Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Considering Xiamen University
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrampledKlown

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Considering Xiamen University Reply with quote

Anyone taught there?

Three things that bother me:

involvement in college "activities"

housing not included

salary...is it enough? 6000?
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Involvement in certain activities is common. English corner, judging some kind of competition. It's part of the job.
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering Xiamen University Reply with quote

TrampledKlown wrote:
Anyone taught there?

Three things that bother me:

involvement in college "activities"

housing not included

salary...is it enough? 6000?

Housing not included ? 6000 is not enough. Sure, you can probably find a place that costs you only 1000 to 1500 a month, but then you have to deal with possibly huge deposits, utilities, buying furniture or appliances, hotel costs until you find an apartment, etc.

Not worth the hassle, IMO.
Fanyi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am in Xiamen now (teaching at a high school). My pay is 6000 without housing as well. I live in the suburbs, currently pay 1600 for rent in a high rise (with utilties about 1750). If you're looking for a modern, high rise type house ond living room one kitchen type of deal on the island- Xiamen University is on the island- my experience is that you're looking at 1800 at best, likely 2000 or more, although some Chinese friends seem to think less is possible. Rooms in older, 2 to 3 story homes could be had for 1200 to 1300, though the one I looked at rather looked its age. It can be hard to find a place without a real estate agency, and most agencies here want half of one month's rent-you can negotiate it down,but perhaps not by much. Finding a landlord that is willing to accept a 10 month lease is really hard, and a 1 year lease could leave you out to dry if you left after teaching from September to June. Note that this is all based on a week of house hunting here-I'm by no means an expert!
So its quite possible you'll be looking at 4000 for usable money or less after you get your place if you want a high rise.
Now for the positives, from talking to colleagues, it seems like part time work is pretty easy to find, though you may need to keep it low key if the University warns you about this. Xiamen University really has a beautiful campus, and Xiamen's air quality is actually really good compared to most Chinese cities, and I've heard- I don't go into the city much- that there's an actual expat scene here. So there you go, Xiamen is a great city, the University seems really good, but your deal is likely to leave you with less disposable money than a standard 5000 and housing deal.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what 'activities?' get it in writing.

or you could wind up dressed like kung fu panda
doing chop-socky english demonstrations for
kindergarten-age brats in the park every
sunday morning.
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally would struggle to accept that offer on the basis of the information you've provided.

Now I have no issue with low-salary jobs. Heck, I work them myself! But I believe if you are to justify or accept a lower salary it has to be on the basis of convenience etc. Finding your own apartment and dealing with deposits, furniture, utilities and repairs etc isnt very convenient in my book ... and I often imagine that finding an apartment right on the doorstep of your employer isnt easy either....and any sort of commute is more inconvenience to me.

If you have very strong motivations (either personal or professional) to be with that employer, or if the hours are super low (less than 10 class hours per week for example) it might make a difference, but I wouldnt be tempted personally.

Is there no potential for employer supplied housing?
Shroob

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I echo what the other posters have said, there's better offers out there.

While Xiamen University has a very nice campus and Xiamen is a nice city, after talking to an English teacher who works there I forgot about getting a job there. He told me that the pay was low for the work and what was offered (which is what your post confirms). He also mentioned that the administration is a pain and, to summarise, he only stayed as he has a family there. I know that's only one person's view but if you have the qualifications/experience, there are better jobs out there.
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any university that doesn't provide housing, no matter how nice their campus is, can take a hike.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Any university that doesn't provide housing, no matter how nice their campus is, can take a hike

Yeah, and no housing allowance, the salary is way too low; pass on this place, OP.
MisterButtkins

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Essentially, the deal is substandard. The school can get away with this because Xiamen is one of about 5-6 cities that a good deal of foreigners would love to live in (it's warm, near beach, low pollution)
kimo50

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Xiamen Reply with quote

I am in Xiamen. Its not a cheap date. 6000 would be a struggle. I earn double that plus housing...any less I wouldnt be here. Yes its a nice university but are you going to enjoy your experience under those financial circumstances?
mnguy29

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And they require a Masters degree to teach oral english. This is what I have heard. They only pay 6000? What about their housing allowance that I have heard about? Supposed to be 1300rmb.
I teach at another Uni in Xiamen. The pay is low and I have to pay my own apartment. I am lucky to find a reasonable one. If its only 6000, I would pass on it. Not cheap to live in Xiamen.
GreatApe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I agree with the members here who are telling you to keep looking. I think pbdecker04 has given the OP some very good advice, and he's there first-hand and living on 6000 a month, so he would know.

I've never lived or worked in Xiamen, but I've lived and worked in two places on a similar salary and it's not fun. If you're qualified to teach at X. U. then you're qualified to make better money and/or get a housing allowance. It all depends on what you're willing to live with, or what you choose to ask for ... before you take the job.

In my case, I make twice as much money, but I live in a city which is not half as nice. I choose to vacation in nice cities, and live and work where the money is, and where the cost of living and benefits are much more in my favor. At SOME point, you'll want to get out of Xiamen (even if it's only for a vacation) and working at a university will give you the time to do so ... but the question is will you have the money when you want to "get away" for awhile?

I lived on 5 thousand a month in Yangshuo for a year and only managed to save about 7,000 RMB before I left. And I'm NOT a particularly heavy drinker or partier or socializer. I like to read, in fact!

If you're independenly wealthy, you might take the job ... if you're like many of us and trying to save some money and get a little bit ahead, then I'd keep looking.

--GA
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't mention airfare or paid holiday for Spring Festival break.
This offer is nonsense if on top of no accom you pay your own airfare and don't know about holidays.
Can you enlighten as to contract period and expected start date?
If it is one semester (say Feb to end June) then maybe take it and look elsewhere for 1 Sept start.
That said, you may be required to make a commitment on your accom which in effect locks you into the uni.
If you are not under pressure, then await the main uni hiring season say April/May for Sept start and get a good deal.
I OPd a thread on Job Offer Checklist a few months ago.
A lot of good suggestions were put forward.
There are other pleasant coastal gigs - Dalian and Qingdao being two.
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM me for more details re. XMU.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: