forums from or about older teachers who continue to work for the same employer because they're good at what they do. Some were likely to have been grandfathered in (no pun intended) to circumvent the age restriction laws.

Anyway, check out this recent similar thread, "How old is too old?" (http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=99291) for countries with job ops.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm 64, will I be able to work? Reply with quote

PsuDadd wrote:
I noticed that many job postings say you have to be under the age of 55. Some even say 50. I am 64 now and want to get certified when I'm 65. I am in great health. Why is there this age restriction. Will I be able to find work.

IF you have:
a) a degree,
b) a willingness to pay for your own plane ticket
c) enough funds ($3-5,000 plus airfare) to live abroad for 2-6 months before you get your first pay day
d) the ability to prove yourself in a classroom (demo classes are not uncommon) and
e) reasonable health and activity levels

then you can find work in Asia in spite of what you see in the ads.

IF you are lacking in any one of a,b,c,d,e then stay home. Your chances quickly drop to "0" and the chances of recovering your setup costs if you do find work are also low.

coledavis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same goes for Russia and Ukraine, although you may not need quite the same amount of funding.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: