Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DWW English in Guangzhou?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nomad79

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: DWW English in Guangzhou? Reply with quote

Ad looks like it might be too good to be true.

Info anyone?

(David Worldwide English)
fred13331

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As i live in GZ this piqued my interest. Not sure what add you saw, but the ones i googled looked terrible

http://www.eslemployment.com/esl-in-guangzhou-china-16-hours-week-7350rmb-month-small-groups-of-adults-no-office-hours-guangzhou-guangdong-china-34627307.htm

7350 for 16 hours. No mention of accommodation. Terrible. Many universities in GZ pay more than that, and they pay you 12 month salary for 8 worked, and provide accom.

A decent rental in GZ will be 3000, leaving you 1000 a week to live
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That ad is interesting.

dww.english wrote:
Only NATIVE ENGLISH speakers from America, UK, or Canada need apply

I've never heard of an anti-Antipodian bias in ESL before.
Is there a bias in Canton against Aussies in Kiwis, does someone in high places have some sort of vendetta against them, or is the school so new at this that they don't know people speak English down under.

~Q
fred13331

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting they should be so picky - it is a very bad offer. Can't see them being inundated with applicants.

There is no anti-Antipodean bias in the south as far as I can discern. There are a lot of American / British operated schools, who often have a preference. rockies is another example of a crap, yet picky school.

Half the people advertising here also seem unaware there is an English speaking country called Ireland. Many also shun South Africa, but, as often as not that is due to an aversion to the accent, rather than ignorance of its existence.
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of schools advertise for north american accents. That's their preference and it's not unusual in this part of the world.
the lowlander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a truly awful offer.

I can't imagine that anyone would actually apply for this job.

These are breadline wages without an apartment.

Stay well clear.
Jellyfish666

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked in this center ealier this year before leaving Guangzhou for Shenzhen.

So strange that you guys would say it's a bad offer. For a training center teaching adults, it seems to me it's ok pay, because there aren't all those stupid stand-by hours that other centers have. I used to work in bigger centers in north China, and I worked in Wall Street in Guangzhou. They expect you to be there all day every day, and still pay a small salary.

The downside of this job wasn't the salary (although of course more would have been better), it was that a few of the students were kids. And I only like teaching adults.

Otherwise, this place was pretty honest compared to lots of other centers in China. Hey... At least they paid on time and had super nice students... And respected their contract (unbelieveable... in China!)
Asiateacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi... Jellyfish, or anyone else who has actually worked here... Apart from what you said, do you think this school is ok to work at? I'm moving to Guangzhou this week, and I have a few interviews set up accross the city, and DWW English is one of the places. It loks a bit smaller than the big schools, so I'm wondering if they are ok employers. Anything I should know before the interview? Are there split shifts or any bad surprises? The pay seems fine to me compared to other centers, especially if it's trued that there are no office hours.
Jellyfish666

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asiateacher wrote:
Hi... Jellyfish, or anyone else who has actually worked here... Apart from what you said, do you think this school is ok to work at? I'm moving to Guangzhou this week, and I have a few interviews set up accross the city, and DWW English is one of the places. It loks a bit smaller than the big schools, so I'm wondering if they are ok employers. Anything I should know before the interview? Are there split shifts or any bad surprises? The pay seems fine to me compared to other centers, especially if it's trued that there are no office hours.

I don't know what you're looking for exactly, but when I worked here I didn't have any major problems. I just didn't enjoy the kids classes, but other teachers seemed to like them. Anyway, this place seemed pretty Kosher, kinda interesting because the boss was from Canada, and always seemed to be around. Also it was kinda cool that there wasn't any class prep.

Oh, the other thing that MIGHT bother you (but didn't bother me too much) is that the schedules changed a bit every week, and every now and then some of the 1-1 students would cancel their classes, which sucks sometimes. But lots of other centers I've worked for had this problem too.

But overall it was a good time. Awesome staff and even AWESOMER (is that a word?) students. I think I'd work here before working at EF:)
Asiateacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jellyfish666 wrote:
Asiateacher wrote:

I don't know what you're looking for exactly, but when I worked here I didn't have any major problems. I just didn't enjoy the kids classes, but other teachers seemed to like them. Anyway, this place seemed pretty Kosher, kinda interesting because the boss was from Canada, and always seemed to be around. Also it was kinda cool that there wasn't any class prep.

Oh, the other thing that MIGHT bother you (but didn't bother me too much) is that the schedules changed a bit every week, and every now and then some of the 1-1 students would cancel their classes, which sucks sometimes. But lots of other centers I've worked for had this problem too.

But overall it was a good time. Awesome staff and even AWESOMER (is that a word?) students. I think I'd work here before working at EF:)

Hi Jelly. Thanks for the info. Actually, this place sounds cool... But I took another job in a kindergarten becasue I want to work days.

I just got home from a few drinks, and I saw your reply... and i noticed that we joined the same day... freaky! Dude... Just don't tell me we have the same birthday... Kinda like "Identity" (don't telle me your birthday"...

Anyway, Thanks again! Hope work and pleasure are all good!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: