Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESL University Position full time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Jbhughes



Joined: 01 Jul 2010
Posts: 254

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: ESL University Position full time Reply with quote

EFLeducator wrote:

I knew I should have went to Japan or South Korea like I had originally wanted to.

Is this 'Merican?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
1st Sgt Welsh



Joined: 13 Dec 2010
Posts: 538
Location: Salalah, Oman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
1st Sgt Welsh wrote:
kurtz wrote:


Anyway, back on topic.

It would be interesting to hear more about uni positions.


Agreed. To other readers, I'm sorry if there is any confusion between what I wrote and how kurtz replied. I originally wrote a longer post which discussed Thailand, Cambodia and a few others things. However, after hitting 'Submit' I decided that I was getting a bit too far off topic so I edited it.

In regards to dating, relationships with the opposite sex etc I think it's an interesting discussion so I'll start a new thread on it and see how it goes Smile.


Waiting for that thread...


Sorry Prof Gringo but I guess you'll just have to keep on waiting. I started a thread on it, it lasted about a day and then it got deleted Confused.

EFLeducator wrote:


HCMC works great for the non professional party types but for someone who is SERIOUS about TEFLing and has serious qualifications like I do, well let's just say HCMC is a joke.


I guess it depends on who you work for. Personally, I would say that ACET, the British Council and RMIT are SERIOUS organizations when it comes to teaching. They can all be found in Saigon and they're not exactly tiny schools either. I'm sure others schools could be named as well.

EFLeducator wrote:


I knew I should have went to Japan or South Korea like I had originally wanted to. [/i]


Well, I guess if you arrive here with such a negative attitude, you are only setting yourself up to have a miserable time Rolling Eyes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prof.Gringo



Joined: 07 Nov 2006
Posts: 2011
Location: Paradise, Paradise, Paradise!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st Sgt Welsh wrote:
Prof.Gringo wrote:
1st Sgt Welsh wrote:
kurtz wrote:


Anyway, back on topic.

It would be interesting to hear more about uni positions.


Agreed. To other readers, I'm sorry if there is any confusion between what I wrote and how kurtz replied. I originally wrote a longer post which discussed Thailand, Cambodia and a few others things. However, after hitting 'Submit' I decided that I was getting a bit too far off topic so I edited it.

In regards to dating, relationships with the opposite sex etc I think it's an interesting discussion so I'll start a new thread on it and see how it goes Smile.


Waiting for that thread...


Sorry Prof Gringo but I guess you'll just have to keep on waiting. I started a thread on it, it lasted about a day and then it got deleted Confused.

EFLeducator wrote:


HCMC works great for the non professional party types but for someone who is SERIOUS about TEFLing and has serious qualifications like I do, well let's just say HCMC is a joke.


I guess it depends on who you work for. Personally, I would say that ACET, the British Council and RMIT are SERIOUS organizations when it comes to teaching. They can all be found in Saigon and they're not exactly tiny schools either. I'm sure others schools could be named as well.

EFLeducator wrote:


I knew I should have went to Japan or South Korea like I had originally wanted to. [/i]


Well, I guess if you arrive here with such a negative attitude, you are only setting yourself up to have a miserable time Rolling Eyes.


Thanks anyways!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prof.Gringo



Joined: 07 Nov 2006
Posts: 2011
Location: Paradise, Paradise, Paradise!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: ESL University Position full time Reply with quote

EFLeducator wrote:
Tigerstyleone wrote:
EFLeducator wrote:
[

I'll try and let you know if I'm not too busy. Heading to HCMC on Monday. Paradise here I come!!! Well, according to Prof. Gringo it's paradise. Cool


I guess you're too busy in Paradise. Paradise.


Paradise is now Southern Indiana. HCMC works great for the non professional party types but for someone who is SERIOUS about TEFLing and has serious qualifications like I do, well let's just say HCMC is a joke.

I knew I should have went to Japan or South Korea like I had originally wanted to.


It's nice to actually be somewhere before you make comments on it...

BTW S. Indiana is a scumbag dump if I ever saw one and guess what? YES, I have been there and I hope I NEVER go back there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prof.Gringo



Joined: 07 Nov 2006
Posts: 2011
Location: Paradise, Paradise, Paradise!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigerstyleone wrote:
We all know what he means by "paradise."

His $18-$20 an hour is just a smoke screen.

If he was so concerned about his wage then he wouldn't work in Vietnam.
Korea, for example pays airfare upfront, free housing, National pension which is free money, and a full month's severance pay after one year, and then return airfare. Moreover he has a Master's which is a shoe in for a uni position in Korea which means less teaching hours and more pay, around $2500+ per month not to mention 3-4 months of paid vacation a year. And with those low teaching hours its very easy to earn another $500 or more teaching privates in the evening and weekends or $2000-$3000 camps and special classes during vacation time.

A fool can save $10,000 a year in Korea, and up to $15,000+ with minimal effort. The only problem with Korea is that a 44 year old man can't get laid there, so that's where Vietnam becomes paradise.

Paradise, paradise


I would pick VN over Korea anyday. I don't care if Korea paid me 100 bucks an hour, bro!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hoochi Coochi Man



Joined: 17 Nov 2009
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigerstyleone wrote:
EFLeducator wrote:
DNK wrote:


1.5-2 years for non-backpackers seems to be the norm ime.


Unless they find true love and one of those 18 to 20 bucks an hour jobs like Prof. Gringo is working on.


Thanks for posting prof. gringo's salary on a public forum. Now that we know what he is paid per hour, can you please tell us how many hours he works per month and what he is paid per month.
Does he do get paid for all his prep time too? Does he have office hours?
Is he freelance or a contract teacher? Does he ever splurge on imported coffee?
Please include his visa status and relationship status too.
If you know his personal email and phone number post that too so we can all get a piece of Paradise. Paradise.


None of your business where Prof. Gringo works, lives, eats or sleeps. If you care so much, why don't you send him a PM???
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TRH



Joined: 27 Oct 2011
Posts: 189
Location: HCMC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: What? Reply with quote

What does any of this have to do with full time ESL university positions? I have no interest in university positions but I don't like to be cut off from information. You people really want this thread to be locked up don't you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tigerstyleone



Joined: 26 Mar 2010
Posts: 181

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoochi Coochi Man wrote:

None of your business where Prof. Gringo works, lives, eats or sleeps. If you care so much, why don't you send him a PM???


You really should develop your social skills to recognize sarcasm.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prof.Gringo



Joined: 07 Nov 2006
Posts: 2011
Location: Paradise, Paradise, Paradise!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigerstyleone wrote:
Hoochi Coochi Man wrote:

None of your business where Prof. Gringo works, lives, eats or sleeps. If you care so much, why don't you send him a PM???


You really should develop your social skills to recognize sarcasm.


And we should refrain from personal attacks as well Idea
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC