Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

umowa o dzielo / karta pobytu / insurance
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richfilth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No missus; everything in my name, in Swiss Francs, using my passport. I did have a piece of paper (my meldunek, with a PESEL on it) but that's from the local ratusz rather than the immigration office, and that's far more useful than any karta. Back it up with a passport and it'll allow you to sign any form of contract in Poland.
Daktari

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Went to several offices...they wouldn't give me my old NIP/PESEL numbers from when I used to work in Poland until I get my karta renewed. It's a chasing your tail situation.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

Daktari wrote:
Went to several offices...they wouldn't give me my old NIP/PESEL numbers from when I used to work in Poland until I get my karta renewed. It's a chasing your tail situation.

It's also standard in the EU to expect foreigners to reside legally to do things. The UK is the strange beast for allowing people to do all sorts without residency documents. Try getting anywhere in France without a valid residency certificate - and Spain has just started majorly clamping down on people without a valid NIE.

But let's clarify - are you talking about a normal debit card, or a credit card? It's not unreasonable to expect you to be legally resident to get a credit card - but plenty of banks (multibank, ING, mbank, etc) will issue debit cards to people with a copy of their lease for their property.

As for your stories - nice stories, but just stories. Unless these were over 10 years ago and these were fake policemen. There were certainly plenty of scams going on back in the day, but nowadays? The police don't get involved in low level stuff - the ABW openly tries to catch them, and every policeman knows that it's not worth your career and very nice early retirement for the sake of a 50zl bribe.

Actually, the police here seem to be terribly lenient at times. I know one case where a loud mouthed British drunk (who was openly rude to them) was let off with a 100zl fine - by all rights, he should have been down the station and dealt with there.
Daktari

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I wrote credit card and I meant credit card. I have an official residence document, stamped etc...my passport, a written notarised salary statement and a British passport...not to mention an ongoing standing order for more than anyone here earns...and that isn't even all of my salary. Seems dumb to me. As EU memebers we're meant to be reading off the same page. Now a banking union's in the maling, how are the Poles going to continue their continued crackdown on foreign mortgages?...that smacks of protectionism to me. Should be able to pick up my karta in January, then the office for the NIP and PESEL, then I'm away so to speak. It's been a frustrating hassle.

As for the police stories? Well, they're true full stop. The traffic cops got a couple of hundred a piece as the driver, a bank director, wasn't prpepared to take the risk of being hauled off down the station. The wallet incident happened when I hailed a cab, which turned out to be a police car. It was late, no-one else was about and I'd been in the pub ;-)

Then there was the hospital that charged me 600Zl for a scan even after I had shown them my British passport.

The list's endless mate........Poles never miss a trick when it comes to getting money from Jonnie foreigner as all those on this thread who haven't been paid by a school know.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

Daktari wrote:
I wrote credit card and I meant credit card. I have an official residence document, stamped etc...my passport, a written notarised salary statement and a British passport...not to mention an ongoing standing order for more than anyone here earns...and that isn't even all of my salary. Seems dumb to me.

Not really. Polish banking regulations are pretty strict concerning lending, which is why the banks here haven't suffered with irresponsible lending unlike others. The UK in comparison was a total joke with lending - I met one very interesting bloke who was in Poland chasing down Poles who had run up incredible amounts of debt in the UK - how on earth could someone who had been in the UK for a few months get several thousand pounds of credit?!

I'm not surprised they didn't want to give you a credit card without all the residency paperwork in place. You wouldn't get one in Germany, France or Spain without it - so why Poland?

Quote:
As EU memebers we're meant to be reading off the same page. Now a banking union's in the maling, how are the Poles going to continue their continued crackdown on foreign mortgages?...that smacks of protectionism to me. Should be able to pick up my karta in January, then the office for the NIP and PESEL, then I'm away so to speak. It's been a frustrating hassle.

They aren't cracking down on foreign mortgages, they're cracking down on irresponsible lending full stop. I don't know about you, but lending cash to someone that you don't know isn't really the best idea. The decline of the "bank manager" in the UK hurt SME's immensely, after all.

Quote:
Then there was the hospital that charged me 600Zl for a scan even after I had shown them my British passport.

Again, you're obliged to present proof of your insurance. I have to present proof of my insurance when I go to the doctor here, as does every other person in Poland. A British passport won't cut it - you need the EHIC card to prove that you're insured. Don't blame them for you not having the correct documentation.

Quote:
The list's endless mate........Poles never miss a trick when it comes to getting money from Jonnie foreigner as all those on this thread who haven't been paid by a school know.

I'd argue that the foreigners don't miss a trick when it comes to screwing Poles, too. I mean, a tenner an hour to talk in your own language? There are certainly plenty of completely incompetent "teachers" out there taking hard earned money from Poles.
Daktari

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

My monthly standing order is my banking history and my passport proof of who I am and my official address document proof of where I live in Poland. My BUPA health insurance, meant they should have billed BUPA directly EHIC card or not. Actually the hospital BUPA referred me to ie their partner hospital, the military one, wanted cash....totally against the policy btw.

And don't single out Uk banks.....the sub prime problem screwed UK banks because many of them had underwritten US ones...the City of London being a bick risk management hub...you may have heard. The current war on banks by the US seems to be targeting foreign ones. We've had 2 bank bailouts and our banking sector is quite robust. What price is WBK owned by Santander? The Polish crisis will have not if but when, especially as flat prices continue to fall and energy prices continue to rise. Poland has been helped much by EU money...what we're seeing now isn't a true reflection of the underlying economy. And looking at GDP figures is misleading if all the gains benefit the wealthy minority. Poles have much more access to credit now...it's time bomb.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

Daktari wrote:
My monthly standing order is my banking history and my passport proof of who I am and my official address document proof of where I live in Poland. My BUPA health insurance, meant they should have billed BUPA directly EHIC card or not. Actually the hospital BUPA referred me to ie their partner hospital, the military one, wanted cash....totally against the policy btw.

With the credit card - the meldunek (that you got from the Urzad Miasta) isn't a valid residency document in the eyes of Polish law. It is merely a registration of your temporary address - which is not the same as residency.

The public hospital wouldn't have had a clue what to do with the BUPA insurance - not unless they had an official agreement signed. If BUPA didn't have an agreement in place - well, it's not the hospital's fault.

As for the military hospital wanting cash - did you report it straight to BUPA?

(then again, having had personal experience with BUPA, they couldn't give a rats ass about their clients)
Daktari

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Yep that residency thing sure is a nightmare. Why does an EU citizen have to register the address anyways and why won't anyone just tell me my bloody NIP and PESEL numbers from when I lived/worked in Poland before kartaor no karta. The fact that I'm only in Poland for three weeks every 6 weeks complicates things too.

Re BUPA, the Poles put a bloody great cast on my leg from hip to toe and told me I had a broken leg according to the x-ray. I flew back to the UK, injecting myself with Clexane, so as not to have bloodclots and pitched up at the loacal NHS fracture unit. The doctors promptly pulled in all the interns to a-laugh at my cast and b-show them an example of bad healthcare. The said docs cracked it open scanned my knee with a high tech gigizmo and declared it unbroken but with ligament damage. Off to BUPA the very next day for a CT scan, who confirmed ligament damage and no break. BUPA are fine in the UK....I'm not sure about their partner hospitals in less developed countries like Poland tho'.
greggie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I gotta say i have been with WBK for 7 years now, do not have permanent residency, but have my Karte Pobytu. I have a silver visa card and a gold mastercard. So i cant see what all the crying is about? About the Poles in the UK, in order for them to get any form of Credit they fall under the 3-rule law, which means they should be able to prove that they have lived,worked,and banked in the same place for 3 years. As for WBK being owned by Santander, why is that a problem?in the past it was part of AIB, not many Polish banks today are owned by Polish.

Nowadays you also need to be careful with the KP, as it only shows you have the right to live in Poland and too many expats think its like a passport, be careful you can leave Poland but not return with it. As for having direct debits on your account no matter how much they are it doesnt mean a thing to the banking system here, i know i transfer a lot of dollars in and out. And its exactly the same back in the UK, banks wont give you better treatment because you transfer money. Here they class it as a payment and nothing else, and if its regular and as big as you keep saying, it shows you in a negative light as it means you have a big debt outside of Poland. But hey i dont know anything, just got a first in Financial Management.
greggie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Your mistake was leaving WBK, they will give you a credit card, you just need to get a form signed at your place of work, and have an account there. They can accept the transfer as proof of income, its against EU Banking regulations, to prevent fraud etc... and i just got that from my branch manager.
Daktari

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Thanks for that Greggie, I'll go and see WBK again when I'm home in 3 weeks, I've already got the bank/employer/salary letter....I need a second Polish bank account anyways, so 1 can deal with child support etc and the other my personal banking. I knew all the AIB boys back in the 90's-all have left now, which is a shame as the Irish are always good fun. It was actually an AIB/WBK director who advised me to look elsewhere......he was losing his job at the time......and drink was involved :-)

As for debt? I don't have a single loan and owe money to no-one. Standing orders between countires are all part of the being wise and not paying tax thing. I think I've got 180 days in Poland annually anyways but it's better to be safe than sorry. Also, should my greedy ex-wife try and take me to court I have money outside Poland.....:-)

I actually wanted to open an HSBC account but the bank in Stary Browar mysteriously disappeared hence the quest for other options.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: