Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why so many Saudi jobs?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 15% was said to be temporary but everyone assumed that it would just continue. This new policy means in effect that salaries are being cut.

The more I think about it, the happier I am that I left when I did ! (Summer 2011)
powerpuffgirl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the tickets, I spoke to two of my friends who are teaching at two different government unis in saudi. This is what they told me.
Jessiemiles

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
The previous poster heard that "direct hires in government unis this summer no longer got their annual family air tickets if they worked summer"

First time I heard it and I know quite a few teaching at KFUPM. Has anyone real hard information,. rather than hearsay ?

My contract with PNU says that if a teacher does not repatriate in summertime, they are paid 50% of the value of the airfare.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 50% cash-in-lieu of summer ticket has been the norm for many years, but NO PAYMENT AT ALL ????
Jessiemiles

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
The 50% cash-in-lieu of summer ticket has been the norm for many years, but NO PAYMENT AT ALL ????

Hopefully not becoming the new norm.
dackinator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm not looking in the right places but I haven't been able to find much at all. There are dozens of adverts on dave's job listings, and on other big tefl websites, but they're all agencies advertising for the one same job - the text on all of them is exactly the same!
Unfortunately that one job wants 4 years experience while I only have 3.
gelynch52ph

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Create another year of experience Reply with quote

dackinator wrote:
Maybe I'm not looking in the right places but I haven't been able to find much at all. There are dozens of adverts on dave's job listings, and on other big tefl websites, but they're all agencies advertising for the one same job - the text on all of them is exactly the same!
Unfortunately that one job wants 4 years experience while I only have 3.

Unless you are only 3 years out of college you should be able to extend a couple of your contracts in order to have them add up to 4 years. Lots of people have done that and even worse things in order to "qualify" for employment. My experience is over 11 years so no need for that, but no previous employer has ever been contacted by a potential KSA employer even though my references have been on hand for that eventuality.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: