Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Special Education

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abdi181

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Special Education Reply with quote

What are the prospects, if any, for some one who gets MA in SPED in this region? Does this type of Ed. even exist?
Thanks in advance for your help.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at teachaway.com's site; they may have job opportunities for special ed teachers. You could also contact them directly for information.
citadel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try TES online. I saw a recent advert for SENCO in the Middle East. As the other poster mentioned, Teachaway and Teachanywhere should have positions.
I am Special Needs teacher and I got my job via TES online.

Hope this is helpful.
Ixchel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Teachaway reputable? I got job offers from them at primary and secondary level which I no longer want to teach but I saw on their website they have a lot of college/university jobs as well and I meet their criteria for those. I just wasn't sure of them as a recruiter.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Ixchel,

A search "Teachaway" in the UAE forum turned up this, among others:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=83592&highlight=teachaway

Regards,
John
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teachaway has basically had one major contract for placing foreign teachers in the public school system in the UAE - to reorganize their teaching of English into more of a bilingual system. They have hired many teachers and have maintained a good reputation of pay and general care of the teachers. (although the positions themselves are highly variable as to their conditions - something out of the control of Teachaway)

So, there has been no news here in the Middle East branch of their abilities related to other contracts.

Who are they recruiting for at tertiary level? That is probably the question.

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ixchel wrote:
I got job offers from (Teachaway) at primary and secondary level which I no longer want to teach but I saw on their website they have a lot of college/university jobs as well and I meet their criteria for those. I just wasn't sure of them as a recruiter.

veiledsentiments wrote:
They have hired many teachers and have maintained a good reputation of pay and general care of the teachers. (although the positions themselves are highly variable as to their conditions - something out of the control of Teachaway)

So, there has been no news here in the Middle East branch of their abilities related to other contracts.

Who are they recruiting for at tertiary level? That is probably the question.

I don't know about universities in the Emirates, but two of my friends were recruited by Teachaway to work at Princess Noura Uni in Saudi Arabia. Both have been at PNU for a couple of months now and say their experience has been positive so far. I should add that they're MA holders---each with half a dozen years of TESOL experience.
Ixchel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very good to hear that they're legit. And taking care of their teachers. I remember that I didn't take the job because (aside from being burned out on kids) they expected you to bring $3,000 to start and the American/Int'l schools don't. They pay everything, meet you at the airport, put you up in a hotel then find you a place to live. They give you a little money when you arrive to pay for meals etc.
As for the tertiary level it seems to be college and uni jobs. They asked for B.A., experience, teaching certs, and ESL certs. They said an MA was preferred but not required if the other requirements were met. Does this sound ok?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one has mentioned anything about the $3000, but there are employers who take awhile to get you into the pay system. HCT in the UAE was the only major employer that I had who immediately provided money and pay was quite prompt to start. My employers took anywhere from a couple months for pay to start up to Kuwait who took nearly 5 months. But I was prepared and it was quite fun to take that first 'paycheck' and go out and buy a Toyota with my ATM card and still have money left to transfer back to the US. Laughing As long as I was properly warned to have access to funds, this was never a big deal to me. I knew that my employers were dependable.

Tertiary means colleges and universities. The better employers require an MA. (they don't require a teaching cert/license) Do you have a related MA? (Applied Linguistics or ESL/EFL)

If you have an MA, you don't need a recruiter. I would, in fact, avoid them and just go to the university websites and apply directly.

VS
Ixchel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do but mine is in Ed Counseling. Are all the posts for the Middle East on here done by recruiters? Are there any good situations with jobs gotten through recruiters? There are some good jobs (good pay, good conditions) I am qualified for in Japan (where I would like to go) and Korea (where I've been and am not wild about) that I'm considering. I keep reading these horror stories about the ME. I know it's skewed because people writing about good schools aren't as interesting but it gives me pause as a single woman.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try theInternational Schools. I would give State schools in UAE a miss ! AND the private ones too !

Incidentally it seems that "teriary" is not widely used on the Western side of the Great Pond.

Ed in UK (and elsewhere ??) is divided into primary (up to age 12) secondary (12-1Cool and tertiary (uni and college level)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: