Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Summer school work.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amisexy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Summer school work. Reply with quote

Hi,

I passed the CELTA in the first half of this year. Since then I have been working for a fairly large school in Eastern Europe.

I was wondering when you guys think is the best time to apply for jobs in summer schools? I've seen adverts popping up already, which I think is quite surprising since many don't start until June/ July 2013.

I am a UK citizen, native speaker, bachelors degree, CELTA, 1 years experience etc.

P.S: Also, do you have any recommendations/tips for applying to summer schools?

Thanks Smile
Mikalina

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, most of the summer schools offer positions which consist of teaching in the morning and then 'activities' in the afternoon and evening plus day trips (usually Sat). Sound enthusiastic - say you enjoy working with kids outside and well as inside the classroom. If you have some sort of 'games' bent or experience, highlight this.

You will also have quite a lot of 'supervision' - breakfast, lunch, supper, and night patrols.

Stafford House is good - but you will work hard.
barabbas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some schools advertise early but many will be hiring from the new year. One of the factors when thinking about summer school is length of contract - a few schools go on for 10 or more weeks but most are shorter and most teachers end up doing about 4 weeks. The industry peaks in July and this is when most work is. If your objective is to save money (which you can especially if you get a residential deal with free board and lodging) then the longer contracts would be better. There are very few of these and most companies will give them away first, so in that sense it's best to apply now if you can as you'll be able to get more work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: