Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A modest proposal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oipivo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is so ridiculous.

It's completely unfair to completely dismiss people's opinions. I've lived in The Czech Republic and Turkey and I have zero interest in venturing further East, regardless of pay. I know for a fact that I would not enjoy it for many reasons (heat, lack of pub culture, general culture that I don't enjoy). Just because one person enjoys a place doesn't mean another will too. I don't particularly enjoy Istanbul, but some people love it here. Who am I to tell someone what they will or won't enjoy?

I am very sure of the fact that I enjoy nothing more than a good pub, a snowy winter, and nice cities. Therefor, my wife and I are going to give Poland a try as we believe that we will enjoy it based on other life experiences. Money isn't terribly important to us, being happy with where we live is. Simply, I have a clear idea of what I like and the Middle East (while interesting) would not be a place I would be interested in living for an extended period of time.

In short, KSA probably isn't a bad place to teach at all and some people will enjoy it. Poland (or any other various countries) isn't a bad place to teach and some people will enjoy. Other people will dislike living and teaching in both places. Arguing about it is pointless.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP's refernce to "Redds" puzzled me. On my last visit to Poland - in 1967 - there was no such beverage available. Messers Wikipedia came to the rescue

http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redd%27s
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

US$4,000 a month tax-free in the sunshine must be attractive seen from Poland in January !
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
US$4,000 a month tax-free in the sunshine must be attractive seen from Poland in January !

Not really, winter is for doing winterly things, like making an idiot out of yourself while trying to learn to snowboard Sad

(can't walk today, too sore...)
ecocks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:

Not for me. I love winter here so far. Can't imagine not having the four seasons in the year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I'm with peterparvo on this one. Having no financial worries is great. Funnily enough the Gulf is a good place for those with kids. Lovely outdoor life....great climate....and money to spend on what you want all of the time.

Those who can't adjust usually have other sh*t going on in their lives. Saudi..Qatar etc are for grown ups.

When I'm in Poland I just feel a lot of the TEFLers I meet live like students.

And Ecocks...Gambrinus knocks the socks off Budvar surely....as does Radegast.
ecocks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:

And Ecocks...Gambrinus knocks the socks off Budvar surely....as does Radegast.

To each their own.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at EFLers in Poland raises the question of the strange rise of this dubious "industry" in the last 30 or so years. It rewally is a very curious phenomenon. Not just in Poland but globally.

Last edited by scot47 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Master Shake

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Wasting time... Reply with quote

What raises questions for me is why so many people who teach / have taught in the Middle East are so dead set on convincing people living in Poland that we all have somehow missed the boat. On the Polish forum, no less...

A. Are you all actually aliases for the same person? (I'm sure a few are.)

B. Have you got so much time to kill over there that you post on every forum about your M.E. paradise?

C. Do you secretly work recruiting for M.E. schools?

D. Are you so nostalgic for the good ol' days in Polska that Dave's Polish forum is how you get your fix?

E. Or did you marry a Polish girl and are forever tethered to here, wherever you may roam?

I'll wager it's a little from column A a little from column B...

I do think raising a kid on 5000k/mo. is stretching it pretty thin, however. Sure, you can do it (heck, most of the world does) but are you going to be providing as comfortable a life as you had growing up?
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am motivated by my nostalgia for Gomulka, Gierek and "Polska Ludowa". And genuinely puzzled that while Poles head West, so many EFLers are moving East. Other questions like "Why does Poland need foreigners to do this ?" come to mind.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Wasting time... Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:
What raises questions for me is why so many people who teach / have taught in the Middle East are so dead set on convincing people living in Poland that we all have somehow missed the boat. On the Polish forum, no less...

The answer for that is simple - if they could, they would be in Poland.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To each his own.
ecocks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What attracted me to Poland:

Climate
Architecture
History
Easier travel
Standard of living possibilities
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Increasingly, there are extremely competent local teachers. I met several in my last post who had to convince me that they were actually Polish since all of them had spent many years in the US or the UK. It could be another reason why the halcyon days are over and making ends meet is becoming more difficult, especially for those with families.

Master S and Delph...and a few others post on here constantly, so I don't get the 'bored in the ME' jibe. In the Middle East people tend to have much more time due to office hours being implemented. A lot of the yaysayers are relatively inexperienced....certainly many of them don't have more than 5 or 6 years and are younger and less jaded (for want of a better word).
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re Mastershake Reply with quote

Some people came to Poland in the 90's...have places in Poland, left and did a decade in the Gulf, while still having close links with Poland and now find themselves spending a lot of time in Poland, but have great, well-paid jobs elsewhere, which don't require them being 'abroad' all that much. Some jobs you get home every 28 days...for 28 days.

I think seeing both sides of the fence is something called 'perspective'. That people may or may not have Polish wives is irrelevant. I doubt very much that anyone who posts here is a recruiter. I know I'm not and Scott 47 is retired for example.

I personally love the advice given by Johnny-come latelies here, many of whom don't have kids like Delph and who know nothing about the Middle East.

You can work in Poland, get the wife you went there to find...do the Gulf and come back with lots of money and options. That's objective in my humble opinion.

The other stuff depends on taste. Some people have it and others don't. It also depends on what you're used to. If your mum was a cruddy cook, you might find fasola po bretonsku amazing. If you haven't been to Israel, you might say Polish women are the most beautiful on earth.

Yadda, yadda.......yawn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: