Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Positive things about Vietnam
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kurtz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is "loosing face"? Is that what happens when your face gets old and starts to sag?

I have a good Viet buddy who has lived abroad for many years and I have a Q&A session each time I see him. I'm all ears and would like to get to know the country and its people more.
mark_in_saigon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he surely meant "losing face". Loosing would imply sagging or something. Just look up the correct spelling, it is a very common concept all over the world, especially Asia.
kurtz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark_in_saigon wrote:
he surely meant "losing face". Loosing would imply sagging or something. Just look up the correct spelling, it is a very common concept all over the world, especially Asia.

Rolling Eyes Gee, thanks for that, Mark. Have you ever heard of a joke?
Oh My God

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurtz wrote:
What is "loosing face"? Is that what happens when your face gets old and starts to sag?

I have a good Viet buddy who has lived abroad for many years and I have a Q&A session each time I see him. I'm all ears and would like to get to know the country and its people more.

Enter the Grammar/Spelling Police..

Where did I imply that I was perfect?
kurtz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh My God wrote:
kurtz wrote:

Enter the Grammar/Spelling Police..

Where did I imply that I was perfect?

Again, it was a joke. We all make mistakes. Relax.
VietCanada

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurtz wrote:
VietCanada wrote:
kurtz wrote:
^

Please explain these Vietnamese "moralities". Would you describe Vietnamese morals as a positive? And what are these manners? Picking your nose? Pissing in public? Yelling on your iphone in public? I do see some folks covering their mouth when on the phone but the majority just seem to yell.

How are these bahaviours different from white peoples ? I've seen people picking their noses and yelling on cell phones. I've seen people pee in public too. People will do whatever other people let them do.

Let's say white people generally don't leave people half dead on the street after an accident, or laugh when they see someone in real pain. Basic human empathy and concern for people who aren't in their family is lacking here. I accept this is how it is but I don't see this being a positive in Vietnam.

What on Earth are you talking about?

Wasn't the final episode of Seinfeld about a NY (city/state) law meant to stop citizens from leaving "people half dead on the street after an accident, or laugh when they see someone in real pain". Wasn't that law in response to people ignoring cries for help, watching a crime and then refusing to speak to the police? Refusing to help victims?

I think we can see why people don't post unless they are suckers for abuse or really, really have something to say. Negatives are more motivating than positives.
kurtz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe you're half Vietnamese and thus are unable to view any issues that foreigners might have in Vietnam objectively.

I don't care about Seinfeld.

It's human nature to moan rather than say what a nice day it is. Your last sentence is stating "the bleedin' obvious" to quote a rather funny character in British comedy.
I'm With Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it'd never happen in America, would it?

Add to that a history of good Samaritans then being blamed for the accident because the injured person wants someone to pay their medicals bills, and it's not a massive surprise that people will ignore an injured person.

Having said that, I've seen quite a few accidents in Vietnam, and I've never failed to see people helping out.
aqm22

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurtz wrote:
I do believe you're half Vietnamese and thus are unable to view any issues that foreigners might have in Vietnam objectively.

It's human nature to moan rather than say what a nice day it is. Your last sentence is stating "the bleedin' obvious" to quote a rather funny character in British comedy.

Firstly, what does his half "Vietnamese-ness" has to do with anything. Unless, he spent most of his life in Vietnam it doesn't really count for much, now does it?

kurtz wrote:

<b>Let's say white people generally don't leave people half dead on the street after an accident, or laugh when they see someone in real pain. </b>Basic human empathy and concern for people who aren't in their family is lacking here. I accept this is how it is but I don't see this being a positive in Vietnam.

Secondly, I live in a country where there are public service announcements urging people to be more sympathetic and help. I live in a country where they throw parades and award medals for people not leaving people out to die. Now, I love the good 'ol US of A, but we are apathetic *beep*, too.

I think that was the whole point. Everyone worries about their own butt before coming to the rescue of others.
vabeckele

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: A Roundabout Reply with quote

Ok.

I witnessed an accident in Vietnam on a busy roundabout which ended up with an elderly man lay bleeding all over the road - no one wanted to help him at all. A young man, who had hit him, sped off and the snake of traffic just went on around him. I went on over to help and got him the attention he needed.

Before that incident, a few weeks before, I saw a car hit a young boy on his bike which killed him. the car left the boy dead. Yes, the car, and its driver, left the boy dead. This little trifling affair didn't even make the news.
kurtz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me say there are many positive things about living in Vietnam. However, I'm really not looking forward to the day I have a serious motorbike accident. Based on my observations here and speaking to other expats, being left on the ground with a crowd of onlookers, some of whom even might relieve you of your personal possessions, is quite likely. Whenever I've seen an accident, the initial reaction from other people is to stop and stare. They're a nation of starers, rubberneckers, onlookers and I really don't want that to be me on the ground with a crowd of people around me.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurtz wrote:
Let me say there are many positive things about living in Vietnam. However, I'm really not looking forward to the day I have a serious motorbike accident.

Yup. I know a guy who was involved in a bad motorbike accident one night in Saigon. He was laying unconscious and bleeding on the road and when he woke up [still on the road and bleeding] he discovered that some pond slime had stolen his Honda Benly Evil or Very Mad.
vabeckele

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Trying. Very. Reply with quote

I am really, really, really, really, really, trying to think of the positives - When I do I will surely post it/them - Really.

Perhaps, 'awesome' and 'I love Vietnam', would be a little over-the-top.

Give me a little while to digest my latest disaster, or cultural learning experience, before I give you the positives of this recent crisis.

I LOVE VIETNAM! IT'S AWESOME!
VietCanada

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurtz wrote:

I'm a Canadian of European ancestry. I never watched Seinfeld until the the reruns came out. Even then I only watched it because it was the only thing on at that time. The final episode was only of interest because the callous cast runs afoul of the NYC law that had been enacted at that time.

IIRC NYC made a law to encourage people to help out at accident or crime scenes to some degree. I think it was in response to widely publicized incidents of entire neighbourhoods ignoring the screams of victims and refusing to talk to the police after.

It's wildly absurd to claim this country is different than NA or anywhere else based on personal anecdotes.
vabeckele

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Positives Reply with quote

Some days, I feel as if an angel has touched me, so much has Vietnam affected me. It leaves me with a sense of wonder and a re-invigorated trust in humanity.

When a family member gets sick here, this is where you see real compassion for your kin. It humbles me to see a young teenage girl bathing an elderly person with a warm towel, and take care that every bodily function has been taken care of. That is when I see the true face of love. I cannot remember the last time I saw that back 'home'.

Most days however...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: