Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone heard of this group?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah most schools that offer free accommodation are universities and that usually means your own (not shared) on-campus furnished apartment complete with kitchen and bathroom. Schools like the one you listed here don't always have their own accommodation and they sometimes give their employees an allowance to go find their own place in the city. To find out what Top Kindergarten accommodation is like you have to ask them. It's reasonable to ask them to send you some photos of the apartment they're offering with this job.

Last edited by Javelin of Radiance on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
it'snotmyfault

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it concerns you I'd ask them to send you some photo's and confirm in writing what the accommodation is like.

Also you could ask to have the contact details of a current teacher, so they can tell you what it's really like there.

If the school aren't willing to do this it could be a warning sign!!
johntpartee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type of accommodation will DEFINITELY have to be something you find out on your own. It can vary immensely. Ask VERY specific questions.
Jamason

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for addressing my questions and concerns. I'll send an update once I have the interview tomorrow!
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience has been that the accomodations that schools offer tend to reflect their attitude towards FT's.

Also, some of the apartments may look OK in pictures, but when you view them in person you will learn that they are dirty, smelly, and noisy.

The better schools tend to provide better apartments. But, that is very difficult to judge by pictures alone. So, that is one of the reasons that contacting the current FT's is frequently recommended.

Last edited by rogerwilco on Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jamason

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I got the job which I'm pretty happy about Smile I was just wondering if someone could have a quick look at the official contract and tell me what they think. It turns out I'm not teaching the classes on my own and 9 other western teachers are there. I have asked to talk to two teachers and asked questions about the accommodation.

I. Position and Duration of Employment
Party A shall employ Party B as an English classroom teacher for a period from February 18, 2013 to February17, 2014.

II. Salary and Benefits
1. Party B�s salary shall be RMB11,000 before tax for the first month. If both parties are happy with each other, Party B�s salary will be raised to RMB12,000 per month before tax from March, 2013 to February, 2014. Party B shall enjoy nearly two months paid summer vacation and the Chinese public holidays during the contract period.
2. Party B shall enjoy a round-way air ticket of tourist class to homeland on completion of the contract year.
3. Party B shall be offered a free apartment on the campus furnished with a single bed and closet, a western style toilet, washing machine, air conditioner, microwave, fridge.
4. Party A will offer Party B 10000RMB as a bonus upon Party B�s successful completion of the contract.
5. Party B shall enjoy free breakfast and lunch in the school canteen. Party A pays Party B 300 RMB transport fees (Party B should give Party A valid receipts).
6. Party B shall be provided with accidental injury insurance and hospitalization medical insurance; Party B shall be responsible for 50% of the cost(the detailed insurance amount is according to the insurance plan).
7. Party B shall enjoy free health service in the school clinic.
8. Party B shall enjoy a free full work visa and residency permit.
9. Party B shall have basic office equipment in the kindergarten.

III. Employee Responsibilities:
1. Party B must obey the constitutions, laws and rules of the People�s Republic of China. Observe Party A�s rules and regulations, and performs well <the daily routine of the foreign teachers>.
2. Party B shall love and respect all children and never punish them physically or corporal punishment in any shape or form, never say any insult and abuse words to children.
3. Party B shall pass the medical examination conducted in China and stay in good health (no history of mental health).
4. Party B shall be responsible for income tax.
5. With Party A�s approval, Party B�s relatives or friends can stay in kindergarten.
6. Party B shall pay for all expenses including family meals, night meals, phone, gas, water, electricity, Internet, etc. during the stay in the apartment.
7. Working time will be 5 days a week from Monday to Friday, 6.5 hours per day. That is 7:45am � 11:45am in the morning and 3:15pm � 5:45pm in the afternoon. During 3:15 to 3:45 in the afternoon, Party B should do some more preparation for teaching such as teaching aids etc. Party B will teach according to the rearrangement of the lesson schedule due to the Chinese public holidays.
8. Party B shall work out the teaching objective and evaluate/test the students at the end of each term. Party B will submit for Party A�s file the full comment of the kids Party A teaches and the teaching recording required two weeks before the end of the term. Party B shall arrange teaching plan and make teaching material.
9. Party B shall submit to Party A the lesson plan for the whole term about one week before each term, and the weekly teaching plan for the following week before every Thursday .
10. Party B will not only be responsible for academic teaching tasks, but also be responsible for the children�s social, mental and spiritual well-being with the other two Chinese teachers and conservation teacher in the class. Party B shall also communicate with the parents in time.
11. According to the teacher�s arrangements, three days before the beginning of each term and three days after the ending of each term, Party B is required to do some preparation or conclusion work, take part in some school training.
12. Party B shall attend the teaching seminars together with Chinese English teachers and be ready to participate in school activities.
13. Party B shall be punctual to class. Salary may be deducted accordingly due to tardiness or early leave; any other leave (including sick leave) due to personal reasons will be considered as unpaid. If party B is absent from the work for one day (or for an hour or two) without party A's permission, Party A will doubly deduct salary from party B.
14. Party B cannot take part in any other part-time jobs without permission from Party A.
15. Party B shall take part in the special activities in kindergarten. (Such as parties, graduate activities, sports meetings or social benefit activities.)

I. During the execution of this contract, either party may terminate this contract with a sixty-day advance notice if it can not follow the contract. Otherwise the party who can not follow the contract has to pay the counter party an amount equivalent to Party B�s monthly salary.

II. This contract will take effect on the date signed by both parties and will automatically expire when the contract ends.

III. This contract is signed in two copies; two copies both in Chinese and in English. Both parties shall each hold copies of this contract, each copy having equal authenticity.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Party B shall pay for all expenses including family meals, night meals, phone, gas, water, electricity, Internet, etc. during the stay in the apartment

That would give me pause (bold text).
Lancy Bloom

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no group one person who can put more spam on the internet for English teacahers than anyone. Keep checking and you will find his name. Actually he will find you.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What?????
Jamason

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johntpartee wrote:
What?????

What he said...
it'snotmyfault

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamason wrote:
johntpartee wrote:
What?????

What he said...

I think international spies use this site to send coded messages to each other..it's the only explanation I can think of
Jamason

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey people just another question, thanks for bearing with me. Whenever I use the search option I just get a completely blank page, don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Just wonder if I can get some general advice about visas.

I hear they can be fake sometimes, is there a way to prevent this or tell tale signs of fake visas?
RhettL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a few years ago, but worth asking. Did you take that job? How did it go?
Blue Skies

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I have never heard of that company I have received over 20 job offers to teach in China during the last month and what you describe looks like a crap job to me.
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tell them you won't start work until you are 100% legal and you will notice a lot of the rats will go back to their cages.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: