Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hard document deadline?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
genesis315

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Hard document deadline? Reply with quote

Good day all. Borderlink offered me a position and I just sent in all my documents. In their email to me they had the date that they needed the documents by as 19 December, and it was in red. Is this a hard deadline? I had just received the email last Friday and send out the documents on Monday. Not sure how I could of shipped much earlier than that. Anyone know what happens if they show up late?

Thank you for your time.
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email them and say the documents are on the way.

Besides, don't you have overnight shipping in your country? I can't honestly see that anyone should complain about things reaching a destination with a week postal time at their disposal.
genesis315

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by genesis315 on Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rooster.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borderlink doesn't pay for key money or the deposit, do they?
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borderlink is not a good company to work for. (Read the horror stories I've posted about them. Or maybe you already have!). It might be just as well if your documents didn't arrive in time and you had to try for other companies again.
genesis315

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope, no key money, deposit or anything else. I have definitely read the horror stories over the last 5 years that I have been looking into this, but have also heard of some good experiences as well. I figure with my very limited experience, and lack of certifications, not to mention the saturation of the market, that I am probably not at all that marketable myself.

So what say ye of hard deadlines? Any wiggle room if the documents are on the way?
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say about the application deadline. That's something you'll have to hammer out yourself with the company. One thing I will add about dispatch work though is that you should be OK provided you have enough money to set up accommodation and survive the two months until the first paycheck. If not, and you have to borrow from them, they will have you over a barrel in no time.
genesis315

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They actually offered me a position and these are the immigration/contract documents that are on the way. Just sort of wondering what the chances are of them cancelling my offer because the documents are running a few days late.

Last edited by genesis315 on Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least Japan doesn't shut down for Christmas like it does in the West, so hopefully the deadline isn't too absolute. Mind you, I can't imagine the nice people at Borderlink trotting along to the Immigration office again just on your behalf! Sad I guess they want to hold all their latest batch of applicants to that date as much as possible and thus do all the visa paperwork for everybody in one fell swoop.
OneJoelFifty

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genesis315 wrote:
I figure with my very limited experience, and lack of certifications, not to mention the saturation of the market, that I am probably not at all that marketable myself.

Good attitude. I was in the same position when I came over in 2010. I took a job with a relatively low-paying dispatch company in an unglamorous part of Japan. I actually had an overall positive experience, and a lot of that was due to doing my research beforehand. If you know what bad things might happen, it takes away a lot of the impact if they actually occur. The people that don't deal with it well are often those that are shocked by whatever situation they find themselves in.
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, one needs to be realistic, and dispatch work is actually an opportunity (compared to say sitting unemployed in the West for any longer than need be). And it can get a bit tiring if all one hears is stuff like 'You deserve everything you get working for company X, as they are evil incarnate and your are now as bad as them', because "apart from" pay issues (in my case "my own fault", for going in broke after a good screwing from a private HS job where stated contract versus actual conditions were poles apart) and sometimes paid and even unpaid leave issues, the actual job itself, AETing in schools, isn't at all bad! (Still a shame of course that the better conditions of JET or similar direct hire gigs aren't universal, but perhaps the world never could really afford them).

Last edited by fluffyhamster on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Cool Teacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genesis315 wrote:

On another note, the checklist from Borderlink mentioned 'monotone' photos. Does that mean black & white? I sent color.

In Japanese "black and white" is "white and black" and its called monochrome. Cool But mauybe that's what they mena. Confused
genesis315

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: update Reply with quote

Well, the documents arrived thankfully and they are now applying for my COE, which they said will take roughly a month. As I understand it, the COE will be mailed to me then I am supposed to take it to a Japanese embassy. Is that correct? Does it matter which Japanese embassy I take it to?
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It goes to your employer first, then you.

What Japanese embassy or consulate options do you have?
genesis315

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming there is a Japanese Consul or Embassy, would it matter where I take the COE to?

Last edited by genesis315 on Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: