Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Local Teachers of English Language in State Schools
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How effective are local English language teachers in your region?
Excellent
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Pretty Good
30%
 30%  [ 6 ]
Just Fair
20%
 20%  [ 4 ]
Weak
35%
 35%  [ 7 ]
Total Waste of Time
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 20

teacheratlarge

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

santi84 wrote:
Sashadroogie wrote:
There's a post somewhere about how countries' politics and their dubbing habits are intimately linked...

Here in Canada, the Simpsons is dubbed in French. When famous people are mentioned in jokes, the names are often replaced by C�line Dion or her husband Ren� Ang�lil. Confused Dubbing has gone TOO FAR out here Evil or Very Mad

That is done here in Japan even with movies shown in the original language. Often Japanese audience members wouldn't get references to people who are famous in the US or Europe, so the jokes are often changed to something not even remotely related.

That is also why many Japanese movie titles for English language movies don't come near the original English titles in meaning, ex 'As good as it gets' became 'Romance story novelist' (the job of the character played by Jack Nicholson in the movie ).
kpjf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teacheratlarge wrote:

That is done here in Japan even with movies shown in the original language. Often Japanese audience members wouldn't get references to people who are famous in the US or Europe, so the jokes are often changed to something not even remotely related.

Not being American, sometimes when I watch an American comedian I don't always understand the references to some (relatively) famous Americans, so in some ways this is reasonable (but this isn't so frequent for me).

Quote:
That is also why many Japanese movie titles for English language movies don't come near the original English titles in meaning, ex 'As good as it gets' became 'Romance story novelist' (the job of the character played by Jack Nicholson in the movie ).

But I guess that's done in most countries. You can't always directly translate (obviously) and this means titles sometimes need to be changed as it may be a play on words in the original language or simply doesn't 'sound' good in the translated language.

What I find strange is that the Haruki Murakami book is translated into English "Norwegian wood" yet in Spanish it's "Tokio blues"!
BocaNY

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kpjf wrote:

I agree, but, what do the Scandanavian countries actually do?

Here is an article that I read on the Finnish education system. It mentions some of the things that they do. One of the main ones being no standardized testing until 16 years of age.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/13/education/from-finland-an-intriguing-school-reform-model.html?pagewanted=all

or this one which is much more detailed

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/people-places/Why-Are-Finlands-Schools-Successful.html?c=y&page=1
kpjf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BocaNY wrote:
kpjf wrote:

I agree, but, what do the Scandanavian countries actually do?

Here is an article that I read on the Finnish education system. It mentions some of the things that they do. One of the main ones being no standardized testing until 16 years of age.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/13/education/from-finland-an-intriguing-school-reform-model.html?pagewanted=all

or this one which is much more detailed

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/people-places/Why-Are-Finlands-Schools-Successful.html?c=y&page=1

Thanks! I'll give them a read.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: