Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is looking for TEFL work in January a waste of time?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
White ice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Is looking for TEFL work in January a waste of time? Reply with quote

Hello all,

Is heading to Thailand in mid January to look for TEFL work a waste of time during to it being the wrong time of year?

I have a CELTA, business degree and am 25.

But, zero teaching experience.

Thoughts appreciated!
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Is looking for TEFL work in January a waste of time? Reply with quote

White ice wrote:
Hello all,

Is heading to Thailand in mid January to look for TEFL work a waste of time during to it being the wrong time of year?

I have a CELTA, business degree and am 25.

But, zero teaching experience.

Thoughts appreciated!

Pretty much a waste of time in January.

You will be competing with 10,000 other back packers who are doing the same thing to extend their stay in the tropics and with the school year ending in Feb the schools really aren't in a hiring mood.

You might luck out and find some work in a language center but it will be piece work and unlikely to pay the bills.

If you want work, wait till April. There will literally be thousands of jobs begging for a teacher who can start May 1st for the return of students in mid May (start of the school year).
macandcheese

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the likelihood that there will still be jobs in early May? Or, would it be better to come during March and look for a job for a week then return in May?

Stupid school schedule.... Lol
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How high is up?

macandcheese

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:
How high is up?

Ha. Touch�.
tideout

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: December Reply with quote

I can tell you that December seems slow here despite postings by recruiters at other websites.

While I don't have the "pedigree" of the two teachers here who were recently found dead in front of the tv - apparent drug overdoses, I'm a bit surprised at the lackluster response so far.

So morbid kidding aside, it appears slow to me so far. I see a lot of "low ball" salaries thrown around - 20-25K baht/month. I'm guessing schools and/ or recruiters are just fishing for the unsuspecting.

Seriously, if anyone knows of a semi-reputable school looking for teachers in Thailand let me know!
tttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd be farther ahead taking whatever you can find to tide you over until next March then start looking to move into something decent with a contract, visa and work permit.

Make a quick trip to the embassy in Laos, get a 60-day, double entry tourist visa and you are effectively good for 6 months (with extensions and a quick border run).

tideout

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:
You'd be farther ahead taking whatever you can find to tide you over until next March then start looking to move into something decent with a contract, visa and work permit.

Make a quick trip to the embassy in Laos, get a 60-day, double entry tourist visa and you are effectively good for 6 months (with extensions and a quick border run).

Yeah, I have two interviews coming up. One is with a private school and the other (still not scheduled exactly) is for possible public school positions via a recruiter (still have to clarify that business [AYA].

At this point, I'm looking at keeping my expenses down as much as anything. Social gathering tonight where I'll be networking. Thanks to another related board, my rental expenses are low but money still leaves the pocket everyday for something as we know.

I have to say, leaving a position at the end of August gives you time for things but also has hidden costs!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: