Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hainan Normal University

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valaki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Hainan Normal University Reply with quote

Anyone have any info?

Got an offer through Zhejiang University Helen China TEFL Network Co., Ltd.
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

China TEFL Network goes by many different names, and is notoriously famous. Just do a search on this forum of "Hangzhou and Helen", and you will find 34 matches with nothing good to say about the company.

You can find the schools website on the internet and use that to find the phone numbers in which you can call the school directly.
Valaki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same Helen? S*&^%.

OK never mind, sorry to bother everyone.

Calling off the whole thing.
Shroob

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valaki wrote:

Fly, fly you fools!
Valaki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shroob wrote:
Valaki wrote:

Fly, fly you fools!

Thanks Gandalf.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pity as the campus is nice as I recall but note it is in Haikou not Sanya where the beaches are.
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I contacted a couple of universities directly that I had found on the China TEFL website.

The problem is that China TEFL will tend to further corrupt the universities in that the leaders of the school will try to offer you the same type of bad contract as China TEFL because they now see that they can get away with it.

I still recommend always contacting the schools directly, but my experience is that the universities that I contacted try to offer contracts with zero benefits , no paid holidays, F visas, unreimbursed expenses, etc. Same as the reality of the China TEFL contract.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a current thread about 'Typical Salaries'.
My experience over 3xpublic colleges doesn't reflect rogerwilco's view.
I think the public outfits realise that they're in it for the long haul and know word of mouth counts for a lot.
Public sector salary and benefits in reasonable locales but excluding the very big and pricy cities line up pretty much.
This is on direct negotiation not using an agent.
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non Sequitur wrote:
I think the public outfits realise that they're in it for the long haul and know word of mouth counts for a lot.
Public sector salary and benefits in reasonable locales but excluding the very big and pricy cities line up pretty much.

Maybe I was not clear in what I was trying to say.
The schools that currently do business with China TEFL are the schools that in my experience might try to offer you a bad contract similar to China TEFL's.

In other words, China TEFL teaches or encourages some schools to become more frugal or shortsighted.

A school that has not been corrupted by China TEFL will typically offer better conditions and contracts.

China TEFL is more than just a recruiter. China TEFL acts as a middle man between you and the school for the length of the contract. Your contract is with China TEFL, not the school. China TEFL keeps 50% or more of the money paid to them monthly by the school, and then pays you the remainder.

Last edited by rogerwilco on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Roger.
I see your point now.
Best
NS
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerwilco wrote:
Non Sequitur wrote:

Maybe I was not clear in what I was trying to say.
The schools that currently do business with China TEFL are the schools that in my experience might try to offer you a bad contract similar to China TEFL's.

In other words, China TEFL teaches or encourages some schools to become more frugal or shortsighted.

A school that has not been corrupted by China TEFL will typically offer better conditions and contracts.

China TEFL is more than just a recruiter. China TEFL acts as a middle man between you and the school for the length of the contract. Your contract is with China TEFL, not the school. China TEFL keeps 50% or more of the money paid to them monthly by the school, and then pays you the remainder.

The job I've held for the past three years I found on China TEFL, and I had no dealings with any middleman. I found the school email on the China TEFL site and since I was already in the same province I just emailed them and went there myself to check the place out and negotiate and sign the contract. China TEFL had nothing to do with any of that. The school pays a fair wage and has treated us well so far so they don't seem corrupted in the way described. I did job hunt on other sites but got tired of seeing jobs where I had to go through recruiters time and again and gave up on those ones. China TEFL just happened to be one where info was more freely available. It worked for me, is all I want to point out.
parnett

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been working for China TEFL for the past year and a half. Why did I extend my contract after one year? I was too lazy to look for a job myself.
There are a few good points about working for them. They pay on time and in full. They do a fairly good job of securing a residency permit for teachers. They will listen to your problems with the company (and do nothing about them).
Other than the fact that they lie constantly and break the contracts constantly, they are a disorganized mess (and that's an understatement). To give you an example- for my first physical with the company to obtain the work permit, they sent me to the wrong hospital in the wrong city (Yichang instead of Wuhan) costing me more than 1000 rmb. Did they reimburse me? Of course not.
Their salaries for university are about the same as the rest of the country. However, their high school salaries are significantly lower. This is not all their fault- high schools engage their services knowing they will have to pay less for teachers.
I would avoid them at all possible costs if I were you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: