Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

teaching math in China

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kellrobinson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: teaching math in China Reply with quote

I got a B.S.E. with a minor in Electrical Engineering in May 2012 from a mid-tier state university. The Bachelor of Science in Engineering is an "interdisciplinary" degree. I took a lot of EE classes to get the minor, obviously. I'm 6 credits short of an EE; I opted for the B.S.E. because I got out of school a semester earlier that way. My GPA was 3.98. I'm 56 years old.
My reason for posting now is to get some feedback on a job I noticed at the transitionsabroad web site seeking "ESL, Economics, Business, Science(Calculus/SAT Math/Physics/Chemistry/)Teachers Needed in Guangzhou asap"
http://www.esljobfeed.com/ESLfeed-JobPostingPage.php?read=30978
Under qualifications it asks for "Minimum 1 year teaching experience in related subject." So that's the rub. I don't have any teaching experience.
What are the chances they would go for a white face with an engineering degree over a Chinese math/science teacher with English language skills?

Edit: The link to apply for the job is dead... don't see how I can even apply for it.
thatsforsure

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What are the chances they would go for a white face with an engineering degree over a Chinese math/science teacher with English language skills?
It does not happen this way. They're either looking to hire a foreign teacher or a local, and it's never a choice between the two. Probably only an international school would be looking to hire a foreign math teacher. A top-level, "real" international school would be looking for a state teaching certification. They pay a lot, something in the range of what teachers make back home. A second- or third-tier international school might hire you to teach math. They pay a lot less, perhaps 12,000 yuan a month for full-time hours.
wonderingjoesmith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thatsforsure wrote:
Quote:
...It does not happen this way. They're either looking to hire a foreign teacher or a local, and it's never a choice between the two....
Never say never 'cause you may be wrong in this case. There are more and more Chinese educated abroad. They often are cheaper and easier to get along with here.

Quote:
ESL, Economics, Business, Science(Calculus/SAT Math/Physics/Chemistry/)Teachers Needed in Guangzhou asap.

Details:

Salary: 10,000-12,000rmb/mo ( ESL Teacher)

12,000- 15,000 rmb/mo (Subject teacher - according to the

teachers qualification and teaching experiences,salary is negotiable)

no more than 22 teaching hours/wk ( 60minutes/ class )

Office hours: 5 hours

Job Location: Guangzhou, Guangdong

Start Date: December2012 or January of 2013

School Type: Private Education Provider

Other Benefits:

Provide work visa

Provide Medical Insurance

Free Chinese lessons

Qualifications:

Native English speaker or Chinese with overseas education or Science teaching experience will be considered if proven to have the same language ability;

Bachelors degree (Economics/Business, Science, Math) or higher

Minimum 1 year teaching experience in related subject

living in Guangzhou city now a plus

Qualified candidates will be asked to write an essay for ESL vacancy or complete a Mock Test for Science vacancy. An interview for a 15-20 minute via face to face or Skype or telephone is required too.
The link to apply may be dead 'cause this may be a recruiter. Watch out!
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Thatsforsure' is correct.
English-speaking subject teachers are really international school people.
Subject teachers in other schools will be Chinese and use Chinese as the language of instruction.
wonderingjoesmith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the advert, you'll see it's most likely not a licenced international school. Therefore, they are keeping their doors open. Smile
kev7161

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our school hires a whole passel of English speaking Math and Science majors to teach high school. Couldn't guess at the starting salary, but I think it's somewhere north of 10,000 per month. We are not an international school but a "foreign language" school that dreams of being one.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonderingjoesmith wrote:
ESL, Economics, Business, Science(Calculus/SAT Math/Physics/Chemistry/)Teachers Needed in Guangzhou asap.....

Salary: 12,000- 15,000 rmb/mo (Subject teacher)
no more than 22 teaching hours/wk ( 60minutes/ class )
Office hours: 5 hours

Other Benefits:
work visa, Medical Insurance, Free Chinese lessons

subject teacher, 22 hours+5 office hours..........max pay is 15K?
and no mention of apartment provided?

you really want to use this ad to support your argument?
wonderingjoesmith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, do you think it's a licenced international school that's not fishing for the "most suitable applicant" Confused
kellrobinson

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kev7161 wrote:
Our school hires a whole passel of English speaking Math and Science majors to teach high school.

Are these Westerners or Chinese? (P.S. -- I sent you a PM.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: