Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EFL/ESL tests- just a front for Western propaganda?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Sashadroogie



Joined: 17 Apr 2007
Posts: 9557
Location: Moskva, The Workers' Paradise

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: EFL/ESL tests- just a front for Western propaganda? Reply with quote

Have a look at this clip and judge for yourself:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1iiPG8Js8M
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coledavis



Joined: 21 Jun 2003
Posts: 1837

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to cover cultural aspects of English, most textbooks and examinations cover positive rather than negative aspects of English-speaking countries, usually Britain or the USA. Having said that, I couldn't see anything particularly spun here. The nearest it got to propaganda was its resemblance to a filibuster: it was difficult to keep my eyes open.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sashadroogie



Joined: 17 Apr 2007
Posts: 9557
Location: Moskva, The Workers' Paradise

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is there a text describing how prisoners are renditioned, eh? Or how the Chinese government is formed? Bah! Spin!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coledavis



Joined: 21 Jun 2003
Posts: 1837

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you like doing at the weekend, Sam? (use present continuous)

Water-boarding. Subprime lending. Executing the mentally subnormal.

And Tommy? (past continuous)

Sticking Indians in front of cannons. Sending in the gunboats. Setting up concentration camps.

Well, I suppose they might appeal to ESL students..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
johnslat



Joined: 21 Jan 2003
Posts: 12730
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear coledavis,

Your examples are all the 2nd part of the verb (the present participle) used as gerund objects of the verbs.

Were we to extend Sam's and Tommy's answers to complete sentence, this is what they'd say:

Sam: Oh, I like water-boarding, sub-prime lending, and executing the mentally subnormal.

Q: And you, Tommy. What did you (use to) like to do?

Tommy: Oh, I liked (used to like) sticking Indians in front of cannons, sending in the gunboats, and setting up concentration camps.

Regards,
John
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
teacheratlarge



Joined: 17 Nov 2011
Posts: 180
Location: Japan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Where is there a text describing how prisoners are renditioned, eh? Or how the Chinese government is formed? Bah! Spin!!!


China has a government????


Good to know these things...... Shocked

Where is the text talking about the gulags?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coledavis



Joined: 21 Jun 2003
Posts: 1837

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so little time, JS, so l.t.
johnslat wrote:
Dear coledavis,

Your examples are all the 2nd part of the verb (the present participle) used as gerund objects of the verbs.

Were we to extend Sam's and Tommy's answers to complete sentence, this is what they'd say:

Sam: Oh, I like water-boarding, sub-prime lending, and executing the mentally subnormal.

Q: And you, Tommy. What did you (use to) like to do?

Tommy: Oh, I liked (used to like) sticking Indians in front of cannons, sending in the gunboats, and setting up concentration camps.

Regards,
John
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sashadroogie



Joined: 17 Apr 2007
Posts: 9557
Location: Moskva, The Workers' Paradise

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teacheratlarge wrote:
Sashadroogie wrote:
Where is there a text describing how prisoners are renditioned, eh? Or how the Chinese government is formed? Bah! Spin!!!


China has a government????


Good to know these things...... Shocked

Where is the text talking about the gulags?


If you want to learn Russian, I can direct to you to Russian course books which use texts about Stalin and his famous phrases. Similar texts are not something you are likely to see in a TEOFL exam.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC