Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Respectable on-campus Masters in UK
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shamblaram

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:55 am    Post subject: Respectable on-campus Masters in UK Reply with quote

Wondering about good/respectable ON-CAMPUS Masters degrees in Applied Linguistics degrees in the UK...

From the Middle East forums, I've found out that many employers look down on/reject ALL distance Masters. (Not quite sure why, since theory based modules and research/dissertation would surely be the same whether done on-site or by distance, anyway...)

I WAS thinking about doing the distance Masters Appl. Ling at either Lancaster, Leicester or Birmingham. I like the look of their options and and the fact they all contain a research/dissertation module. BUT are the on-campus Masters from these Universities tainted by their association with their distance courses, and so also looked down on/rejected in some places around the world?

If so, can anyone recommend good/respectable on-campus Masters programs in the UK? Apart from pulling up University ranking tables and then trawling University websites and finding, say the MPhil at Cambridgge or the MA Lingusitics at UCL, the only neutral chatter I can find online about App.Ling Masters seems to gravitate towards distance Masters.

(PS I know many people might say that it's only in parts of the ME that this distance v on-campus Masters comes up, but that two-tier distinction could easily spread as economic meltdown continues in the West, more people join the TEFL ranks, and so long-termers with only a CELTA decide it's time to upgrade to a Masters...)

(PS2 I have a BA, a CELTA and two years experience teaching EAP at a University in Vietnam, so the lack of 'practicum' which is often cited as a flaw in UK linguistics Masters, doesn't really concern me.)
john123

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the Masters in ELT offered by Nottingham Trent is a respectable program, although the institution itself is clearly not at the top of the respectability list.

They have one or two excellent vocabulary and reading experts, namely Dianne Schmitt. If you plump for as many modules as you can with her, it is well worth the investment.

The language centre, support and facilities there are also very good.
shamblaram

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply. I've heard good things about Nottingham. (Is there more than one University in Nottingham?)

How long would you need to be on campus for this masters? Could I head the UK for Oct-March, then nip back to my job abroad for the dissertation part of the degree? (Uk living costs, plus loss of earnings are the obvious drawback to doing an on-campus Masters)

Thanks again for your reply
twilothunder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shamblaram wrote:
Thank you for the reply. I've heard good things about Nottingham. (Is there more than one University in Nottingham?)

There are two:
University of Nottingham
Nottingham Trent University

Nottingham is an old, well-established university that consistently places in the top 20 in UK (there are various ranking systems but it's normally 'up there').
Nottingham Trent is a 'new university' (ex-polytechnic), but one of the more respected ones.
They are both (reasonably) respected institutions and in all honesty, at postgraduate level, I would be basing my decision on the course content rather than 'name' of the institution.
john123

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nottingham Trent is a decent place to study.

I have outlined some strengths of the MA programme there. Just bear in mind the observed teaching practice part. They did not offer it when I was there, and it seems that having observed teaching practice is all the rage these with employers (TEFLq).

October-March - pushing it. Maybe October-June. You will have modules to complete until June when you will really begin to knuckle down to your diessertation.
RonnieColeman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided to go the onsite route as well.

Does anyone here have any experience of the Masters programs offered by King's College ( Applied linguistics + ELT) , Westminster( TESOL), Institute of Education( TESOL) or St. Mary's College(Applied Linguistics +ELT) ?

All the programs look pretty good, though I'm leaning towards the Westminster program as it has a module with observed teaching. The St.Mary's course is only �3,501 so over �1,000 cheaper then rest of them.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Respectable" and "Applied Linguistics" do not collocate.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Respectable" and "Applied Linguistics" do not collocate.

Based on personal experience, I have to agree. Shocked
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rely purely on observation.
coledavis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birmingham University.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Birmingham is a solid program.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean Aston ? Which is IN Birmingham but is NOT Birmingham
University.

http://www1.aston.ac.uk/
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birmingham. That's what it says on my MA thingie hanging on my wall. Which has done some wonders for my career. And which has done similar wonders for over a dozen people I know well.

Dunno nothin about Aston.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You hang it on the wall ? Like a doctor ? Does it impress visitors ?
coledavis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aston and Birmingham are two distinct universities but they are both based in the city of Birmingham.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: