Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What size do you prefer in a tablet and why?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hochhasd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: What size do you prefer in a tablet and why? Reply with quote

I am trying pick between a 7" and 10" tablet.
Can you tell me which size would you go with and why?
P.S I am going to use the tablet for watching movies and surfing the web.
Thanks
Mr_Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, a 10" tablet is just too big. You can't properly hold one for longer than ten minutes without wanting to put the fucker down. In this regard, it's somewhat like Cheryl Cole. A 7" tablet is pretty good - who wouldn't want 7 inches in their hands every night?

Smut aside, if you're going to do that - and only that - with a computer, why don't you spend the money on a cheap laptop? It will be a lot more flexible than a tablet and a decent one will cost you the same.

Most people who 'need' a tablet don't.
hochhasd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_Monkey wrote:
In my experience, a 10" tablet is just too big. You can't properly hold one for longer than ten minutes without wanting to put the fucker down. In this regard, it's somewhat like Cheryl Cole. A 7" tablet is pretty good - who wouldn't want 7 inches in their hands every night?

Smut aside, if you're going to do that - and only that - with a computer, why don't you spend the money on a cheap laptop? It will be a lot more flexible than a tablet and a decent one will cost you the same.

Most people who 'need' a tablet don't.

I already have a laptop and more problems can happen with a laptop.
How are the keys when typing on the tablet. IF i go 7 or 10 I need to make usre it has 1.extra storage(if only 16gb,but if 32 I do not need it) 2.flash drive port 3. good number of pixels when watching a movie. By the way how is it watching a movie on a 7" for 2 hours compared to a 10"? Your opinion
ncaraway

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: What size do you prefer in a tablet and why? Reply with quote

Deleted by author

Last edited by ncaraway on Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 7" and a 9".

I find the 9" is too big for most stuff and too heavy to hold up for an extended period (so I got a case with support that will hold it up on the table (eg: at a conference)).

For personal use (meetings, PDA stuff, etc, I find the 7" far more easy to use with the caveat that the on-screen keyboard is a bit awkward (small) for my big fingers.

The 9" is OK for watching video but my laptop is better.
The 7" is OK for personal stuff or for working on while sitting on a plane for an extended period (laptops don't have the battery length and are cumbersome in an airplane seat).

For home use, get a laptop.

hochhasd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:
I have a 7" and a 9".

I find the 9" is too big for most stuff and too heavy to hold up for an extended period (so I got a case with support that will hold it up on the table (eg: at a conference)).

For personal use (meetings, PDA stuff, etc, I find the 7" far more easy to use with the caveat that the on-screen keyboard is a bit awkward (small) for my big fingers.

The 9" is OK for watching video but my laptop is better.
The 7" is OK for personal stuff or for working on while sitting on a plane for an extended period (laptops don't have the battery length and are cumbersome in an airplane seat).

For home use, get a laptop.

You claim a 9" is ok for watching videos and a 7" is ok for work. The other ncarway claims a 7" is fine for watching video.
Let me ask you this,if I get a 7" with high pixel count will the viewing experience be good? How is the keyboard on a 7"?
I notice the 10" tablets seem to have more features. I am mainly looking for a usb port(if micro i can use a adapter for my reg one) a extended memory to be added with a sd card if the computer does not have more than 16 GB and easy enough to surf the net and send an email from time to time.
Mr_Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hochhasd wrote:
I already have a laptop and more problems can happen with a laptop.
How are the keys when typing on the tablet. IF i go 7 or 10 I need to make usre it has 1.extra storage(if only 16gb,but if 32 I do not need it) 2.flash drive port 3. good number of pixels when watching a movie. By the way how is it watching a movie on a 7" for 2 hours compared to a 10"? Your opinion

How can you say that when you don't have a tablet already? If you do have a tablet, you already have half the information you need and should have told us this initially.

I find laptops, or any machine running a 'traditional' OS to be far more flexible than a tablet. Moreover, "problems" on a machine like that are usually user generated.

Typing on a tablet, or any touch screen device is basically to be avoided. It's a crap experience: typing on a keyboard for any text over a couple of sentences in length is incomparably better than a touchscreen. Writing "LOL" on someone's Facebook status update is, in my experience, the most common usage scenario for my tablet. I do, however, write emails and such to my wife and colleagues on my Galaxy Tab, but these are usually short and to the point. It is very unlikely that I would type a response of this length on any tablet. Its a keyboard thing.

Basically, I think that most people who think they need a tablet actually don't, and a laptop is a much better investment. For example, why would you even want to watch a 1080p movie on a tiny screen (10" is a tiny screen).

Tablets are for dicking around on the internet for 10 minutes. Tablets are for sending quick emails when you're on the train. Tablets are for Angry Birds.

For anything else, you want a laptop.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hochhasd wrote:
You claim a 9" is ok for watching videos and a 7" is ok for work. The other ncarway claims a 7" is fine for watching video.
Let me ask you this,if I get a 7" with high pixel count will the viewing experience be good? How is the keyboard on a 7"?
I notice the 10" tablets seem to have more features. I am mainly looking for a usb port(if micro i can use a adapter for my reg one) a extended memory to be added with a sd card if the computer does not have more than 16 GB and easy enough to surf the net and send an email from time to time.

I have off-brand tablets (i-mobile).
They have USB (mini), HDMI (mini), SD chip slot (so up to 32gb of extra space), 8 gb internal storage and 1 gig ram.

I won't get into an argument about his experience compared to mine.
I just gave you my feelings based on my personal experience with my tablets.

In my humble opinion, as a substitute for a laptop, go with the bigger tab.
If you want some practical use away from your desk, with the caveat that the keyboard is a bit small, then go with the smaller one.

Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I have an unlocked 7" tablet that I use as a big smartphone. I can fit it in my pocket, and that's a major pro.

Like everybody else, I feel like the 10" is trying (and failing) to substitute for a laptop. Which is what I use if I want to see stuff writ large, or type a lot of stuff.

~Q
hochhasd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My whole purpose behind a tablet was to take it with me to Starbucks or any where I want to have something to do.
As far as typing any length of time it does not look like I will do that on a tablet.
There are two things that concern me when it comes to comparing a 10" laptop to a 10"or7" tablet.
1.Weigt and carrying it while on a bus
2.Comfort and picture quality while watching a movie or anything else while at a coffee shop or any public place.
3. The problems with a tablet or laptop. I know you can get a virus on a computer and there are other major costs that come with repair, but I am new to what can go wrong with a tablet.
Mr_Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long a re you really going to spend watching movies in coffee shops?

The point I'm making is that the usage scenario you envision is unrealistic.

Get a 7" tab if you must get a tab, because in all sincerity you don't need a 10" one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: