Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Money is not everything . . .
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fledex

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Money isn't anything. I made the mistake of going to KSA because the money offered was more. The reality is that in other places, like Asia and Central Asia, I found that I enjoyed my job and was able to progress within the company or society to positions where I made and saved as much money as in KSA. When people leave KSA, they tend to spend what they have saved anyway. Wouldn't it be better to be in a non-Gulf country where students really care about their education and want to learn English? Then you have more incentive to progress in your professional development and achieve more in your life.
truthbebold

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, if you want to stay in the biz. Most are looking for a way to put together enough to do something else. Smile
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fledex wrote:
When people leave KSA, they tend to spend what they have saved anyway.

Way over-generalization. Most of my friends taught in KSA at some time in their career and didn't do this. Most invested their earnings... in real estate or retirement options.

fledex wrote:
Wouldn't it be better to be in a non-Gulf country where students really care about their education and want to learn English? Then you have more incentive to progress in your professional development and achieve more in your life.

This was my second career. I stayed in the Gulf (Oman, UAE, & Kuwait), saved a significant amount of money on which I was able to retire at 52, and had lovely students. Few serious academics, but mainly pleasant normal university students though ill-prepared by their public education systems and local culture. I also enjoyed those nice 2 month summer holidays with a paid ticket in my hand to travel. Visits to Asia proved to me that I wasn't the least bit interested in living or teaching there.

YMMV

VS
EricinAsia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
fledex wrote:
When people leave KSA, they tend to spend what they have saved anyway.

Way over-generalization. Most of my friends taught in KSA at some time in their career and didn't do this. Most invested their earnings... in real estate or retirement options.

fledex wrote:
Wouldn't it be better to be in a non-Gulf country where students really care about their education and want to learn English? Then you have more incentive to progress in your professional development and achieve more in your life.

This was my second career. I stayed in the Gulf (Oman, UAE, & Kuwait), saved a significant amount of money on which I was able to retire at 52, and had lovely students. Few serious academics, but mainly pleasant normal university students though ill-prepared by their public education systems and local culture. I also enjoyed those nice 2 month summer holidays with a paid ticket in my hand to travel. Visits to Asia proved to me that I wasn't the least bit interested in living or teaching there.

YMMV

VS

How long did you teach in the Mid East before you could retire? What year did you retire (if you don't mind sharing)

Eric
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: