Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Typical salary for various cities
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arguss

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Typical salary for various cities Reply with quote

I tried searching for this, didn't find much.

I know that you can get an idea of salaries from the various postings on the job board, but anyone willing to contribute their experiences together onto a single thread?

Specifically, I'm interested in what you think is an appropriate salary for a 20 hour or a 40 hour work week in cities around Shanghai, like Hangzhou, Nanjing, Wuxi, Suzhou, Ningbo, that sort of thing, although this could become a thread for typical salaries in cities all around China.

EDIT: Perhaps I should specify I mean salaries for ESL teachers from US/UK/New Zealand/etc.

Last edited by Arguss on Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
twilothunder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea for teachers' salaries and accurate, comprehensive data would probably be very, very difficult to get hold of.

Salaries in general? This may help...

Quote:
Beijing tops the list of employees' salary with an average monthly pay of 4,672 yuan (S$916) among the 23 provinces and cities that recently published the statistics, chinanews.com reported Friday.

Shanghai follows with an average monthly salary of 4,331 yuan and Gansu province is at the bottom of the list with a monthly average wage of 2,742 yuan, according to statistics published by local authorities.

The average annual salary of urban non-private employees reached 42,452 yuan in 2011, 14.3 per cent more than the average salary of 37,147 yuan in 2010. The actual growth rate is 8.5 per cent if inflation is deducted, according to National Bureau of Statistics.

The salary published is pre-tax and comprises of all kinds of income including bonuses, allowances and pay in kind.

Source: China Daily/Asia News Network
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

University, high school, kindergarten, or language mill ????

Anything more than 20 classes a week is probably too much for most people, if you want to keep your sanity.
twilothunder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerwilco wrote:

Anything more than 20 classes a week is probably too much for most people, if you want to keep your sanity.

He said 20-40 HOURS a week. Presumably he just meant the 40 hours or so standard office time applicable in most vocations in most countries around the world. Some of us are contracted to do that, of which only half may be teaching, the rest office time.
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twilothunder wrote:
rogerwilco wrote:

He said 20-40 HOURS a week. Presumably he just meant the 40 hours or so standard office time applicable in most vocations in most countries around the world. Some of us are contracted to do that, of which only half may be teaching, the rest office time.

Many newbies get confused about number of hours versus number of classes per week.

Anyway, I have never worked office hours in China, and I really think that I don't want to.

20 office hours a week is still work. If you get paid for all of those hours then it is OK, but I have met some people that do not get paid for office hours.

If you are working 40 hours a week, and getting paid 16,000 or more a month, then I guess it is worth it to work that many hours.
chinatimes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
anyone willing to contribute their experiences together onto a single thread

The big cities like to have the 40 hour teacher. You do about 25 classes and 15 office hours. They might give a complete package with housing and airfare, but that's where I steered clear. Too much of a "dreamy" offer from interviews I had in Shanghai and Beijing. Figure 10,000-15,000 based on their promises. I never actually took that kind of job. I already did it in Japan, and it was a disaster.

If you can gamble all or nothing and be the servant they want, go for it. I can't. I need to plan my own lessons and have freedom. So I look for the offers that are a notch under the kindergarten and business English jobs.

This means you get a lower salary, but you get housing added and should get something for airfare (more if you are closer to a bigger city). Figure 7,000-10,000 based on the school. Visit the school and decide if they are good or not. 50% will be good, 50% won't. The recruiter will say they are all good. If teachers get the good ones and spit out the bad ones, guess the probability you will get a good school if you blindly accept an offer without visiting the school? Enough said, visit the school. At least know what you are getting into so you can pick your battles.

Anything lower than 7,000 should be taken with the hopes of getting a desired location that isn't typical for the average foreigner. You will be the only teacher usually and have no problems with the lack of conveniences like a subway system, international restaurants/stores (*including your home country, that's right), language assistance, and variety in stores (there will be one of what you need, but it usually isn't specifically what you wanted, good smelling soaps is my pet peeve for these areas). You will most likely go into larger cities by taxi, and the cost will be about 30rmb/5usd if you can haggle with the drivers. Otherwise, expect 80rmb/13usd. There will sometimes be buses depending on where you live, you should at least find this out before signing any contract.

Know what you are getting into. The population in a small city is not the same as other countries. I made this mistake thinking I wanted to live in a smaller populated city which reflected other Asian countries. I found myself way too far out and had to leave the first one 3 weeks after experiencing their splendor of hospitality way out there. So, look at a map and make sure there are at least 1 or 2 train/railway stations within 10rmb/2usd range by taxi. If not, you are gambling.

One exception to this are the schools that are located in the outer part where a river splits a city. You have a longer bus ride into the city, but these are actually doable if you just leave early on weekends and leave the city atmosphere around 7pm. You can spend enough time to get what you need and retreat back. I have had the most success with these schools, staying 3.5 years with one, 12 months a second, and this year I completed 13 months with another school.

As far as jobs, it all depends on what you are willing to do. Do you want to teach your stuff or please the school even if you not really teaching?
zactherat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chinatimes wrote:
The big cities like to have the 40 hour teacher. You do about 25 classes and 15 office hours.

WTF? As if there's a single standard for a city the size of Shanghai.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP you're really trying to square the circle here.
There are two distinct employment markets.
The 'private' language school with 20+ hours of contact time, plus 'office' which could involve handing out sales pamphlets at the local mall.
Higher salary to be sure but to my mind not a great lifestyle.
The other 'public' category would involve 16 to 18 contact hours per week plus maybe 2 hours English Corner per month.
No office hours and with free on campus apartment and maybe 10K (RMB) airfare after one year.
Think 'package' and 'lifestyle' just as you would at home.
Arguss

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non Sequitur wrote:
OP you're really trying to square the circle here.
There are two distinct employment markets.
The 'private' language school with 20+ hours of contact time, plus 'office' which could involve handing out sales pamphlets at the local mall.
Higher salary to be sure but to my mind not a great lifestyle.
The other 'public' category would involve 16 to 18 contact hours per week plus maybe 2 hours English Corner per month.
No office hours and with free on campus apartment and maybe 10K (RMB) airfare after one year.
Think 'package' and 'lifestyle' just as you would at home.

Yes, I am aware there is a trade off, I'm just trying to get people's input. If you have experience in the private language schools, post about that. If you have experience in the public sector schools, post about that. If you have both, post about both.

Trying to get an idea of what people who've spent time in China have experience with as a salary range. It seems a relevant topic for an ESL board, and we don't already have a sticky about it, so why not?
ecubyrd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arguss wrote:
Trying to get an idea of what people who've spent time in China have experience with as a salary range. It seems a relevant topic for an ESL board, and we don't already have a sticky about it, so why not?

I'm in Shanghai.

I've worked at both a language mill and an international-type school.

Salary at the 'lm' was about 16,500rmb including housing allowance. It was roughly a 40 hour work week (20 teaching hrs) and mid-week weekends. Sat-Sun were heavy hour days. There was little vacation time.

Salary at the 'its' is about 23,000rmb including housing allowance. It is roughly a 40 hour work week (14 teaching hrs) with Sat-Sun weekends. There is a plethora of vacation time.

I've no idea what uni or public school jobs pay is like here.
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arguss wrote:

The 'why not' is the wide ranging differences in contracts and jobs.

I know people working 7.5 hours a week, yet some will work more than 40.

Lowest salary I have actually encountered is 1750 RMB to the highest of 27,000 RMB per month.

Some people get 3 or 4 months paid holidays a year, some get no paid holidays at all.

Some people do most of the work in the evenings and weekends. Some only work weekday mornings.

Some people are given nice housing with the employer picking up all the utility bills ... some people are left to find and fund their own living arrangements.

Some people live in places where pollution has an actual affect on their health and suffer because of it ... some people live and work in places and report no ill health and pollution (other than noisy locals).

Some employees enjoy their teaching scenario and employment so much they would (and do) volunteer extra duties for free. Some hate it with such a passion they do everything they can to get out of even paid hours!

The variation and scope is so vast you cant simply put an average figure per job IMHO
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also a perception that employers in 'desirable' locations will pay less.
But if we tag this response to a desirable coastal city then:
Salary RMB5500 to 6000.
Airfare after 2 semesters RMB10,000
Winter holiday paid with a RMB2000 travel allowance
Under 18 contact hours pw (a contact hour being 40, 45 or 50 minutes).
English corner 2 hours 2/3 times per semester.
'Furnished' apartment on campus and free.
Water free and electricity free up to a cap and above that teacher paid.
Free internet.
Subsidised teacher dining hall.
July/August summer holiday paid, if you sign for another year - provided they want you of course.
MisterButtkins

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen universities in Kunming, Qingdao, and Dalian paying 3.5-4k a month. I suppose if you are good you could negotiate it up a bit higher. 5-6k is the normal starting rate for unis. Some people get paid more, but someone who has just started working in China probably won't do much better than 6k at a normal Chinese uni.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chinese would rate Dalian and Qingdao as desirable and I've worked in both.
It is all about 'package' so check out airfare etc.
But in both Dalian and Qingdao RMB5000 should be a minimum, with the other bits and pieces as described.
My advice to a newbie is set yourself up with the 'least risk' deal for the first year, even if the salary isn't all that great.
A good experience that first year will set you up for better things in Y2, Y3 etc.
I've seen promising teachers chuck it in for reasons that have nothing to do with ability - just crap/rip off conditions.
zacharybilton

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Typical salary for various cities Reply with quote

Arguss wrote:
I tried searching for this, didn't find much.

I know that you can get an idea of salaries from the various postings on the job board, but anyone willing to contribute their experiences together onto a single thread?

Specifically, I'm interested in what you think is an appropriate salary for a 20 hour or a 40 hour work week in cities around Shanghai, like Hangzhou, Nanjing, Wuxi, Suzhou, Ningbo, that sort of thing, although this could become a thread for typical salaries in cities all around China.

EDIT: Perhaps I should specify I mean salaries for ESL teachers from US/UK/New Zealand/etc.

You do realize that those are all different cities, just like you asked for. Why would different cities have the same salaries? Cities have their own standard, although China as a whole has nearly identical salaries. US/UK/NZ makes no difference. I would NEVER consider Nanjing and Shanghai to be similar in any sense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: