Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone heard of this group?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamason

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Has anyone heard of this group? Reply with quote

Guangzhou Saintshine Education Service Co. Ltd.

The job seems really good...

Top kindergarten in Shunde, Foshan, to work 30 hours weekly for: 12000 RMB monthly salary, plus 10000RMB yearly bonus, free furnished apartment on the campus, nearly two months paid summer vacation and Chinese public holidays, free breakfast and lunch, 300RMB monthly transportation allowance, accidental and medical insurance, work visa sponsored and guaranteed. Kids aged 3-6, Class size of about 26, Curriculum ready made. Female preferred. Starting in February 18, 2013.

They have asked me to read a rough contract, then supply some documents for an interview.

I've had a couple of interviews/job offers but the pay is either really bad or the research I did on the company is horrifying. It's kind of disheartening.
Jamason

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I would add I have a double degree in education and visual art/minor in computer education. TESOL certificate and I would say my experience is limited to about 6 months.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay is too low for the hours in that area. Thirty hours per week with an average class size of 26? You'll go insane.
Jamason

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, could you expand a little on what you said about the pay in the area?

Also wouldn't a class size of 26 be standard in an Australian classroom?

Here is a bit on the contract as well about the hours.

7. Working time will be 5 days a week from Monday to Friday, 6.5 hours per day. That is 7:45am � 11:45am in the morning and 3:15pm � 5:45pm in the afternoon. During 3:15 to 3:45 in the afternoon, Party B should do some more preparation for teaching such as teaching aids etc.
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a free apartment that money is fine in Foshan.
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be difficult for me to do 30 teaching hours a week, and I could never teach Kindergarteners.
But, it seems OK for a young and energetic newbie that loves little kids.

Losing sanity optional, but probable Smile
Jamason

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who said anything about being sane? Wink

Is Foshan an expensive city to live, comparable to Hong Kong?

I would like to save a little bit Smile
johntpartee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
With a free apartment that money is fine in Foshan

Yeah, but not for kindergarten. Usually kindergartens are the highest paid. It would be okay for college, but it's actually too low for even middle or high school. That's a fairly expensive area; 100 yuan per hour w/apartment for college-level is pretty standard anywhere in China.
roadwalker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the hours seemed to have jumped from 30/week to 32.5/week. Get that sorted if you discuss it further.

Class sizes are often very large in China, especially for secondary, but 26 kindergartners seems like more kids to me than 60 middle school seniors (in a good academic-track school, say). Are you experienced at working with the little darlings? If the thought of so many little ones isn't daunting, I'd say go for it.

I agree you should be able to save money with that salary and having a furnished apartment thrown in. Hong Kong is more expensive than Foshan, and I know that without having spent any time in Foshan. If you have few vices you should be able to save all but a few thousand RMB. Less if you like to take a weekend in Hong Kong or travel a lot around the mainland.
Jamason

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I was offered a job in HK, $500 a week no apartment. Didn't accept that job.

I guess what I'm asking does anyone know if Foshan is more expensive than some of the other cities in China?

I like the lil ones and I'll accept the challenge (I'm guessing this is the type of response you would expect out of someone so green.)

I'll ask about the hours thing but I was told that was a sample contract so they might straighten that out.

I have to admit my confusion with the job hunting is never ending.

People are saying with my quals I should be getting a pretty good job but with the jobs I have found/had interviews/job offers this one seems to be the best so far. Usually I am seeing 7000RMB a month with apartment.

I have heard horror stories about Shane, DD Dragon, York etc but I don't know if that's just people venting on the discussion forums. Mind you I was meant to have an interview with York last night and they didn't even show up on the Skype screen (waited half an hour).

I guess what I'm asking out of this rant, with my quals does anyone have any idea what I should be aiming for Question
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you see something in a contract you don't like, negotiate. Make trade-offs. No-one at our school has identical contracts because over time we all negotiated something different into them.
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johntpartee wrote:
Quote:
With a free apartment that money is fine in Foshan

Yeah, but not for kindergarten. Usually kindergartens are the highest paid. It would be okay for college, but it's actually too low for even middle or high school. That's a fairly expensive area; 100 yuan per hour w/apartment for college-level is pretty standard anywhere in China.

Some would agree with you especially if you don't really want to deal with small kids, but for someone who enjoys that then it's different. Just like some don't want to work college, or language mills for other reasons. The hours seem a bit high but 12000 a month still goes a long way in any city in China if you've got a free apartment. 400/day is surely more than enough for anyone to live comfortably.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm referring to the jaded.
doogsville

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check with the school exactly how many hours a day are teaching hours, how many classes you will have to teach each day and what kind of break you get between classes.

The standard practice in kindergartens here in Zhuhai seems to be teaching in the morning, say 8 to 12, then lunch break, then office hours in the afternoon, 2.30 to 5.30 or thereabouts. I have a few friends who do this. They spend the afternoon planning and preparing teaching materials for future classes, or sometimes just playing with the kids and speaking English with them, but not doing structured teaching.

The going rate here is 8 to 12k depending on the school. The class sizes are 30 or less. The people I know who do it are not thrilled to be in the office in the afternoon, but they have every evening and weekend free and it forces them to be disciplined and structured about planning the lessons. Also the money is good. In most cases that 12k is without housing though, which can cost from 1500 to 2k plus here.
Jamason

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Smile

From the times you just gave me then, the rough contract they sent me was much the same.

I'm quite happy with that structured routine and I would want time to prepare.

It seems to have accommodation plus 12k is quite good then?

Actually I just want to confirm if someone has an idea with what accommodation I will be getting. In the contract there was no mention of a shower or kitchen in my room and I think it's located on campus. It seems dorm like.

Does anyone have any experience with this and if so what was it like?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: