Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to keep the "fast" student occupied?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ncaraway

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: How to keep the "fast" student occupied? Reply with quote

Deleted by author

Last edited by ncaraway on Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since these forums are more job focused, you might want to check out the Stuff for Teachers link: http://www.eslcafe.com/teachers/
ncaraway

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted by author

Glenski

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a box and fill it with books and magazines, including coloring books and comics. Buy Scrabble and easy crossword puzzle books. Stuff like that. When someone finishes early (in earnest), they get to spend a little time with the "bonus box".
ncaraway

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted by author

nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncaraway wrote:
I tried, without success, to access the Stuff for Teachers forums. Yes, I can see the posts but I can't search or post. There appears to be a disconnect between the login for this forum and the login for that one. When I try to login using the credentials for this forum it says my account is inactive. I contacted the site owner but never got a reply. I guess I'll just keep posting questions here. Confused

It requires separate registration.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's happening regularly, it's a lesson planning issue. If you know you have mixed abilities in a class you need to plan accordingly. Tasks should be scalable so they suit all the abilities in class.

That often means producing different variations of the test, worksheet, etc so the weaker students have additional guidance and help, and the stonger students have additional questions that challenge them.

If you always go for a one-size-fits-all approach you'll often find that the weaker students get panicked by the harder questions that are beyond them, and the stronger students get bored if the questions are too easy and aren't stretching them. Both are likely to lead to classroom management issues in the long run.
VietCanada

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried a couple things at the elementary level with success.

Here's a few suggestions.

Ask the students who finish early to help their friends. Or tell them too. This a project as you probably need to coach them to explain in their own language rather than just tell them the answers.

Give the early finishers a project to work on or challenge them to do a project, related to the course of course.It could be an essay or labeled diagram or something. It could be something that takes longer than the a single class of extra time.

Print extra worksheets that are a bit more difficult to do and hand them out when needed.

Have them write the answers to whatever they are doing on the board.

Challenge them to make their own questions related to the topic and exchange them with their earlier finishing peers.

Have them exchange and mark each others work. They must decide who's correct when their answers differ.

Discern their common interests and teach them that while you wait for the others to finish their work. It could be anything- science, math, culture.

Have a conversation with them to challenge their learning to date.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: